Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

bartlebee posted:

Here's a cool tomatillo salsa I just got from my girlfriend's abuelita, great for breakfast burritos or anything else you'd salsa up. Super cheap; we got the veggies from the local Hispanic market. One pound tomatillos, three serrano chili peppers, couple cloves of garlic, salt to taste. We peeled the leafy greens off the tomatillos, and removed the stems from the chiles. Then, we roasted the peppers and tomatillos until they got a good char on them, ten to twenty minutes on stove top. Remove from heat. Chop the peppers first in a food processor, then add in the tomatillos and garlic. After it's blended smooth, salt to taste. Great flavor. After this first batch, I'd probably add some more garlic and maybe a habanero to take the heat up a notch, since the serranos seemed a little mild. It was like, maybe two bucks for all the ingredients and was a great addition to the breakfast burritos we made.

When you say you roasted the peppers and tomatillos on the stove top do you mean on the burner in a pan with oil? I'm new to all of this and have always assumed that roasting happens on the inside of the magical cooking box :shobon:

I assume you leave all of the seeds in the peppers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The soy chorizo from Trader Joes is awesome and goes really well in breakfast burritos.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

avocado makes for a delicious easy no cook pasta sauce. throw some avocados in a food processor with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, fresh basil, some chopped spinach (optional, but I always keep cubes of the stuff in the freezer), salt, pepper, a dash of chilli if you want and a big ol handful of grated parmesan. Also add a ladle full of the pasta cooking water, and whiz in the food processor, then stir through your pasta.

I'm probably being pedantic, but would you mind posting some rough guidelines for a newish cook? I just picked up the ingredients, here's my guess - let me know how close I am 😆

3 small avocados
1/2 cup oil?
Handful of spinach
Half handful of basil
Juice of one lemon
2 cloves garlic

And for the chopped spinach cubes do you just blend the poo poo out of some spinach and ice cube tray it?

Thanks for helping a n3wb

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Bean and rice bowls are awesome

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I made that a week or so ago since I used to have it a bunch when I was a kid.

The smart move is to skip the mush and just make jalapeño corn bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Savory chickpea bread? Is that what I'm looking at?