Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Befriend somebody who has a chicken coop. Once you offer to take overflow eggs once they will never stop coming.

Oh yeah, I can't find borax anywhere. Every grocery store has washing soda, though.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Jyrraeth posted:

Isn't Borax used as an insecticide? Or just for ants? because anywhere that sells insecticide would sell just plain borax.

You're thinking of boric acid, or hydrogen borate. Borax is sodium borate. :science:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I've seen butt portion hams as low as $1.49 a lb here. I like that they come with a nice big hunk of bone in the center for making pork broth. This usually goes into some split pea soup with some smoked ham hocks.

I know I pimp them in every thread about cheap food, but golabki are a ridiculously cheap and hearty main dish. I'm not going to go too far into it as excellent directions can be found here: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/recipestepbyste1/ss/stuffedcabbage.htm

Note that you can use tomato sauce in place of broth. With the leftover cabbage you can mash some potatoes and make colcannon, and then use the broth after the dish bakes for excellent gravy. You can also buy 3 large beets for about $2 where I am and use extra cabbage and carrots to make simple red borscht (boil everything together with some beef stock). No shame in buying some frozen pierogi either.

All in all you can feed at least 6 people for under $15. Don't forget sour cream!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

squigadoo posted:

What is a bubble & squeak pie?

It's basically a patty made from leftover colcannon that is fried in butter until brown and crispy. It is delicious for any meal of the day and a legendary drunk food.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Here's my sawmill gravy recipe. I like to add cayenne. Also I'm required to inform you that I'm a Yankee.

1 lb pork sausage
1 quart full-fat milk
4-8 tbsp white flour
Salt and pepper

Begin cooking the biscuits.
In a soup pot, cook the sausage and drain most of the grease.
Add flour to the sausage grease to make a roux.
Add milk and bring to a simmer.
Gradually add flour until desired consistency.
Add a pinch of salt and season generously with pepper.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 10, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:gonk:

The grease is the most important part!

I usually drain at least half of it out. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong but if I leave it all in I get little seperated streaks of grease in the finished gravy.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you have the space, the most economical thing is o raise your own chickens. They eat chicken scraps and bugs in your yard, they give you eggs, and when they've gotten a bit older you can turn them into delicious suppers.

Also, entertainment because chickens are downright hilarious.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

A lot of cuts are sold as "chops", but when I think chops I think that one that looks like a tomahawk with the bone handle.

It should be a rule not to sell not-chops as chops. They don't do it with lamb. Lamb chops are always lamb chops.

tldr;chops are something you can chop with

I think that, like all meat products in the US, there is a high demand for boneless items, and this extends to pork chops, hence calling some boneless cuts "chops" when they really aren't. Just a guess.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mach420 posted:

I went and bought a head of iceberg lettuce. I didn't pay attention, and when I got home, I saw that it was mostly hollow inside after the first few leaves.

What? Is this a joke? How is this possible? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

dino. posted:

People do falafel without hot fat? Howfuck else can they be done? Ugh, please don't tell me, I'll likely feel sick. Probably some baked abortion.

Don't worry it says they are dropped in the deep fryer first.