Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slinkimalinki posted:

Yeah apparently there are people who buy meat that is not on special and is not a cheap cut of meat. I am not those people.

Neither am I. You can tell you've been poor too long when your idea of splurging on a steak is picking up a piece of chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Okay, since it's payday and thus 'going to the store' day, I'll break down what I'm doing this week. Total at the store today was $28, and what I picked up was this :

All in all, that is :

2.5 lbs of 'Reduced for Quick Sale' hamburger
2 lbs carrots
1 lb celery
1 green bell pepper
3 lbs yellow onions
1 spaghetti squash
1 acorn squash
10 lbs russet potatoes
1 whole chicken
1 lb elbow macaroni
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
Leaf sage and hot chili powder, because I was out of both
1 loaf cheap white bread, because I get a craving for PB&J sometimes

What this is, however, is a week's food for me, with some left over to freeze if I don't get to it quick enough. If you paid for the beans, rice, garlic, cheese, and egg noodles I'm going to be using that I already have in hand, I suppose the total rounds up to a nice even $35.

Meals :

Chili. Half the ground beef, half the diced tomatoes, onion, green pepper, spices, and a shitload of beans. Chili is slow-cooker awesome, and stretches for days as you get bored and start making chili tacos, chili mac, chili dogs, and finally in desperation chili omelettes to try and get rid of it.

Goulash. I'm hungry for it just now. Other half of the ground beef, bit of onion, green pepper, half the diced tomatoes, and Italian spices. Eat it out of the saucepan, or if you're feeling swanky, pour it into a baking dish, top with cheese, and bake to brown.

Roasted Chicken. We've got all of the necessary veggies to make a roast chicken marvelous, and oven roasting some of those potatoes and a squash will make one heck of a meal.

Chicken Soup. Chicken carcass and leftover veggie bits lying around? This gets to be a stock. Add back in some of the leftover chicken, some rice, and a little chopped carrot and celery, and it's a decent meal.

Chicken and noodles. Old favorite. Leftover roasted chicken plus a quick gravy made from some of the stock and some egg noodles, all over mashed potatoes. It's getting cold here, can you tell from my food choices?

So, there's five solid dinners from what's in hand. The chili, goulash, soup, and chicken & noodles will stretch to more than a couple meals each -very- easily, making lunches a snap, or giving you something to freeze so you can re-heat it later when you're tired of whatever you're eating that week. I'll probably make a daily loaf or two of no-knead bread to gnaw along, and add some canned beets, spinach, and the like for a bit of variety.

Breakfast isn't something I pay for, what with being the overnight baker who does all our breakfast concession, but on the days I cook it at home, it's either oats or eggs, depending on what I was drinking last night.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what exactly we were all talking about earlier in the thread!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

11b1p posted:

Shred up the meat from a store cooked rotisserie chicken and put Frank's Red Hot Sauce on it. Eat it out of a bowl or on a sandwich.

If I'm really pressed for time, or just don't feel like roasting a chicken, I'll do this to make chicken and noodles. Strip most of the meat, boil the carcass down to get a stock, cook the noodles in it, then add the meat back in and serve with mashed potatoes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Here's a better idea. Let's all quit posting about posters posting and get back to the topic of inexpensive cooking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

the grocery store stuff is cheaper if you are only making enough for dinner for one night for a few people

Bingo.

I can make some drat fine rolls, as one would expect, but I can't do it as cheap as I could in the bakery, because I'm paying retail for ingredients and my time is worth something.

Make rolls at home if you enjoy it or want to do something specific, but you can't beat three bucks a dozen at the store unless you're making them by the gross.

Doc Walrus posted:

So my bean-and-bacon soup is finished and holy poo poo, it's good. This is going to become a regular thing for me. Dirt cheap, full of carbs and protein, and delicious. Now I just need to safely store the leftovers without having the equipment for a proper ice bath (unless one ice tray counts as an ice bath.)

Just let it come down a bit so it doesn't spike the fridge temp then huck it in the fridge. Time and temp says you have 6 hours to get it below 41 degrees f, which so long as you're not putting a gallon of boiling soup into a dorm fridge, yours should handle fine.

If you're really worried about it, several single portion containers cool faster than one large one.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A good bean soup works just fine without all the additions anyway.

My goto is pretty classic midwestern/southern, start by sweating mirepoix and bacon or ham in a little butter. Add a gallon of water, a pound (dry) of pre-soaked navy beans, and a ham bone. Salt, pepper, couple bay leaves. Bring up to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 90 minutes or so until the beans start to get soft. Pull the bone before serving.

Serve with (or as I prefer on top of) cornbread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I need to eat more vegetables. What're everyone's favorite staple vegetable dishes that are easy to make, but you still don't get tired of them? Soups and stews are good, too, though I've completely failed to make broccoli soup in the past.

Colcanon is high on my list.

It's essentially mashed potatoes with green onions and kale or cabbage. Works as a side with almost anything, and if you use whole milk and real butter it's a complete meal on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Take care of yourself dino. I know this sort of thing is easier for grumpy introverts like me, but struggling with not getting the human contact you need is very, very valid.