Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

:qq: Freedom :qq:
I got about 5 minutes until Dungeon Defenders finishes downloading. So I'll make this quick. This is a recipe for poached chicken parts in white wine.

1. Buy the cheapest chicken parts you can get. Thighs where I live go for less than 1.5 bucks a pound.

2. Buy one of those Italian Seasoning grinders, they will last you forever.

3. Get some carrots and celery. You can snack on what you don't use.

4. Get a bottle of decent but cheap dry white wine. Barefoot is pretty awesome for the price.

5. Cut up the carrots and celery like you would making carrot sticks, and sautee them in olive oil, butter, or margerine. (butter is best but expensive I know)

6. Put equal parts wine and water in a casserole dish enough to cover the chicken and veggies. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, and your awesome italian seasoning all over it.

7. Cook on 350 for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. You'll know it's done when you poke it with a fork and there's no blood coming out.

You can get a lot of distance out of this recipe and get tons of protein and vegie-ness. Poached chicken looks gross but tastes amazing. If you are using white meat like breasts, reduce the cooking time by about 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

I love Frank's Red Hot. Marinate some fresh chicken wings in Franks overnight (or thaw out some cheap-rear end frozen ones, then marinate), place a drying rack over a cookie sheet and bake the wings on that. Tasty and crispy, and wings are pretty cheap.

Did you know that if you save the bones from hot wings to make stock, the stock has a very slight kick to it? It was a pleasant surprise.

Where I live, the wings are the most expensive part of the chicken (more expensive by pound than breasts). I guess because of the popularity of chicken wings.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Another recipe. Potato and leek soup. Fuckin cheap and utterly delicious.

Chop up potatoes (around 3 medium) and leeks (one stalk thingy). Add carrots and celery or other vegetables if you have them. Have enough water in a pot large enough to engulf all the veges. Boil until potatoes are soft. Liquify in a food processor (or mash with a fork for a while if you cant afford a 25 dollar food processor).

Salt and pepper!!

Jesus christ this poo poo is delicious.

Add cream and refrigerate for vichyssoise.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I came across this blog today, it's pretty good. Real food, costed out with each ingredient and then per serving. Plus the about sections have some very good info as well. If nothing else it will show you that you can eat much better than loving ramen on a tight budget. http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/

Most of the recipes are side dishes and the ones that aren't are far more expensive. Get one of the mastering the art of french cooking cookbooks or the essentials of classic italian cooking. Use your brain to figure out what's cheap. It will all be worth eating.

Did you know you can make a dish using garlic, olive oil, and angel hair pasta?? (OWNAGE)

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Wow you sure did PWN me there man. Also what the gently caress are you talking about mostly side dishes and expensive things? You do realize that blogs often have more than one page of entries right? Maybe you should try using your brain to figure that out. I share a helpful resource for beginners and you poo poo it up. Shut up.

I went through several pages of that blog looking for some new recipes and it was 80% side dishes 20% expensive main courses. Wasn't trying to PWN you or anything just opining.

Seconding wormil on the cook this not that series. I've skimmed through some of those at the local bookstore, and it has some great cheap meals. Quiches, omelettes, burgers, etc.

@picklejars: this time of year you might be able to get pounds and pounds of walnuts for insane prices if you keep your eye on them nuts. America.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ramen really isn't a great thing to eat a lot of.

I have to add that I completely disagree with this point. Ramen is basically carbs, protein, and salt. These are things your body needs. Eat this poo poo if you're poor it will keep you alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Lots of good stuff in this thread. More advice. Eggs and ham. Buy an 18 dollar ham it will last you a month and a half as a single person. Ham and eggs. Ham sandwiches. Stuff a chicken breast with some ham and cheese and you are pretty drat close to cordon blue (the original double down). Wrap a cheese stick in ham and you have ghetto prosciutto wrapped mozzarella.

Also, eggs can be cooked in so many ways it is insane. My favorite is fried with salt, pepper, and some italian seasoning from that italian seasoning grinder you were supposed to buy.

Edit: serve with ham