Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So my local supermarket is running a special for the month. Whole Turkeys at $0.37 a pound.

I'm going to do a thread on it next week, how to butcher a turkey for parts (as opposed to just roasting one whole, as people are used to during the holidays), but I wanted to post this here to let people know to be on the look out for really good deals on whole turkey between now and the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Price chopper was doing 37 cents a pound for all trips over a certain amount. I normally try not to spend much at the grocery, but I'm sure I can knock out some dry-goods and non-perishables that I can put up in the pantry to hit the magic number. I don't mind spending the cash as long as it's stuff I'll use over the course of a few months and not have to buy them down the road.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Everyone should know how to break down poultry. You are on a divine mission from the cooking gods my friend.

Buy a turkey, break it down into 2 leg quarters for roasting or stewing, 2 breasts for baking, 2 wings for baking or frying, and a carcass for stock. That's my plan at least.

That's pretty much the plan, exactly. I'm going to take the breasts as boneless cuts to brine, roast, and then thin-slice for lunch meat. The thighs will probably be de-boned for stew meat, and I'll roast or smoke the legs. The wings I'll probably put for stew/soup meat depending on how big they are. Then, make stock with whatever is left.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Any tips to reduce my food budget? I have some unusual parameters.

A. I am living in a small island nation. All food is expensive. Some general info on prices:
1. Dry goods that last forever: slightly more expensive than the US
2. Frozen goods: about 1.5 the price in the US. Cheaper for things that will freeze forever or can come from New Zealand & China. More expensive for delicate things from farther away.
3. Fresh goods like milk, fruits & vegetables: ungodly expensive. Anything from 4x to 20x the price in the US, if you can find it at all. This includes cream, butter, and cheese. Eggs are an OK price since there are local sources.
4. For meat there is only frozen or canned. Canned meats are the same as you’d find anywhere. Frozen meats favor undesirable cuts. For example, chicken breasts are 3.99 a pound, quarter legs are .99 a pound, there are plenty of turkey tails, gizzards, and offal for an ok price. Protein prices go Chicken < Fish < Pig < Cow.
5. Buying in bulk does not usually help. There is no price reduction for buying 20 pounds of chicken vs. 1 pound. If you go to a wholesale place there is a slight price break at obscene amounts in case you are stocking a store or restaurant but I don’t have freezer space for 200 pounds of chicken.
6. A few things are much cheaper than usual. Ocean Fish and Reef Fish range from $1 - $4 a pound. Some of these fish cost a fortune in the US. Bananas come in many varieties and are very cheap, same deal with coconuts and breadfruit. Crab and lobster are delicious and cheap but hard to find. This food is not always available here in the capital, it’s purchased fast and early from local markets and there just isn’t enough to legitimately sustain the population.
7. I can get most spices for a reasonable price, since they’re dried goods that keep well.
8. Energy costs are a legitimate concern, as is household heat. If a recipe calls for 8 hours at 350 degrees it’s adding like $10 to the meal price and making my family miserable.

B. My family is local, and have particular tastes
1. They love rice but they hate beans
2. All meals should come with a meat-protein (sometimes eggs can count)
3. Spiciness is controversial. I like it, sometimes I can sell it to the family, but too much fire or exotic taste and it becomes Dad-Only Food.
4. Our staples are stir-fry or fried rice with canned or frozen vegetables, fried/oven cooked / boiled fish or chicken with rice. Sometimes BBQ. I bake a bunch, baking recipes that avoid butter are much more affordable.

C. Normally I’d just “do as the Romans do.” People here know how to eat dirt cheap. But they do it by eating a mountain of rice (sometimes sweetened) with a tiny piece of protein. Dinner is a single fried drumstick and two pounds of rice. This is a one-way ticket to diabetes town, which is an absolute epidemic. It’s also really boring and unsatisfying when you aren’t born to the diet. I end up over-spending on proteins to at least get a balance that feels right.

I’d especially appreciate new recipes that use cheap-for-me ingredients. Some of the recipes and common wisdom in the thread end up really expensive in these circumstances. I have basic tools and alright skills at cooking. Bonus points if it’s healthy, produces good leftovers, and is fast enough that I can make it after work or simple enough for my wife (who doesn’t know much American style cooking) to make it.

So first thing first, in your situation, your protein of choice is going to be fish and eggs. Both of these are cheap for you, and they also cook quickly. Nearly all the fish based recipes I know of are less than 20 minutes in terms of heating time, and egg recipes tend to be done very quickly as well.

The chicken is a good cheap option as well, as long as you're going for leg quarters. Honestly .99/lb is about as good as it gets even in the US. The kicker here is that chicken needs longer cook times, in general. Those turkey tails can be useful in a stock, but the kicker there is that stock is an all-day heating project.

Use things like bacon and spam as seasoning, not as a primary protein source. If you're worried about diabetes, then let me also make you worried about sodium. Cured meats are salt-bombs, and a little once-in-a-while is great, but eating spam-spam-egg-sausage-bacon-and-spam every day is just as bad for you as throwing down sugared rice. But a little now and then to add some flavor to things is just fine.

If you've got lots of banana varieties, then I would start looking into them as substitutes for rice. Rice is great every now and then, but if you're cooking healthy, then it's sort of an empty carb. Bananas have better nutrient density, and if you have access to multiple varieties, then you can pick and choose based on the dishes you're cooking. If you have a plantain-like cultivar, you can shred with a grater and steam it to get a rice-like substitute. Let us know what sorts you have access to, and I can give you more recipes for them.

Frozen/canned veggies are going to be your friend here, if fresh are ungodly expensive. Look for things like "stir-fry blend" which will have onions, peppers, snap peas, bok-choi, and other veggies in the same freezer bag. Otherwise, things like broccoli florets, snap/snow peas, carrots, cauliflower and greens like spinach are going to be your go-tos.

I'm not familiar with breadfruit, but it looks like a winner compared to rice when you're talking about nutritional content. About the same carb level, but much higher protien, and lots of minerals and vitamins.

Recipe Ideas:
Fishcakes made with grated banana or coconut - You can even use canned fish like salmon or mackerel with this. If you've got fresh fish, then mince a fillet, mix with grated banana or coconut, seasoning to taste (chopped onion and garlic, curry powder, pinch of salt, whatever you want), and an egg. You're looking for a dough-like consistency. Then pat it into cakes about 40 to 50mm across, and 10mm thick. Then fry in an oiled skillet until golden brown on each side.

Pickled Eggs - This is a great way to make a high-protein snack. All you need is some hard boiled eggs that have been peeled, some vinegar, water, and spices. I can give you a more detailed recipe if you want.

Riced Banana - If you have a starchier banana like a plantain available, grate it and then steam it. The result will be a "banana rice" with better nutritional content than regular rice. It'll still be starchy, but at least it'll have better vitamins and more fiber than white rice.

Fish and Coconut curry - This may take an hour to cook, but it's super good and if you make a bunch at once it is a great left-over meal. It keeps well, and the flavor generally improves with time as the spices meld into the dish.

Fried rice (you can use the plaintain rice in this) - you've got cheap chicken and fish, inexpensive eggs. Use frozen vegetables. You can decide how much rice goes into it. When I make fried rice at home, I'll often cut the rice in half, or only a third of what is normally used.

Breadfruit Tamales So apparently if you cook a breadfruit until it is soft, then grind it in a food processor with a little oil, you get a dough that is similar in texture to masa. That means you can make some tamales with it. These freeze really well, and all you need to do to cook them is steam them or toss them in a microwave. Also a fun kid-activity since making tamales is sort of like setting up an assembly line in your kitchen. Everyone gets a job, and passes it down the line to the next person.

Questions:
1) Do you have access to outdoor cooking facilities like a grill?
2) Do you know how to clean and fillet a whole fish?
3) Do you have space for a garden, even if it is a container garden?
4) Would you consider fishing or crabbing as a hobby or pass-time for the family? (Do you have access to a small boat or a long pier, or like to snorkel/scuba?)
5) Do you know how to de-bone chicken thighs?
6) What sort of frozen vegetables do you have access to? If we know that, then recommending specific recipes will be easier.
7) What does the family have against beans? There may be work arounds if we know why they hate them.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 13, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Prokosch posted:

1. We do have access to an outdoor grill, but charcoal is expensive. Coconut husks aren't, but they're trickier to use.

2. We can clean fish easy enough and I've filet them before, but I'm not very practiced with it and haven't done it yet here. I usually just buy big chunks of tuna or we eat the fish whole. Local style, which my family likes, is to just remove the dirtiest organs from the fish, cook it, and eat everything but the bones head to tail. Not good for something like fish curry though, so I could work on that skill.

3. I have a small container garden (just one "earthbox" style thing). The soil here is aggressively poor for most plants, even with containers salt spray is a danger. I'm trying to grow some fresh tomatoes, spinach, and green beans.

4. I don't have the time for it and the area where we live is a bit polluted (heart of the capital). Most of the local fish/crabs are caught further out and we don't have a boat. Could try fishing from our spot on the lagoon anyway, I've talked about it with my wife we just haven't bought anything to do it yet or committed to it. Would still be nice to do if I get the time, the lagoon is breathtaking and an excuse to swim in it is nice. We'd want to travel first if I'm spear-fishing, people don't swim in it anymore around our house because it leads to rashes.

5. I've never tried de-boning thighs. In the US I would always buy breasts or already deboned thighs. Here we cook mostly quarter legs in ways that don't involve removing the bones. That's a good tip, I could try to learn how to do that right for more flexibility in recipes.

6. We have an alright variety of frozen veggie packages. Sometimes there is a shortage, but when they're available I buy exactly the "stir-fry" packages you're talking about. Price isn't bad either, $2-3 a pound. Also brocolli, cauliflower, and carrots. I put them in stir-fry and fried rice.

7. Mostly it's just unfamiliarity. Bean textures are "gross" and their flavor/aroma is "stinky" and every member of the family will complain about my white-man ways and pick around them after eating one. If I was really sneaky about it I could probably sneak bean proteins into things (smash and flavor them) but it doesn't count as real food without at least a bit of meat.

Gotcha!

So, my first tip is, "If you won't swim in it, don't eat from it." Originally I was going to suggest that since you had a line on cheap turkey tail, that you could get a few crab pots like these: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-10161-009-Two-Ring-Crab/dp/B0084EFRVQ?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

When I was a kid, we used to hit a pier and go crabbing, baiting the nets with turkey tail and chicken necks. One tail/neck could easily catch three or four dozen crabs over the course of an afternoon. I won't suggest that it's a way to supply all protein, but it's something fun and relaxing to do once a week, and you get a crab dinner out of it in the end. But, if you're living in a place where pollution is an issue, then DO NOT do this. Just grab them at the market when they're available.

De-boning thighs is easy, mostly you're just making a single cut along the underside of the thigh, along the length of the bone. Then it unrolls to free the bone, and there you have a boneless thigh.

Looks like you're ahead of me on the vegetable front. Keep on keeping on.

Def. pursue getting varied fish from the market, though (whatever is cheap) and practice those fillet skills. If you've got access to reef fish, then a triggerfish curry is in your future.

And I'll ponder on the beans. Often people make up their minds they don't like something, and that's that. I fear that if you try to sneak them in, you're just going to get more push back.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The biggest thing to check if you're going vintage is the cord and the plug. Give it a good long look and see if it has any fraying, dry-rot on the cord or around where the cord meets the plug. Do the tines of the plug feel firmly affixed in the plastic, or are they wiggly? When you plug it in (and for god's sake, plug it in before you walk out of the store with it), does it feel firmly attached to the wall outlet, or does it jiggle around?

