Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My Little Puni posted:

Also, leeks, they are so interesting and I always want to buy some, but I have no idea what I should use them for or what they taste like. I imagine they are kind of like green onions.

Leek are great for lots of things, but quite different from green onions taste-wise.
They tend to be rather expensive here and often only sold in bundles which I can, living alone, never use before they dry out, but what I did recently was buy a bundle, slice it up and freeze it in a couple of ziploc bags. Why didn't I think of that before...
And pretty much the same story with bell peppers.

Darval posted:

Liking this thread a lot. Some of the prices make me sad though, I wish I could buy food at some of the prices you US goons list, here in Denmark. Can't seem to find a big bag of beans anywhere cheap.
This! (DK goon too.)
I'll try to make a point of visiting ethnic stores and grocers more often, I think those are your best bet for big bags of beans etc. (If you live in Copenhagen, there is a large Asian/Thai store in Valby, visit it just for the vegetables and rice.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darval posted:

(DK goon shopping stuff)
If you're ever close to Nørreport, check out the new market next to it, Torvehallerne. Most of the stuff there is hipster foodie expensive, but there are sometimes stalls outside with some great deals. There's a fruits and greens stall outside which has some high quality stuff which is often cheaper than the supermarket stuff. How are the prices at the Valby place? And is there parking available at it?

Torvehallerne is a strange place, really. I like the idea, but it seems to be undermined by stores with poor selection and steep prices, at least for some things. I have found good deals on vegetables and fruit, and I need to take a better look at the spice store there some time.

I'll confess to only having actually visited that Asian store once, but the greens they have tend to be half or less than regular supermarket prices. There's plenty of parking (map) so go hog wild or whatever.

This is a bit of a derail, it'll probably be better to move any further of this to private!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've never cooked it with red lentils, but I'm skeptical given the fact that red lentils aren't TOO resilient when cooked for extended periods of time...maybe I'll try it sometime and report back

I tried cooking rice with red lentils recently, I think about 3 parts rice and 1 part lentils. Just cook them together to get a more interesting rice that also looks much more interesting with little yellow spots all over.
I wasn't too happy with the result of equal parts lentils and rice, however.
It doesn't work as a meal in itself, but it's a fine way to spice up your rice.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Now, what do I do with the left over onions I bought? The market I stopped by after work didn't sell single onions so I have a bag of onions now.They didn't sell single potatoes either but at least with the potatoes I could bake them, make potato puree, hash browns or cut them up into chunks and fry/bake them. But I have no idea what to do with the onions.

Get some bacon.
Chop bacon and onion.
Make mashed potatoes.
Fry bacon, fry onions in the rendered bacon fat. Ideally, both bacon and onions should be crisp.
Serve as mountain of potato-mash on plate with bacon/onion spread over.

On the other hand, the bacon makes this not-that-cheap.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Saint Darwin posted:

Re: home made pasta, what would I do in lieu of a machine? Semolina flour isnt expensive but unless I'm hand cutting strands of spaghetti I dont know what I can do.

I've had some success with a plain rolling pin and a knife. It's hard getting super thin pasta, or even width strands, but it's certainly doable.
After rolling out the pasta mass thinly, fold it over a couple of times to make the distance you need to cut smaller, just make sure to quickly un-fold the strands and hang them, so they don't stick together.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The fresh pasta you make and immediately cook is cheaper than 75 cents a lb and will be better than the $5 a lb pasta

Seriously everyone make your own pasta its great

This may not be the cheapest homemade pasta, but it looks good. (And the portion made yesterday was good too.)
2 dl flour to 1 large egg, knead together. Use additional water and flour to fix dryness/wetness. It should be firm and dry to touch, but not crumbling.

You don't need a pasta machine, just a cookie roller and a knife. Hell, you could even use a cookie cutter for really fancy pasta!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

This looks awesome and I think I'm gonna try it out next week. How long do they take to cook usually? And how long does fresh pasta stay? I usually like to make big batches of stuff at the beginning of the week so I don't have to worry about anything when I get home from work.

Boil 2-3 minutes, depending on how thinly you rolled it. Just make a simple sauce with some fresh greens, maybe add a bit of pesto to it.

I'm not sure how well it keeps. If you make egg pasta you should probably eat it within a few days, if you want to keep it for longer it's probably better to make it without eggs, just water and flour. Also if you store the cut/shaped pasta, be careful about it sticking together.
You can perhaps make a large portion of dough and keep it refrigerated in a tightly closed freezer bag, then roll and shape some when you need it. The bag should prevent it from drying out in storage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Is freezing fresh pasta good? I'm thinking I'll make a log, cut them into slices, freeze them individually and then use as needed.

Egg-pasta might not be good for freezing, but not sure.
If you're going to freeze it, you should probably roll it out to plates first, to avoid large balls that take forever to thaw all the way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PiratePing posted:

I've tried that and the results have been mixed, after wilting and barely surviving for a while some would start to grow roots and then start producing leaves again. It was a totally useless endeavour, cut basil stays fresh way longer wrapped in a wet towel in the fridge. I think basil needs too much water, without roots it simply can't suck up enough. I've had good luck with parsley though.

But yes buy pots and only pick the top leaves. If you look closely you can see tiny babyleaves in the "armpits" of every pair of big leaves. If you pinch the stem off just above those the babyleaves will both grow into a new stalk. This is why a healthy basil plant will only get better and bushier the more you abuse it. Putting it in a bigger pot than the one it came in from the store might help prevent drying out as well as letting them soak up water from below instead of watering from above. Direct sunlight is also very important.

I've had a million basil plants die on me no matter what I did, then suddenly it stopped. It's like the Basil Fairy granted me a wish, I have no clue what I'm doing differently. Meanwhile every fern I touch dies :iiam:

Every time I've tried keeping a potted herb bought in a supermarket, it has succumbed to a mold in the roots or similar after a few weeks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Faithless posted:

BRITGOONS - Best place to buy cheap meat?

Don't know about England for sure, but in Denmark independent halal butcher shops tend to have quite low prices. They don't carry pork though, for obvious reasons.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What's a good choice for daily protein? I've been eating mostly beef, but that's not a good long term choice at all since it's pricy.

Also, what cut of meat should I use for chili that's relatively inexpensive but still does what I want?

Beans, and eggs are also an option.
Any meat can get amazingly tender if you can spare the time to cook it for several hours, so feel free to buy any cheap cut that would never be edible if cooked as a steak.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

10 Beers posted:

What is the ingredient "bitter" in this recipe?

Only thing I can think of is a bitter liquor like Angostura, but 500 ml is a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HydeLyde posted:

I've been doing seasoned breasts in some water in a covered pan to get them easily shreddable. Would you do the same for thighs?

I'd roast them skin-on in the oven, and remove the skin before shredding. That should keep it the most moist.
Afterwards, you can optionally boil the skin and bones, to extract some gelatin. Remove the skin and bones, filter out the worst impurities, and reduce further. Use the tasty chicken gelatin to thicken the salad.

(This is completely untested, try at your own risk!)