Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

What a cool thread. I've been eating to lose weight and to save money in the past couple of years, and so finding ways to inject flavor into my weekly prep has been fun and educational.

I don't know if it's poor technique - I'd be interested to hear if there's a good reason not to do this: A while ago, I made Kenji Lopez's broccoli cheese soup, which was delicious. It starts by sauteeing onions, carrots, broccoli and garlic, then simmering it for 30 minutes in chicken stock and milk, and then immersion blending it into a thick soup base before adding cheese. Lately, I've been taking left over vege scraps from the week, and re-creating that step with a cup of milk, and a few cups of water with bullion cubes. And just spice is however I feel like. I use things like garam masala, and cayenne a lot. I don't make the cheese soup, but just that base. By itself, it makes a delicious creamed vegetable soup. I prep lunches for the week - I can use this base in cooking to both add more flavor, and to add a sauce to the lunches. It's really added a huge amount of flavor to things like chicken and rice for relatively little effort and almost no extra money.

I've started cutting up whole chickens recently too. Making a good stock, and using the above technique, I've really been surprised by how much flavor you can squeeze out of things so easily available to you, and for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Weltlich posted:

I mean that seems like a pretty solid practice to me at a glance. It's more or less just making stock. Depending on the type of vegetable scraps you've got I might strain them back out rather than blending them in just for texture issues--I don't think my blender would ever get onion skin smooth enough for my liking. I'd also probably add the milk in later in the process to reduce any scorching risk, but if you've got it watered down to begin with that's a pretty low risk.

Thank you for the advice! I've been getting a pretty smooth product, so I'll probably keep at it, or something similar. The veges I use are basically carrots, onion, garlic, and celery or broccoli stems. I've heard the broccoli is a bad choice for stock, but my palate may not be refined enough to be bothered by it? It tastes good to me, and is a good way to limit waste.