Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Moey posted:

I believe that most people in the GWS forum would be disgusted by what I cook and eat (nothing repulsive, but very minimal compared to how some of the threads that I follow). I have been following this thread since the beginning, and am going to start making more elaborate cheap meals (maybe even some pictures too), but have already expanded from the buttered noodles that I could pretty much eat everyday.

Something new I tried this week. Eggs and Rice.

Sounds strange. I made a bunch of white rice (actually cooked it in chicken stock instead of water since I had chicken stock) that I had left over (used first part of it in a stir fry type meal that wasn't the best). So for dinner/brinner one day after work, I tossed some butter into a skillet along with a good portion of rice. Added pepper and garlic salt and heated until rice was edible again. Then whisked two eggs and dumped them in. Cooked until done and dumped into a bowl.

Wasn't have bad. Tried it a few other times and spiced it up with a dash of hot sauce while eating.

Rice is cheap. Eggs are cheap. Food was good (atleast for me). If everyone doesn't hate this too much, I'll try and add more cheap things I make. I'm not too fond of veggies, so my meals are pretty bland by others standards, but I love breakfast foods, so that doesn't involve too much greens.

Throw in some/all the following:
Frozen peas and/or corn
Onions (spring, white or red, your call)
Frankfurters (I hate frankfurters in most situations except in fried rice, go figure)
Bacon (I always have some cooking bacon in the fridge, it costs about 75p per 500g).
Soy sauce.

As slinkimalinki said, any vegetables you like go here too. (For egg fried rice, I really like cabbage, broccoli, carrots, sprouts (Brussels or bean) and/or peppers, in any combination).

A dinner fit for a (skint) king. In fact, I might well have it tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Rurutia posted:

Being as this is a 'I'm poor thread' and just for the sake of (you should never use bouillon cubes), you should make your own chicken stock instead of using bouillon cubes. Better yet, don't get boneless, debone your chicken, make stock, use meat.

I don't know about anyone else's butcher, but for the few I've bothered to ask in the UK, bones are free. Chicken, lamb, beef, whatever they stock, you can make into stock. I freeze all my left-over veg peelings (except peppers and potatoes) in a bag, and make stock whenever I get chance - 30 minutes in a pressure cooker and you have ~1.5L (three pints) of stock. Reduce and freeze into ice trays. (Bag up the cubes once they are frozen, and then you can re-use the ice trays for ice. Or left-over wine. Or tomato-water cubes (to really gently caress with people who insist on putting ice in scotch and/or use in cooking).

And if you're feeling particularly poor (or really want a tasty awesome snack), roast your beef bones cut-end up for about 15-20 mins, and spread onto some (preferably home-made) toast. Eat with something green. (Here is a great resource as to why this tastes so great http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bone-marrow-recipe/#axzz1jd5vhEuE)

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

ashgromnies posted:

I love making bread with a steam pan but the oven at my new place only has one rack. I tried putting a Pyrex dish on my baking stone next to the bread, but it cracked and sent Pyrex flying all over my oven as soon as I added the water.

Any alternatives to get some moisture? Could probably use a water sprayer every 5 minutes or so?

You can use a ceramic mug - especially if you put hot/boiling water in the mug (rather than starting with cold water). Kilns are substantially hotter than even the best home ovens, so ceramic is fine in an oven.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for veggie/spice combos to go with chicken thighs? I wanted to roast some chicken thighs and veggies for dinner, but I get stuck on thinking up really good combinations.

This recipe is good: Levi Roots' Puerto Rican chicken. Chicken with rice, peppers, onions, olives and lime. I must make it at least once a month. It's a fire-and-forget dish, so you can get other stuff done in the time (like washing up, or watching TV).

Edit: hosed up the url code.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

While I'm not British I assume gravy granules are bullion powder

Gravy granules are basically bullion powder + thickening agent - add boiling water, get (pretty terrible) gravy.

Ninja Edit:
I went looking for the ingredients for the best selling UK gravy granules (Bisto), so here they are:
Potato Starch, Salt, Wheat Starch, Colour (E150c - caramel), Yeast Powder, Onion Powder.