Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Noricae posted:

Oh yeah, great advice! Also those flour/grain pantry moths (they're -all over- southern California) live forever in the tiniest crevices and chew through bags and paper to get to things. Any bulk stuff I would recommend freezing for a couple of days to kill anything in it (heh, gross but not as gross as larva in it a month later). Loose grain? Cocoa? Dried peppers? Nuts? They eat all sorts of stuff other than flour.
The thing that made the biggest difference for me with those little bastards is pheromone based traps. If something dry is in the pantry for 8+ months i still find a little webbing in there & toss it but the problem is minimal compared to even just using glass storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Eden posted:

I admit I didn't browse the seafood section while there but from what I saw and understand, I would not be shopping at the Queen Victoria Market if I was shopping on a budget.

I live across the road from QVM. It's not all high end, for fruit & veg the further from the fish & meat section you go the better the bargains. With meat & fish you look for specials.
Or just buy what you like and save money elsewhere, enjoying good food is the greatest pleasure in life.