Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

re: spices

Something I figured out a little too late in life is that bulk spices are much cheaper than the stuff in jars. The local food coop has a pretty good selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

wormil posted:

Spices shouldn't be taking up a significant portion of your monthly food budget.

But they sure can hurt bad when you are first starting out and have none.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I like to start by cooking down some mushrooms and onions in a little butter. Either get a 2nd pan or wait until that is done. Salt the chop, sear on both sides. Pour cream and mushrooms over the chop and simmer until pork is done & cream is reduced. (Flip the pork and stir a couple times while simmering.) The last time I made this, I think I added some garlic, thyme and pepper to the cream as it simmered.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

coconut milk, fish sauce

These two seem to be at every grocery store, even out here in South Dakota.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

"Good" fish sauce is not super available - you want Red Boat brand. Coconut milk is totally available everywhere.

What is so much better about that fish sauce? Is it worth seeking out even if I would have to mail order it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Get a sodastream. One canister lasts my bf and I a year, and we drink a litre of (sugar free) soda everyday.

Have you tried mixing up your own flavors from extracts or something like that? Do you use sodastream brand syrups only?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That makes the system sound even better, thanks for the info.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chopping garlic is the easy part, peeling is what seems to take all the time.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

There's a great technique for peeling garlic in a flash:

1. Cut off the very tip of the clove so the paper has been loosened
2. Lay your knife flat on top of the clove and with your palm give a firm swat to the blade (Not too hard, not crushing garlic here)
3. Garlic clove is largely intact, paper/peel has been loosened around whole clove, remove.

Takes about 20 seconds if you are slow.

Ya, I do that, but it is still a bunch of fiddly work to get the paper off. I learned a different trick a few months ago that is awesome for when you need a bunch of garlic:

1. Find a pair of bowls that are the same size or a big tupperware container
2. Put head of galic inside and invert 2nd bowl to use as a lid (or put on the tupperware lid)
3. Shake like crazy for 30 seconds
4. Open to find all garlic peeled

Seems to work best when there is some room in the container to let the garlic get some momentum.

e: I found a video: http://www.saveur.com/article/Video/video-How-to-Peel-a-Head-of-Garlic-in-Less-Than-10-Seconds I don't even smash the head of garlic like the guy in the video, I just toss it in.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 19, 2012

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Hey sweet you found the video I posted on the last page good job.

Guess I missed that somehow :blush:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Grab yourself a cheap-rear end meat thermometer. Ideally, it should have a little clip for holdijg it on the side of the pan, and little temperature ranges on it for the various meats as well as deep frying. You can use an analogue one, and it should cost like $6. I fried mine in a cast iron pan, and had no issues because as soon as the oil got halfway through the "deep fry" temperature range, I turned the heat down. Other than that, use canola, vegetable, peanut, or safflower oil for frying like this, since the smoke point is pretty high with all of those. I used canola and the oil never smoked at all.

Thermometer is definitely the way to go. Good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My local food co-op will do special orders for members, free with no shipping charge. My friend that told me about it buys specialty flour through them, and I'm sure they could get many kinds of beans as well. Might be a good option if you can find a similar deal. I also found out I can buy locally grown black beans there - I was really surprised by that because it is not a crop I've heard of people growing here.