Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
This thread is so helpful! After gouging the hell out of my wallet and blowing my diet to hell last semester (eating in the cafeteria or grabbing bagels for two meals a day, eating pizza or take out sandwiches for dinner), I'm committed to getting back on track cooking.

One of the best things I've found so far is to buy bulk packages of meat, portion, and freeze it. For example this week I bought 5lbs of chicken thighs - got them home, pulled the skin off (1lb of skin) and discarded it, then weighed them out. I kept half the package out for this week and froze the other half in two roughly equal containers to eat next week. Total cost of $5.00.

Out of that I made baked chicken thighs on Monday night, cooking ALL of the meat I didn't freeze. We ate three of the thighs between two people (sides are your friend, we all eat too much meat anyway) and set aside two for the next day. Then I made chicken chili from the left over chicken, dried white beans, a can of diced tomatoes and a can of green chilies. Cost breakdown for the chili was about $6.00 total. We ate it for three days (lunch or dinner everyday, not both) and I froze about a quart of it for next week/the week after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011

spite house posted:

Oooh! Oooh! Don't do this! Render the fat out and save it! Potatoes fried in chicken fat are to die for and the cracklings are awesome too.

I knew someone would say that! I'm just too well indoctrinated from being raised in the fatfree! 80's. At least I use real butter?