Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE
On the subject of lentils, they're great with onion, garlic, tomato, some beef or vegetable stock and a little ground clove. It's great with a toasted tortilla on the side, or a little rice. I actually prefer lentils to beans because no amount of soaking dry beans will get all of the gas-producing starch out.

Also if you're looking for a way to add some depth to a pot of beans and rice, try adding some salt pork. It's like bacon but it comes in little blocks. When you do this, you are mainly adding fat to the dish, so only do it every once in a while.

If anyone is offended by the texture of leafy greens like Spinach then try Collard Greens. Collards have a much tougher texture more like thin sheets of Broccoli. They're a little on the sour side, but they fry up really well with a little bit of oil.

When buying spices, try to buy whole seeds. If you can't afford or don't want to buy a grinder, then a Mortar and Pestle actually works really well. Bigger is better, as they tend to slide around when you're using them.

Also, you can live without a microwave, and some foods taste better after being reheated in a pot than they do from a microwave. If you don't like the way something tasted the first time you cooked it, reheating in a pot or in the oven is a great way to rework the flavor to something you would prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Yawgmoth posted:

Because the only weapons I'm good at wielding are melee range and deer are hard to sneak up on.

You just need to put some points into Ranged Weapons next time you level up. It's cool.

If anyone wants a way to make delicious vegetables, grains and seeds, then check out this thread on South Indian cooking. I've recently decided to cut meat out of my diet and the preparations in that thread are great for ideas.

Cook like an Indian, smell like an Indian.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

TEN XXXTRA LARGE
If I eat unsoaked or even soaked but undercooked beans I don't just get gassy, I get debilitating stomach cramps for the rest of the day and part of the next. It's really awkward to be going to the bathroom every 10 or 15 minutes at work for sweet, blessed relief. If you don't have a problem that's fine, but if you're ever cooking for other people please soak your beans.

You can also just boil them for a couple hours and throw out the water.

Chickpeas, Lentils, and other non-bean beans don't have this effect though so you're safe not soaking those.