Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odrade
May 1, 2009
This is a great thread! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, me and the other half are going back on a £25 a week food budget this year (haven't done this since our undergrad years) and there's some great ideas here.

I know lots of people have mentioned roasting a whole chicken and using all the bits. Seriously, that's the best tip of all. If you make extra vegies and gravy you can have bubble & squeak the next day, which is the food of gods. Then we use the stock to make risotto with squid tubes and a small amount of german imitation chorizo that we get for cheap from Lidl. Has anyone mentioned squid tubes? They're cheap as poo poo but I can't think of anything else to do with them apart from risotto or battering and frying them.

Another cheap fish in the UK is coley. You can often get it cut into blocks and frozen. This (or probably any fish) is really nice floured and shallow fried, and served with lentils cooked with onions, lemon or lime juice, curry powder or paste, and mango chutney to taste. As others have said, get all pastes, powders and chutneys from a local ethnic supermarket and they're a million times cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU