Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

indoflaven posted:

Salad is super cheap and it wouldn't hurt anyone to eat a salad every day. I like to throw in a hard boiled egg and maybe some chopped ham. Marzetti dressing is the poo poo.

Depends. Here, any lettuce that's not iceberg crap is about 2$ a head. Or, you could spend 1$ to get the same in spinach or broccoli and make weird salads topped with cooked and chilled lentils, grated carrots (super cheap) and pickled onion slices.

Cold, blanched broccoli with toppings is the best type of salad mmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

GabrielAisling posted:

We're in our early twenties, and more or less live together. I'm on horrible roommate via student housing roulette number 5, and spend most of my time at his place. He will go hungry before he'll eat something he doesn't want to. He was spoiled as a kid, unfortunately. And he'd rather eat the cold happy meal than vegetables.

There really is no excuse for him for not, at the very least, trying new foods. Unless his father beat him to an inch of his life regularly with bags of carrots and peas then he's a big babby who needs to man the gently caress up. My husband has never refused outright to try something I've made - which to be honest, has even made him sick more than once when I was first starting to learn.

Anyway. One thing I love to do to save time in the kitchen is I bought a tiny food processor ($10) and fill it with garlic cloves, spices, ginger, whatever and store it in the fridge. It makes using garlic and ginger a lot easier since you can buy a kilo of it for about 5$ here and peel it all yourself while a tiny jar of flavourless garlic mince is 2-3$. It also makes everything taste sooooooo muuuuuuch better. You can just use a neutral oil (I personally use peanut) to keep it from going bad within the week. If you're crazy and do buy a kilo of garlic you can always roast it in the oven so you have super cheap, soft and oily garlic to spread on toast.

Really, you can't go wrong with the 20-30 minutes of work once every 2 weeks for fresh garlic and ginger for pennies on the dollar.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

noblesse posted:

This is excellent advice. I'm one of those "dried/minced/powdered/sad jar" garlic users. I don't know any better, ok? :( Can you use a spice grinder or coffee grinder for this job as well? I have a Blendtec, but uhhh, I'm not sure I could use it unless I was planning on filling a five gallon bucket of the stuff.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-Electric-Grinder-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331988498&sr=8-1

Naw, something like this http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-HC306-One-Touch-Electric/dp/B000I0DV6W/ref=sr_1_23?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1332135522&sr=1-23 works just fine for doing ginger or garlic. The one I have is a 10$ store brand one like this and it's lasted me over 2-3 years now. It's not amazing, but if you need to food process up a tomato or two, green chilies or any sort of small portion of veggie it's pretty adequate. I don't grind up my own spices so I wouldn't know what kind of grinder to get for that, though I've heard a plain ol' coffee one works well.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mizufusion posted:

I think I'm going to start buying produce when it's really cheap and experiment with freezing it. Just as soon as I do something with all the frozen berries inhabiting the freezer. My roommate bought them to make jam around Christmastime and never used any of them. :sigh: Maybe I should make smoothies tomorrow.

Throw them in a pot with some sugar and you get some homemade syrup you can use as a topping on pretty much anything. I don't feel like making actual jam except one day of the year, remember I don't actually have any canning supplies and make that again instead. Goes really well on waffles, icecream, toast, desserts, whatever.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

vonnegutt posted:

...I remember this. Yeah, it gets old after a while. Especially when I'm doing something where I want a lot of garlic, ie, everything. Mincing one or two is fine, mincing five gets old.

Mincing it every single day after the novelty of learning how to cook gets pretty frustrating too, especially if you start heating the pan or cooking the other ingredients only to realize that you forgot to chop the garlic. Makes cooking a little less spontaneous as well.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

taqueso posted:

Chopping garlic is the easy part, peeling is what seems to take all the time.

For me, it's the chopping it before every single meal sort of thing. It gets tedious if you're stressed out from work or busy with school and every single meal you have to finely chop a few cloves. I can definitely see why people buy the crappy jarred minces when they first start cooking, or don't cook often.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mizufusion posted:

I don't make a whole lot of desserty type dishes, but this sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll make crepes tonight if I can stand that long. My back is not happy with me right now. :(

If you keep the heat low you shouldn't burn the fruit or sugar after the first few minutes so you can sit down and relax a little more. Sometimes I just stir it for about 2-5 minutes until everything is getting mushy and turn off the burner - it's usually hot enough to cook the fruit all the way through without burning everything. You could chop the fruit into small pieces before throwing it on the stove to reduce the cooking time. Hope you feel better soon.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If I peel a whole head of garlic like that, will the cloves keep just as well as if I hadn't peeled them? Right now I just peel each individually but if that skin isn't keeping them fresh or whatever then I might as well do the bowl thing.

Only one way to find out :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Here's a tip I just thought I would share since I wasted a lot of money yesterday at the hobby shop.

If you eat out at the cheap, hole in the wall places that only do take out you can usually get some really nice containers. The indian place I go to once a week does a lot of really cheap, delicious food (8$ for meat curry with rice, 2$ for onion bahji and 5$ for spiced vegetable dish, perfect for 2 people) and they always put most of the food in the round, plastic containers. Other than being a little stained from the curry and spices they are perfect for packing lunch in, freezing stuff, or just for leftovers in general. That way I don't have to buy tupperware and risk having it crack in the freezer or waste $5 a container.

It's just a nice extra if you're going to be spending a little money on take out I guess!