Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have lived at points in time as a student where my entire *monthly* budget, before rent, was 300 euro. and rent was like 125, and alcohol was like 75 (priorities), so that was about 25 euro a week to live off of for food, or about 30-35 bucks. and hell, I even won an ICSA on that budget.

most of the good suggestions have been given already in this thread. Don't buy your food/spices/whatever at mega-marts. find ethnic stores where spices are .25 cents - $1.25, for twice the amount you'd pay 3 bucks for in kroger or publix or whatever. one of the first posters in the thread mentioned onions for $2 / 3lbs. if you go to places where actual people shop who aren't that well off, you can get a 10lb bag of onions for $4. and entire chickens for $3-4 - though I'd really advise just putting more money into your food budget and not supporting horrible farming practices. but, hey, everyone's poor at some point.

a chicken can make dinner for one for 4 nights in a row. I did this last week, and I'm not even close to poor as poo poo these days.

night one, I pan seared one breast, made a chicken caesar salad. night two, I roasted both legs, ate one with some mashed potatoes, ate the other for lunch the third day. third day I roasted and pulled the other breast in to BBQ sandwiches. fourth day, I boiled the wings and carcass into a rich stock, pulled the meat out, made some quick dumplings, and had chicken dumpling soup with some veggies I had lying around.

I mean granted I was able to do all that because I had all the other pre-requisites lyin' around, but you'll get there - you have to build up a fully stocked kitchen before you can really cook on the cheap. once you get there though, there will be hardly any recipe you need to buy anything for except fresh produce and meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU