Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

^^ Fresh herbs are cheap and awesome. They're also much stronger than dried ones. Just keep them watered and you'll never run out.

My Little Puni posted:

Wow that was extremely helpful and yet insulting at the same time. I will assume that you were being facetious and was only commentary on our social order, not a direct insult. So thank you, maybe this will help me become not lazy and I can stop feeding on the dirt caked on the bottom of my shoes when I get home from doing poor people stuff (mostly doing drugs and walking around wal-mart) and will slowly become a useful member of society. Maybe one day I can even start paying people off in order to make myself look better to other people paying people off. I can dream right?

But seriously, really helpful post.

Please don't eat any of the "recipes" he suggested. Cream of X "soups" are disgusting, expensive, and terrible for you. Make a quesadilla in a pan, not the microwave. It only takes 2 minutes more, and comes out soft and crispy instead of soggy.

Lasagna freezes very well. "Stew meat" makes excellent chili. Hot sauce makes everything better. Look up the no-knead bread recipe, and make your own loaves, rolls, pizza crusts, etc with only about 5 minutes of actual effort on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I'll concede that it's not "good" in the sense that it's not exactly the healthiest option for you, but cheap is definitely a word I'd use with those recipes. All of those recipes fed two people for 2-3 days apiece, at a cost of roughly $2-$3.50 per person per day. That's cheap as hell for food in this area.

Sure, I could've made my own sauces and not used canned stuff, but I've done the math, and that only works in my favor if I make huge batches and eat the same thing for a week straight.

Also, chilimac is chili with macaroni, and it's loving delicious. :colbert:
That's a good suggestion, and if I had the money, I'd make that investment.

Just for the curious, you can brown meat in the slowcooker as well. As I said earlier, add your ground beef to the slow cooker on high. If there's room, take a fork and spread the meat around the bottom as thin as you can. That'll help it brown better. It won't get nice and "hamburger patty" brown, but it'll definitely cook to edible standards in about 30-45 minutes.

Also, I know that using the slow cooker this way isn't going to produce stellar foods. However, it's the largest cooking implement we have, and I can't afford to buy anything else.

That is not "browning". That is, like, "greying". You cannot brown meat in a slow cooker, it doesn't get hot enough. Stop with your chilimac abominations and make brisket, or carnitas, or oxtail, or rice and beans, or or or. There are a huge number of things that BENEFIT from long cooking at low heat. Make some of them.