Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

slinkimalinki posted:

Yeah apparently there are people who buy meat that is not on special and is not a cheap cut of meat. I am not those people.
I am one of 'those people' and I probably will be one until I die. Properly treated cattle deserve proper prices at market. They taste as good as they cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

squigadoo posted:

potato pancakes. POTATO PANCAKES.
Holy loving ROSTI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CFykOrI80

Note: most people throw the top side in to crisp up too. Crazy Swiss.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Fat is not awful but gravy made without it is.

Not swimming in fat though I think is the point.
Enough to get a ping-pongball sized nugget of flour stuck together so you can then work it down. Gradually with water/boiled-vegetable-water. Don't forget the salt. I watched my dad do every Sunday of my life until I left home. He's a Pommie-bastard stickler too, these techniques are not shortcuts.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's not country gravy.

Not your country indeed. Makes no difference to the flavour though, it's a binding ingredient in the English recipe. You can stop adding liquid when it reaches the required consistency. The pan scrapings provide the flavour.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 11, 2012

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
It don't matter to Jesus. You got a date Wednesday, baby!

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 11, 2012

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

dino. posted:

For falafel, you soak the chickpeas, and then whiz them in the processor. They get cooked in the hot fat. Doing it that way avoids having to add bread to bind it, as the chickpeas bind to themselves when you soak and blend them. I generally go for a generous bit of coriander seed (crushed), a truckload of parsley, some green chiles, salt, and a pinch of baking soda. I find that keeping it simple generally nets great results.

The cooking in hot fat method is one I don't come across very often but god drat it is good.
One of the busiest places after hours in Sydney (kicking-out time in the middle of the city between 3 pubs & X no. of clubs) drop them in the deep fryer, then drains and smacks them down and flattens them out on a hot flattop grill. They get a delicious crust on them and the middle is till smooth and green with the herbs. Olympic Yeeros FTW.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Malthuras posted:

A few other great cheap meal ideas,

At least where i'm at, sometimes I can get 4-6 turkey legs for around 6 bucks. 4-6 GIGANTIC turkey legs.

A simple and easy way to prepare them is put a bit of garlic powder or seasoning of your choice, and cover them in a thin coating of teriyaki for that little mmmm taste, stick them in the oven on 350 for a few hours, bam...about 3 meals for 6 bucks
This. Turkey is so cheap and plentiful, I like the mince for a kheema.
Chicken legs which go for amazingly cheap where I live. Even the organic ones are ≤50c each. I rub them with pureed garlic out of a jar, season and put on a rack over a roasting dish with some water in the bottom for 20-30 minutes. Lunch on $1.50 a day with whatever leftover salad or rice I have.
Or feed a battalion of party guests for gently caress all if they're the cut down 'lovely legs' variety.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Our 'totally organic, no GM foodstuffs' household is having itself on if it thinks it can eat well AND save up for a house.
Until I met this thread. Thanks to you guys I made American Chop Suey last night and it disappeared.
With an all organic pantry and one pack of free range organic chicken mince from the overpriced deli (bought Quick Sale! Due to go bad [but not really] chicken mince!) I made dinner for essentially 7 in a house of 3. 1 teenager scarfed half of it in one go and the other 2 had dinner and lunch the next day for an overall cost of $2 per person per meal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Beep Street posted:

I once got a whole chicken in Tesco for 20p! Sometimes they do crazy reductions. The day my freezer died a few months ago was a very sad day for me, it was full of uneaten bargains. But now I have a bigger freezer to house more meat so it's not all bad.

I used to turn my nose up at reduced sticker food but now I feel ripped off paying full price for meat. I also get plenty of reduced veg as well, I got a massive bag of carrots for 32p in Co-op yesterday and they should keep for a few weeks.

At the moment a lot of supermarkets have cheap hams on offer, I'll be eating pea and ham soup for lunch for work for all of january.

If you only stopped to think what it took to make 1.2-1.8kg of bird WORTH only 20p, perhaps you'd have to then wonder what went into or more like what was LEFT OUT of that bird to make it so cheap.