Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I believe in wasting my money on alcohol, so dirt cheap food is right up my alley. I know some of these things have been covered, but I am not looking for health input (I don't eat vegetables, yes I am a jerk, I feel the same about others).

Everyone has gone the fancy route, lets do some low brow cooking[eating].

Ramen. Mentioned already, burnt out, college food, heart-exploding sodium, cheap. It is not that bad. By itself I am content with it. Feel like getting fancy? Add an egg or two. I may be extra creepy, but I'll take a pack of ramen, crush it to small pieces before cooking (with minimal water) then eat it using whatever chip I have as a spoon.

Butter + Noodles. This is a go to meal. Add some garlic salt and parmesan, and you are living the high life. Switch it up with different kinds of pasta. My area is around .79 cents/pound. Dollar stores around here sell garlic salt for dirt cheap.

Chicken. Call me fancy, but I will still get boneless skinless chicken breasts. I'll hunt for the frozen ones on sale, but bones are more work. Enjoy life.

Eggs. Dirt cheap. Delish. Enough said. Cook them however you want, add in whatever you want. I could just have eggs with a shake of salt and be content. Sometimes I add a splash of hotsauce, extra fancy (this poo poo costs under a dollar a bottle).

I don't need to bring back up everything other people have said, coupons, sales, bulk, etc. I follow a mild blend of all of that. If you have the taste and attitude/time for fancier/fresh stuff then more power to you. If you are looking to eat for cheap, I can ramble all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kilersquirrel posted:

I know single-emote response = banhammer,but rarely do you get a situation this perfect for a :munch: reply. I'm just going to assume you're eating vitamin pills regularly.

Tangent to this, if your appetite for beer/wine is as big as it is for real food, doing the homebrew thing will save you bucketloads of money and produce far superior (and generally stronger) beer than you get from the big 3. Grab one of those plastic brewing buckets to make starting up cheaper. Fringe benefits of this include all your friends wanting your beer and being easily influenced to feed you in exchange for cold ones.

I realize that might be going a little into the extreme, but if you've normally got a bar bill that's a significant chunk of your weekly income it might be worth a look at. It really is dirt simple and quite cheap, $30-40ish and a month of waiting for roughly 5 gallons of quality beer. However if you're not much of a drinker then I guess you can ignore all this.

Wasn't shooting for a ban on that post, was just rambling on my cheap eating habits. As for homebrew, I think it is awesome, but I mostly consume whiskey (nothing fancy either :(, building a still may be somewhere down the road for myself). Also good call on the vitamins, that's probably something worth an investment for myself.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I believe that most people in the GWS forum would be disgusted by what I cook and eat (nothing repulsive, but very minimal compared to how some of the threads that I follow). I have been following this thread since the beginning, and am going to start making more elaborate cheap meals (maybe even some pictures too), but have already expanded from the buttered noodles that I could pretty much eat everyday.

Something new I tried this week. Eggs and Rice.

Sounds strange. I made a bunch of white rice (actually cooked it in chicken stock instead of water since I had chicken stock) that I had left over (used first part of it in a stir fry type meal that wasn't the best). So for dinner/brinner one day after work, I tossed some butter into a skillet along with a good portion of rice. Added pepper and garlic salt and heated until rice was edible again. Then whisked two eggs and dumped them in. Cooked until done and dumped into a bowl.

Wasn't have bad. Tried it a few other times and spiced it up with a dash of hot sauce while eating.

Rice is cheap. Eggs are cheap. Food was good (atleast for me). If everyone doesn't hate this too much, I'll try and add more cheap things I make. I'm not too fond of veggies, so my meals are pretty bland by others standards, but I love breakfast foods, so that doesn't involve too much greens.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

PlasticPaddy posted:

I cook some ramen noodles, put in some cheese, diced hot dogs or spam and crushed potato chips. Dirt cheap and oh so delicious :)

Ramen + Cheese. Use tortilla chips to scoop up the ramen.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't do this it's not good food.

It is defiantly not for everyone, but it is cheap and enjoyable (at least for me), so I don't mind it every once in a while if I don't prepare a lunch for work. And there is no arguing that it is healthy for you in any way either.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Azn Sensation posted:

So I bought a fuckton of pinto beans at Costco and planning on buying some rice (anyone have good all purpose tasty rice?) But I am at a loss for what to do with said beans. I have access to chicken stock and garlic, and I can go to the store for veggies or a protein and I have a slow cooker. I also have a food saver so I would prefer something awesome that freezes well so I don't eat beans for a week. Help?

Seconding this. I figure you should be able to make pinto beans and rice into some kind of never ending cheap meal.

Google gives me something along these lines, I would probably sub out some of the stuff.

quote:

Ingredients:

1 pound dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
6 cups water
1 ham hock or leftover ham bone
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 pound andouille smoked sausage or similar smoked sausage, sliced
1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced
1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chile peppers, or mixture of mild and jalapeno
boiled white rice

Preparation:
Combine soaked and drained beans with water, ham hock, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over high heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hock and shred ham from bone with a fork. Return ham to bean mixture.
Serve over hot cooked rice.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

toanoradian posted:

I do have something a bit more specific, though. I like broccoli but I don't know what to do with them besides soups or stir fry them alongside carrots with salt and oyster sauce. Any ideas?

