Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The best thing is to find a local butcher - depending on where you live, this may be a kosher butcher, halal butcher, carniceria, etc. It's more than likely going to be an ethnic joint, though - this is good! They're serving communities which demand a certain quality. Ask these butchers questions, get to know them. Find out where they get their meat and how they treat it - they'll probably be very proud and happy to tell you after they figure out that you're not from PETA or something. Once you have this relationship built, you will be able to get super high quality, ethical meat at prices which are in almost all cases even better than Costco.

I agree with the part about finding a local butcher, but if you're finding very cheap meat, there's a very high chance it was factory farmed. Raising cattle is an expensive business, especially if you want to do it ethically. Ethnic butchers by no means guarantee better quality meats than your supermarket. However, they will often offer cheaper cuts than supermarkets.

If you're poor and you want to eat meat, it's going to be unethically raised. There's very few exceptions to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Then eat cheaper cuts of meat or eat less meat.

I agree - I just wanted to point out there's not really an ethnic butcher loophole.