Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
When it comes to meat, I find a mostly veg diet and patience will pay off big. Get your meat when it's cheap - check out local farmer's markets and keep an eye in your megamart for stuff that's coming close to its expiry (in most of the ones locally, you can get stuff 50% off that way - you simply have to freeze or cook very promptly) and then flesh out your diet with whole grains (rice and quinoa are excellent choices), grain products (some flat- and quick-breads are really cheap and delicious), legumes (beans, lentils and my personal favourite, split pea soup), and fresh or frozen veg depending on season and cost.

As for meat, my tactic was using stewing hens. You can get whole stewing hens (which are older chickens who have grown out of their usefulness as egg-layers) for like $8 at my local farmer's market (hopefully yours is similar). Then you dismember your chicken and have excellent meat for stewing applications (don't try and fry these birds) and a carcass for stock-making. Both the stewing and stock-making can be done on a weekend with relatively little effort beyond a little time and great reward (freeze stock; make delicious, cheap-as-gently caress soup until it runs out and used stewed chicken as an ingredient in stir fries and such for part of the week). I'd also take advantage of local buying trends at my megamart; they'd always bring in corned beef brisket (which is amazing, but my mum's English, so ymmv) but it would never sell to our specific customer base; so I could get a half-dozen for 50% off and be in sandwiches for weeks every time the expiry started to loom.

Also, crock-pot. Check out your local goodwill, thrift stores and garage sales for a second-hand one (got mine for $12) and take advantage of the fact you can prep stuff the night before, throw it in and turn it on in the morning, and come home to a hearty stew or similar. The old slow-cooking thread is available in the Goldmine: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2775050

lonelywurm fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU