Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Giant Goats posted:

Prices really do vary. The current prices for these at my local grocery store: bone-in chicken breasts ($6.49/lb. for the family pack), ground beef ($4.99/lb. for the family pack), pork chops ($5.99/lb.)

For that matter, a 5-pound bag of rice is $4.00 minimum, and a 1-pound bag of lentils is $3.00.

It really gets me when people act like those of us with $50 a week or more grocery bills are just retarded. Some of us live in places where food is expensive.

I feel you on this sentiment. I try to make dinners with some kind of meat and some kind of vegetable and maybe a starch, perhaps some bread when we have a pasta dinner. Then there are lunches, which can be leftovers sometimes. Breakfast can be really cheap since we usually have a frozen waffle each or a bowl of cheerios and split a banana. Then there is juice/juice boxes which I pay a premium for because those are the ones with only a couple of grams of sugar as opposed to others with like 25 grams in one serving. Oh yeah, and snacks for the little one. But if I can get everything for a week for $75, I am thrilled.

I guess I'm lucky that my kid is a really light eater, but I still have a hard time keeping my food budget a low as some of you guys in here, even with coupons. Call me jealous, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I just got my 16 quart stock pot the other day and made a giant batch of bolognese sauce from scratch tonight. It is full of veggies and meat and tasted absolutely delicious. I portioned it all out in baggies to go in the freezer. Including what we ate tonight, I got 15 batches. They ended up costing me around $2.36 each. Add some noodles and maybe some bread and there's dinner for less than 5 bucks.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

That's because spam is made with the bits of "meat" they they can only reach by blasting an air hose into the stripped carcass and collecting what meat particles the employees don't inhale (and later die from).

Gotta love a meal with a story behind it. But seriously, some of this stuff is just gross. Macaroni, tomatoes and hot dogs? Good god why?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd think this would also be pretty obvious, but don't buy more than you can consume before it goes bad. Buy for the week, consume more perishable things first, hardier things last. Things like carrots, potatoes, onions, broccoli last at least a week properly stored. Things like lettuce, spinach, asparagus go bad in a few days. Buy a few of each and plan to eat accordingly. Eating on the cheap is mostly planning.

I do something like this. I write down my menu for the week, make the list off of that, and go from there. You put meals with more perishable items earlier in the week. Having the list at the store also helps to keep me on track and only get what I need. It's also kinda fun to look around on the weekend for new ideas and build the week's menu around it. But maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

Since I only cook for my kid and myself, I've become better at only making what we will eat in one meal (we are terrible about eating leftovers). I make huge batches of bolognese and chicken stock and freeze in sandwich-size baggies. If we want mac & cheese, I halve the recipe and bake it in a loaf pan.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Yeah I used pork shoulder. The piece that I bought was a little over 3 pounds and cost like 6 bucks. It was plenty for two (adult) people.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

spite house posted:

Thrift shops can be great for equipment, and discount clothing stores like Ross and TJ Maxx (if you're in the US) are also excellent for picking up kitchen gizmos on the cheap. You sure don't want to buy pans or knives in those places, but they're awesome for cutting boards, wooden spoons, measuring cups, all kinds of baking poo poo like muffin tins and bundt pans, etc, for a fraction of what you'd spend at Williams-Sonoma or even Target. The Ross near my house keeps having these awesome Pyrex bowls with rubber lids for less than ten bucks a three-pack, and it's revolutionized my leftover storage. (Tupperware and its knockoffs suck so hard compared to glass.)

I would love to replace my tupperware with some awesome pyrex. However, every time I open the cabinet, all of the tupperware spills out in a avalanche. Doing that with glass wouldn't be so great. I hate my small kitchen.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

nm posted:

No kidding, even San Bernardino has a farmers market where no one has been shot for months! Produce at a farmers market seems to be about half the supermarket price for better quality and more variety.
(I will say that I would kill for a Ranch Market 99 around here (nearest one is 30mi away in Rancho), but you can cobble together a bunch of smaller markets and do the same. Hint: The "ghetto" won't kill you, and you can get good, cheap stuff there if you know what you're doing.

There is a 99 Ranch Market in Chino Hills, too. But I don't know what direction you're coming from. I live like a mile down the street from the one in Rancho. They've also started doing a little farmers' market at the Victoria Gardens on Friday mornings, I think.

Edit: Sprouts is an awesome store, too. My 4 year-old daughter discovered PINK sea salt and I thought she was going to piss her pants or something. Then she asked me how babies are made in the checkout line but that's another story all together.

Walk Away fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 13, 2012

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wow, so many Inland Empire spoongoons :cheers:

Only the best for this forum, baby.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

So what I've deduced from this thread is that we all live within 30 minutes of each other. The IE has a monopoly on GWS!

Oh yeah, and we have the cutest kids, too.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Bah... My gf is partly stubborn and partly insane. She doesn't want to make stew, chili, or anything that would be "too thick". This eliminates a lot of crock pot cooking. The unfortunate bit is that we're down to $15 to last us till the end of the week.

Anyone got any ideas?

Make your chili. Give her water and ask if it is "not thick" enough. She will get hungry and eat the chili anyway.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Rurutia posted:

Risotto (or is that too thick)? Or stir fried bok choy with mushrooms (add cornstarch and chicken stock while stir frying).

Anything non-soupy that uses chicken stock is either going to use very little of the stock or be thick...

Risotto is my favorite go-to for my homemade stock. Using it to make some kind of red sauce or bolognese for pasta is good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

:allears: lookit dis guy who thinks Government things are honest and unbiased. :3:

It would be cute if it wasn't so sad.