Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Angstmetzger posted:

Seconding this opinion. My rice cooker has made my life a lot easier and cheaper on the food budget. Best advice I can give on this is look for one that can take 3 cups of uncooked rice as its capacity and look for one with a steaming tray. Cooking the rice and getting the veggies steamed saves a lot of time making dinner.

Thirding this. Rice cooker is one of the best things that you can buy to help save money.

I just got this one from Amazon for 1/8th the price of one of the fuzzy logic ones, but the rice it makes is freaking perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O828KE

It has a bunch of nifty features that are not ridiculous and unnecessary, as well as a steamer basket, and the best nonstick bowl I have ever seen. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

babies havin rabies posted:

I usually drain at least half of it out. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong but if I leave it all in I get little seperated streaks of grease in the finished gravy.

You need to add the flour directly to the sausage, BEFORE the milk, and then cook that for a bit(5 minutes+), otherwise you get the floury taste, and that may account for your separation issues as well.

Edit: Don't drain the grease. You are making a roux out of flour and that grease.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Most meat freezes well. Optional step that can slightly improve quality, put any meats into the fridge for a few hours first to get them as cold as possible before putting them in the freezer. Being warmer after a trip from the grocery store to your home means longer to freeze, which means bigger ice crystals and more cell damage. This changes the texture a little bit, and you'll notice more moisture coming out of the meat when thawing.

To thaw, you can either pull the meat out of the freezer and put it back into the fridge for a day or two, or put it into a plastic bag and submerge in cold water for about an hour. I highly recommend against trying to defrost in the microwave. Every piece of meat I have ever done this way ends up having a really off-putting taste, even if you do manage not to cook the edges a little by the time the center is defrosted.

As far as what to do with meat, the sky is the limit. Marinate if you want, just know that any marinade is likely to burn pretty easily on high heat, so be a little more careful. Just go check out recipes that look good. Try new stuff. Experiment. It's hard to make good meat taste BAD, it's just varying degrees of deliciousness. I would recommend just getting some of those chicken thighs (bone in/skin on are a little better if you can get them, but boneless/skinless are still great) and just heavily salt and pepper them, then fry up in 50/50 oil and butter. That by itself is delicious. Bonus points if you smash a clove of garlic and toss it into the oil in the last 2-3 minutes. If you have an herb garden/balcony planter, a sprig of rosemary tossed in with the garlic is awesome.

Experiment with the amount of salt you put on the meat. At first, the right amount will actually look like a lot, but a good bit comes off in the pan when you cook it, and you also have to have enough salt to account for all of the meat on the inside that doesn't get direct contact.

The one "trick" with cooking meat, is to always let it rest after cooking(unless cooked sous vide). Take it off the heat, put it on a plate and either put it into a warm oven (like, 140f or lower), or just cover in foil and let it sit on the counter. This allows the juices inside the meat to redistribute and settle back into the meat, instead of being squeezed out. If you don't, the meat will feel drier in your mouth, even if there is a big puddle of juice on your plate. Any juices that do accumulate on the resting plate, pour back over the meat when serving. It's loving delicious, and looks like you made a sauce. The general rule for how long to let it rest is "Half the time it spent cooking", so if it takes 10 minutes to cook the chicken thighs, let them rest for 5 minutes.

There are a lot of good resources out there. Watch some videos. Read some recipes. If/when you go out to eat and order meat, pay attention to what you like about it. How cooked is it? How salty? What cut of meat did the menu say it was? Take of note of these things and you can try to replicate at home.

My last tip: get a meat thermometer like this guy. Learning to cook to the temperature that you like is important. 10 degrees can be the difference between deliciousness and dry, chewy jerky.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 27, 2017