Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Salad is super cheap and it wouldn't hurt anyone to eat a salad every day. I like to throw in a hard boiled egg and maybe some chopped ham. Marzetti dressing is the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

spite house posted:

Wait, people buy salad dressing?

I made dressing from scratch until I tried Marzetti. It tastes like homemade.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Rule .303 posted:

Instead you wind up with a translucent, gellid mass with meat crumbles. Nom.

I am a touch prejudiced here, but I find corn starch best used as an alternative to talcum powder, and gravy should be made with flour.
amything else, well, it isn't really gravy, now is it?

Different gravy is made with different flour. Cornstarch is good for gravy, as is flour. Do you want to make a roux or thicken some pan drippings? Do you have milk on hand or broth?

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 11, 2012

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

I cook some ramen noodles, put in some cheese, diced hot dogs or spam and crushed potato chips. Dirt cheap and oh so delicious :)

The idea of the thread is to make good food sir. That's just calories and salt with some protein and no fiber.

edit for content: I bought 1 and 1/4 pounds of flank stank for $9, and some broccoli for $3. Granted I had the soy sauce, wine, corn starch, and oyster sauce on hand, I got 4 meals out of $12 roughly.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 12, 2012

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Flour Bunny posted:

Here's a cheap recipie for ya! It's my grandma's from the 1930's. It cost about $3.00 Cnd and lasts about a week in the fridge.

1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 can cambells tomato soup (or no name if you like)
1/2 bag macaroni
3-4 cut up Wieners (optional)

Boil the macaroni then mix in all the tomato stuff. mix in the wieners if you're using them. Let it sit for about 5-10 mins in the pot on the stove with the heat off with the lid on. if the wieners are still a little cold just pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds.
You can top it with parmesan cheese if you like.

I know it's not really gourmet but it's really good and dirt cheap!

You can make this recipe twice as good by using ground beef instead of Wieners and adding some sauteed onion/celery.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I have a question for the people of this thread. As a Muslim I can't eat pork

You don't have to believe something just because it's old. That said, I love some fried catfish, and I don't think it gets any cheaper than that.

edit: As a Xenu I can't eat food. Any suggestions?

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 18, 2012

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Kenning posted:

Don't be stupid, we're trying to help people find something to cook that they want to eat.

It was just a goof, I'm all for helping this guy cook fish. But without region or what he has access to it's kind of a dumb question.

How do I cook meat? Well what kind of meat sir, what are you looking for?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

vonnegutt posted:

my local grocery does specialty and prepared foods cheap because they have to move merchandise quickly, whereas the Meijer or Walmart doesn't have this problem.

A lot of people, including me, no longer have a local grocery(I used to be able to do that like 10 years ago). Just a meijer or a Walmart. Which will be everyone eventually I assume.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Cube steak, milk, and potatoes are pretty cheap, and they make delicious chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Valdara posted:

I'm assuming that will work with other freezer-safe containers. I have tupperware coming out my ears and have zero space to store any more. Now to start searching for donut papers.

A foodsaver costs less than a hundred dollars and will pay for itself in a year. Buying mass quantities of meats and cheeses in bulk and separating it yourself is probably the best way to save money. Plus buying a chunk of cheese, using half of it, and being able to use the other half 2 months later is awesome.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Harminoff posted:

I would like to start doing this and would like some info on it. Is there a cheap kit I can get off of amazon? Also how much direct light would I need? I'm in Wisconsin so I wouldn't be able to have them outside, but I do have a kitchen window that I could put them in.

Google growing herbs?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know why more people don't hunt deer. My favorite meal is venison backstrap butterflied and cooked in butter with canned potatoes and onions.

It's probably about $3 per serving. Venison teriyaki is my second favorite meal of all time and probably cost $2 per serving.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Cross post:

Tar_Squid posted:

So if clam juice is for clamatos and clam chowder, what is kraut juice for?

I make this Polish soup I learned from my grandfather called Fos (Phos?). I've never seen it anywhere. There was something similar with duck blood but not close.

• For the broth it's ham hocks, prunes, and raisins cooked in kraut juice. Add some milk at the end.
  • Strain the broth, and shred the ham. Add more ham if you're not poor.
  • Boil and cut some potatoes into small cubes. Boil some Kluski noodles.
  • Add noodles, potatoes, ham, top with broth

Ham hocks are the most expensive part, but they're cheap.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

I love me some veggies but the prices for a lot of it can be a bit harsh. I've started to buy big discount frozen veggie packets, so does frozen stuff still have the same nutrients and vitamins the real deal has? I'd imagine at least some of it would disappear.

Disappear? Explain this thought process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Tar_Squid posted:

1- Aside from breakfast protein, sandwiches, and diced with skillet potatoes, anyone got any favorite recipes for ham?

Chef Salad, quiche.