This may fall into stir-fry, but Broccoli Beef is this only way I have enjoyed broccoli.

quote:

Ingredients

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 pound boneless round steak, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chopped fresh broccoli

Directions

In a small bowl, combine flour, broth, sugar, and soy sauce. Stir until sugar and flour are dissolved.
In a large skillet or wok over high heat, cook and stir beef 2 to 4 minutes, or until browned. Stir in broth mixture, ginger, garlic, and broccoli. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

razz posted:

Aldi

Same parent company as Trader Joe's.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Has anyone used pork chops (boneless center cut) to make pulled pork?

There is a grocery store near me that always has really good deals on fresh meat. Last week I got some great pork chops for $2.29/pound. Ended up making some Garlic Parm Crusted Pork Chops. Turned out great. Now I am thinking BBQ Pulled Pork.

Google tells me to get it as tender as I want, I should throw them in a crock pot all day. Has anyone tried this? Will the come out as tender as a pork shoulder?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Does anyone make onion or garlic powder themselves? Google makes it seem very simple. Would this be worth it or just a waste of time?

Onions are like 70cents/pound. Garlic is normally $1 for 5 heads.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think its more like "whats the point" since onion and garlic powder taste way worse than onion and garlic.

My thoughts was I could have a good supply of garlic and onion powder (you guys are going to call me an idiot, but I like onion taste, just not onions). It's going to be literally only garlic and onion (people like stuff without additives now right? Even though I really don't care).

My big thing is I am not too fond of onions, so I figure if I make my own onion powder, I could use it when cooking. And for garlic, I love it, but never go through it quick enough so I always end up throwing it out when it goes bad.

Charmmi posted:

These seem like good prices. We get our onions $1 per pound and garlics $1 for three heads. They don't go bad quickly or anything. I would say it's a waste of effort and time unless you already use a dehydrator or something a ton to begin with.

Don't own a dehydrator, but was planning on throwing thin slices of them in the oven at like 150 and just keep flipping them until they were dried out. That is one method google told me about.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Everyone posted:

Moey is an idiot

Welp, I asked. Maybe I should try to like onions (the texture is what I don't like).

Another reason that this came to mind is because I feel like the more I buy "fresh" food to make meals, the more I will waste because it goes bad before I get to use it. I do not cook large meals that often.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Walk Away posted:

I do something like this. I write down my menu for the week, make the list off of that, and go from there. You put meals with more perishable items earlier in the week. Having the list at the store also helps to keep me on track and only get what I need. It's also kinda fun to look around on the weekend for new ideas and build the week's menu around it. But maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

Since I only cook for my kid and myself, I've become better at only making what we will eat in one meal (we are terrible about eating leftovers). I make huge batches of bolognese and chicken stock and freeze in sandwich-size baggies. If we want mac & cheese, I halve the recipe and bake it in a loaf pan.

I may have to do this. I do not normally buy a lot at the grocery store, but will find myself just not using things. Maybe planning out a weekly menu would work. I normally only cook for myself, gf once or twice a week, then the random bbq with friends.

I saw the picture of your pulled pork in another thread. What cut of pork did you use? Porkchops seem to be dirt cheap, so I am thinking if I invest in a crock pot, pork goes in before work, dinner ready when I get home?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Now to find a crock pot! Thanks guys.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Thanks everyone. I'll be on the look out for a crock pot.

Also think I will try some no knead bread this weekend, have not made bread in a while.

Anyone have a basic recipe for black beans and rice?

Attempted to make them the other day and they came out terrible. What I did (no one do this):

- Soak 1/2 cup black beans in water over night
- Next evening sauteed 1/2 cup white rice with a little olive oil and fresh minced garlic
- Drain beans and add rice into there plus cup of water
- Bring to boil, then cover and lower to simmer for 15 minutes until rice is done
- Be very disappointed

Some things I learned:
- Before soaking beans, sort them and pick out ones that apparently are lovely
- Do the same after soaking, also rinse the beans
- Cook beans for a lot longer

I am open for advise.

Also Wiggles, love you avatar/title

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Pollyanna posted:

Always wanted to make chicken parmesan, but it looks like a pain in the rear end to make. I'll have to get a Pyrex dish 'n mozzarella, too... I generally prefer thigh and leg myself, too, but I'm looking to use up what I've already got. I'll see if there's a cream sauce I can make...

My wife isn't big into cooking but makes it. It is pretty straight forward.

Butterfly chicken and pound thin, egg wash/breadcrumbs then pan fry. Red sauce in the bottom of a pyrex, in goes chicken, red sauce and cheese on top. Into the oven.

We then serve it over some pasta alfredo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I cut back on carbs when dropping weight as well.

For brussel sprouts, I split them then boil for 5 mins. Dice and cook bacon in the cast iron, add the brussel sprouts and some minced garlic until crispy then toss with some parmesan. The wife is hooked on that recipe.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Doc Walrus posted:

I just like flour tortillas more :shrug: I'll try corn for the more sauce-heavy stuff though.

Same here. Even slathered in sauce I think corn tortillas have a dry texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wormil posted:

Like you say, the problem with apps is they become a job keeping inventory updated. I haven't found anything that beats an old fashioned grocery list. A piece of paper on the counter .. when you run low on something, write it down. If you need something for a future meal, write it down. Take the list with you to the grocery, if there is something you don't buy, it carries to the new list.

I'm just using Google Keep for my list. It's shared between my wife and I so we can grab crap without seeing what is needed.