Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Thirding (forthing?) the ham suggestion.

Last Christmas, we got two hams. Ham soup (make like chicken stock: ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, some spices... boil the poo poo out of it for many hours.

Don't boil your stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

jazz babies posted:

1. Throw pork loin into slow cooker.
2. Cover with a can of root beer.
3. Wait 8 hours.
4. Shred and consume with favourite BBQ sauce.

I'm being serious and it tastes awesome. Two meals worth of meat right there, more if you eat smaller portions.

Use something like shoulder or butt at least. :colbert: Cheaper than a loin and is better for slow cooking. Also, use some fuckin seasonings.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You mean football?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is your yeast dead?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Tinfoil Price posted:

Wat. Duck fat is amazing for hashbrowns, scallops, eggs etc. Same with beef tallow. If you can't taste the animal fat then you're adding too much spices. We may simply have different preferences for where we obtain flavor. I like the flavors from animal fats to be subtle, and usually use them in/on the main starch/protein rather than to sautee aromatics. I tend to err on the side of underspicing, so I may just be doing things wrong.

:psyduck:

Edit: Also, I hope to god you're not making the mac part of chili mac and the spaghetti part of spaghetti in the crock pot. :barf:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Logiwonk posted:

6) Radishes - but why would you want those?

:psyduck: :catstare:

Radishes own.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Beet gratin is fantastic. Don't listen to dino. :colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't really have a recipe, but I like to slice really thin, layer in a casserole with salt, pepper, a bit of butter, and some thyme and bake at 350 until bubbly and you can pass a knife through.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love beet pickles :allears: But normal canned beets are horrible.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Is it a bad idea to buy dried beans in bulk?

Depends on how much you eat beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

I gotta say that after this thread inspired me to make my own chicken stock a few times and learning to buy and use the whole chicken, something magical happened. It became easy enough for me to play it by ear- I don't need to consult online guides or notes, I just stash chicken bones, onion skins, carrot ends and wilted celery in baggies in the freezer till it's time to replenish the stash. All this stuff was garbage to me before, so it feels pretty awesome to be turning it into something delicious and useful.

Congrats, you're moving away from being a man-child (or woman-child).