Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Manchair
May 27, 2003
In my plan... we are beltless!
I live in Leeds, UK so some of this may be quite locally-based, but over the past two years I've managed to cut my food bill down from upwards of £50 a week to roughly £20 (and that includes household bits such as washing up liquid, loo roll etc.)

That feeds myself for a full week and my boyfriend for 3 days of the week, and we eat very well.

• Know your Supermarkets - I try and use the Supermarkets as little as possible, but it helps if you know all their closing times (to aid bargain yellow-sticker hunting) and know which ones are best for which food types. For example in Leeds, Morrisons has the best fresh counters, and I have learnt that the Hunslet branch of Morrisons always has excellent yellow-sticker fresh produce, mainly due to the customer base in that area.
  • Visit Aldi - If you have an Aldi in your town, it is your friend. Every week they have 6 Fruit/Veg items at either 39p or 69p, which rivals market prices and is a really good way of getting variety into a budget-diet. They also do very good Cheeses.
  • Use the Market - if you're lucky enough to live near a Market, use it! This is especially important for Meat/Fish/Greengrocer items. Last week I bought 5 massive Spare Ribs and a huge bag of Steak Mince for £2.30 in total, it made meals for 4 nights for two of us. In Leeds there is 'Butchers Row' in the Market and it pays to shop around.
  • Use Poundland - or any other £1 shop for household essentials such as Kitchen Roll and Washing up Liquid. Its vastly vastly cheaper than buying these items at the Supermarket. Also have a peek in Poundland or Home Bargains at the food sections, they often have unusual or end-of-line products for ridiculously cheap prices.
  • Use Loyalty Cards - my purse is bursting with cards for all the Supermarkets, but if you keep an eye on the mail they send to your house and the vouchers that print off with the receipts it really is free money. If you have a car and you buy petrol from the supermarkets even better, its roughly £60 to fill my tank now, even with no special offers that's 60p of free food which could keep me in Rice for months!

That pretty much covers my approach to buying food - then its down to learning some culinary basics (as all the previous posters have mentioned, baking your own bread etc etc.) If you have an Ingredient you don't know what to do with, use a website such as the BBC Food one (https://www.bbc.co.uk/food) to search for something to make. This also works if you're bored out of your mind making the same stuff every week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU