Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

dino. posted:

Mixed rice...

I'd like to hear more about these mixed rice recipes, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

dino. posted:

Here are two of them. Another two commonly loved ones are lemon rice, biriyani, and tamarind rice. :) They're all big-time favourites in the south. :P

Thanks for this. Manjula has been a favorite of mine for some time now.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Douche Bag posted:

Food tastes better when it's mixed with the blood of the poor.
___

This thread has been incredibly helpful. I gotta ask though, it it worthwhile to make things that are already cheap like tortillas or pasta? I don't mind cooking now but making some things just seem like a waste of time.

Those 50 count stacks of prepackaged corn tortillas are awful. A pound bag of Masabrosa (Maseca's cheaper cousin) is under $1.50. Totally worth it and way better.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Also, I know I'm late on the pork chop-chat but a good way to use them is smothering them cajun style.

1) Salt and pepper your (thick) pork chops then dust them with flour.
2) Fry them in HOT shallow oil in a cast iron skillet/dutch oven.
3) Set pork chops aside, lower the heat to medium-low, pour out excess oil (while leaving browned flour in the skillet/dutch oven).
4) Fry a ton of diced onions and some diced bell pepper (you can add celery and garlic if you wanna get fancy) in the oil left over.
5) Add pork chops back to the cooking vessel, cover with water.
6) halfway cover and let simmer till the pork chops are falling to pieces, the veg has mostly dissolved into the gravy, and the flour coating of the fried pork chops had dissolved into the liquid and created a gravy. If the pork chops are done but it hasn't reduced enough, take them out and cook on high till reduced.
7) Add finely chopped green onion tops and/or parsley 5-10 minutes before serving over hot white rice.
8) Serve with mustard greens and field peas/black eye peas.