Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TAC
Jun 24, 2010
Not sure how everyone here feels about canned foods, but I use Bumble Bee Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon as a major meat source to trim my budget. It's 14.75 oz per can, 80 calories (30 from fat), 12g protein per serving, 7 servings per can with a price range between $2.00-$2.50. It's a little high in sodium and cholesterol, so that's something to watch for.

I tend to go for sweet potatoes and taro over traditional potatoes. They're priced similarly where I am, but I figure they're a bit better rounded nutritionally.

I also use frozen vegetables over unfrozen. They're cheaper, often higher in quality and you don't have to worry about them going bad. Somewhat unrelated, but my mother's side of the family is mostly farmers. The "fresh" produce they ship out for export is typically harvested while it's still green and ripens on the journey. Frozen produce has a chance to ripen on the vine/stem/whatever before it's flash frozen and packaged. I'm not sure what the nutritional differences are, but I can differentiate between the two taste-wise.

Whole wheat bread, peanut butter, raw honey, whole milk.

I live a pretty active lifestyle and this has done me well. Also, plant some tomatoes when the weather is right. Experiment with different varieties, too. When it's warm, they will always be available for picking. Any extra can be cleaned and frozen for when the weather changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU