Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

My Little Puni posted:

I've been looking for a good cheap rice cooker or crock pot becaue that seems to be a good idea. I love pot roast so hopefully I'll find a good one.

I also forgot to mention although these are all great ideas, I can only use some of the because of my limitations.
By that I mean I live in an apartment with no appliances. We have an induction cook top, a mini oven (which just BARELY fit the whole chicken I roasted, and a mini fridge. So I'm trying my best to use this with what I have, but I really can't make too much food because of storage space (We convinced our landlord to buy us a drat fridge though, but who knows how long that will take). Frozens are the best because we do have a large freezer. That thing is kept pretty full, it's kind of a pain to have to thaw things all the time though.

A slow cooker will probably help a lot. Pot roasts, chicken thighs, all sorts of things can be cooked in one. And in large portions for left overs.

Other Ideas:

Oatmeal - Takes about 5-10min on the cooktop. Add some frozen berries (buy in bulk when on sale) and sugar or maple syrup for low effort meals.

Eggs - Fry, poach or scramble and place on bread, potatoes, legumes etc. Frittatas make for decent leftovers.

Meatloaf - If ground beef isn't usually on sale buy in bulk and freeze when it is on sale. It also doesn't require a lot of prep work. Maybe 10-15min to gather and mix the ingredients then let it bake for an hour in the over. I make about 2kg at a time and have meals for a week.

Peanut butter - I find it more convenient that eating raw peanuts, but those could work too.

Cheese - Can be added to many things or eaten as a snack. Like milk, should be fairly cheap per calorie.

A big thing that will help is to avoid eating 'snack' food. If you always have leftovers available or ingredients for a quick meal you will save a lot on fast/junk food. Legumes, cheese, nuts, eggs are all going to be cheaper (and better for you) than a bag of chips or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU