Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

My Little Puni posted:

Also, I'm not vegetarian. I like meat, if me and my boyfriend don't eat it, we don't get full, and that is usually where most of the expense comes from. But I've found buying a bag of frozen chicken breasts is quite helpful and lasts quite a while.

You can stretch your grocery dollars farther if you're not just buying the most expensive part of the animal. Chicken breasts are convenient for when you're lazy and want to cut out the prep work but other parts are much cheaper, even if you're not carving whole chickens yourself. Bone-in thighs have a lot of meat on them and are way cheaper than boneless breasts.

Look around the meat department, there will probably be a fair number of odd cuts offered at much lower prices than the more recognizable cuts. There's nothing wrong with any of them, people are just needlessly picky. Also try out organ meats, they're usually super cheap.

EDIT: Also people have repeatedly mentioned making stock; do this! You can make beef/chicken stock out of spare parts and then use it to flavor otherwise meatless dishes with delicious animal murder without having to buy any additional meat. If you've only ever had canned/instant broth before the difference is amazing; this stuff is very much full of meaty goodness and even if you're used to eating a lot of meat it will fill you up.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU