Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

My Little Puni posted:

I'm not very much of a cook, but I love making food! But I get saddened when I see a new recipe I want try and find out the ingredients for one dish would come close to breaking my food budget.

I'm on a very small food budget, about $50 a week and am sick of making the same thing every day because it's cheap.

One site that has helped me out is Supercook -- I don't work for them or get kickbacks in any way, and please let me know if this counts as advertising so I can take down this post. There are probably other sites that do the same thing.

Basically, you set up an account (free) so you can type in what ingredients you have in your cupboard. It then presents you with recipes that you can make with your current ingredients, and suggests other ingredients to buy to make an even larger number of things. The point of logging in is that it saves your list, so you can modify it when you run out of something or do a big grocery run.

The up-front time investment was a little annoying, but it's saved me money. Whereas before I would go "what sounds good for dinner?" and run out and buy the ingredients, now I can surf the recommended list first and see if any of the suggested recipes ring my bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Something I only just tried as a super novice cook so it might be new to someone: try putting alfredo sauce in your chicken and rice instead of pasta! You can use a little less, since the rice does such a good job of absorbing it, and rice is always cheaper than pasta!

Question, though: can I just leave the organs in the chicken and let them cook that way, or is it better to cook them separately?

I cook the organs separately -- kidneys can be soaked in milk, for example, before frying. Hearts benefit from a grilling, and I'm reading that gizzards do also. (I've never tried working the gizzards into things, since the supermarket ones don't usually have them and I've been too distracted to fast my own chickens properly enough to make them easy to harvest.) The organs just seem so well-suited to different uses than the meat, and different cooking styles, that I feel like I get more out of a bird to prepare them separately.

Although to be perfectly honest the cats usually get the shredded and pan-fried kidneys and liver instead of me. They're spoiled.

Taft Punk fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 26, 2013