Any sign of wiggling or jiggling should give you a reason to take a pass. Any dry-rot that might expose bare wire should be a red flag.

Otherwise, it's probably good to go.

That said, the internal thermostat that causes it to keep "perfect temperature" might not be as good as on a newer model, and if something's going to "break" on one of those, my guess it would be the thermostat. It's probably not going to cause a fire, but it might overcook/undercook the meal you prepped.

I'm not going to tell you to avoid or seek out a vintage crockpot, but it's worth bearing in mind that you can get a new one for about the price of 5 to 10 meals you would cook in it, if that helps put this in perspective. Looks like the price on a good 6qt model is about ~30 bucks from Amazon. New models will have better timers/temp control on them, and will generally be easier to clean. (Most modern slow cookers have lift-out crocks that can be shoved in a sink or dishwasher instead of the 70's models which required you to carefully wash it out without getting the exterior wet.)

But listen, if you're cash strapped and the thrift store has one for $5 and it looks in good shape, though - go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Captain Lavender posted:

What a cool thread. I've been eating to lose weight and to save money in the past couple of years, and so finding ways to inject flavor into my weekly prep has been fun and educational.

I don't know if it's poor technique - I'd be interested to hear if there's a good reason not to do this: A while ago, I made Kenji Lopez's broccoli cheese soup, which was delicious. It starts by sauteeing onions, carrots, broccoli and garlic, then simmering it for 30 minutes in chicken stock and milk, and then immersion blending it into a thick soup base before adding cheese. Lately, I've been taking left over vege scraps from the week, and re-creating that step with a cup of milk, and a few cups of water with bullion cubes. And just spice is however I feel like. I use things like garam masala, and cayenne a lot. I don't make the cheese soup, but just that base. By itself, it makes a delicious creamed vegetable soup. I prep lunches for the week - I can use this base in cooking to both add more flavor, and to add a sauce to the lunches. It's really added a huge amount of flavor to things like chicken and rice for relatively little effort and almost no extra money.

I've started cutting up whole chickens recently too. Making a good stock, and using the above technique, I've really been surprised by how much flavor you can squeeze out of things so easily available to you, and for cheap.

I mean that seems like a pretty solid practice to me at a glance. It's more or less just making stock. Depending on the type of vegetable scraps you've got I might strain them back out rather than blending them in just for texture issues--I don't think my blender would ever get onion skin smooth enough for my liking. I'd also probably add the milk in later in the process to reduce any scorching risk, but if you've got it watered down to begin with that's a pretty low risk.

18 Character Limit posted:

I searched over the thread for a somewhat related topic: food storage. A lot of references to containers and storage, but not a lot on effective storage guides for kilos of rice or beans or onions.

Having food storage for a month seems like a good idea, especially in cold climates where you might get snowed in or as at the start of US COVID where stores were just flat running out of stuff or closed.

I sort of don't want to be replacing containers often. Or I would if they were inexpensive enough or reusable for nonfood purposes.

Seconding Cambro as something that is relatively inexpensive, incredibly useful, and lasts forever. It's how I store my flour, rice, beans, sugar, etc. They're handy and rodent proof, and they store away easy because they stack. They might be more expensive than disposable storage up-front, but in the long term they'll save you tons of money.

As for storing onions, I'd include a caveat. I'm assuming you're talking about whole onions with the skin on, but you don't want to store those in any sort of sealed container. Onions need to breathe, so you'll want some sort of open top storage like a cambro without the lid. Personally I just have a basket that will hold 20lbs of onions, and every few months I replenish my stock when I catch the grocery store running a buy one-get one sale on 5lb bags of of yellow onions. No need to refrigerate. The only concern you need to consider is if you have a dog that will try and eat everything, because onions are dog poison.