Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

BastardAus posted:

I am one of 'those people' and I probably will be one until I die. Properly treated cattle deserve proper prices at market. They taste as good as they cost.

There's a difference between a T-Bone from a local butcher who can tell you exactly where they sourced their beef and a shrinked-wrapped T-Bone from the giant supermarket down the street who is overcharging you.

The former is worth paying extra for and you will get amazing, quality meat. The latter is fairly meaningless and supports lovely beef. The latter also does not, "taste as good as they cost" and someone trying to save money on groceries should focus on how to make on-sale and low-cost meat taste good.

tl;dr: Don't buy expensive meat at supermarkets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So yes, there is an ethnic butcher loophole, if you're willing to take the time and investigate things further.

Investigate things further may mean "find out what kind of meat that ethnicity really cares about."

I am saying this because Chinese stores don't give a crap where their beef and pork come from (re: buying wholesale from lovely meat-packers), but we really give a drat about good chicken (oh and fish. Fresh fish from tanks, YEAAAH). "Yellow-hair chicken" or "walking chicken" are basically free-range birds who have really lean, delicious meat. And yeah they cost more but you can literally talk to the guy who raised them who will happily butcher and defeather one for you on-the-spot.

So ethnic grocery stores are cool, but not a guarantee of finding that loophole. Shopping farm stands though, go do it. localharvest.org is an amazing resource, use it.

But this is a derail because cheap food =/= better food. Just that, if you can afford so, buying local tastes better, feels better and is better for you.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Randomity posted:

If you have freezer space, stock up on hams after ham holidays, like Easter.

Thirding (forthing?) the ham suggestion.

Last Christmas, we got two hams. Ham soup (make like chicken stock: ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, some spices... boil the poo poo out of it for many hours. Tastes really good and great for the winter, add noodles too) was awesome. But also, a small piece of ham (around 4 ounces) + day old rice + frozen mix veggies + soy sauce + egg = really loving good fried rice.

So from those two hams (like 99 cent a pound around Christmas), we ate great for a really long time.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

silvergoose posted:

EAC meant to say simmer I think.

I did, thanks.

Let boil, then simmer.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Colt Cannon posted:

Also, I just thought of this, if you eat a lot of sandwiches, try to mix your various condiments.

Like right now I am eating a sandwich, and the sauce I have on it is honey mustard sriracha. It is amazing, and so easy to make.

http://youtu.be/7yEP8LCka3M After I do that I will take a little bit off of that batch, then add honey and sriracha to taste.

Also the awesome thing about making your own mustard, is the fact that you can truly make it however you want, and make boring sandwiches into awesomeness. I normally have about ten to twelve little mason jars of mustard, each with different spices, herbs, beers, or whatever in them. The difference in using a mustard based with beer, and then using one based on jalapenos is pretty extreme.

I don't even like mustard and that sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

The Lord Bude posted:

In any event, try the dish with pork shoulder, it's delicious. I'm about to go to bed, but I will contribute my vindaloo recipe tomorrow if people are interested.

Definitely interested. Sounds delicious.