Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Casu Marzu posted:

Don't boil your stocks.

EAC meant to say simmer I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dabbo posted:

Lately I've been buying lots of produce and using it for smoothies and sandwiches. A good shopping trip will only cost me a bit over $10, and most of that will be from the bread and deli meat.

Would it be worth it to start making my own bread as well? Or would regularly buying all the ingredients just cost as much/more than the $2 day old loaves at the bakery?

There's an amazing no-knead bread recipe where you stick some flour, yeast, salt, water into a bin, put it into the fridge, and whenever you want bread you tear off a hunk, let it rise for 20 minutes, then stick it into the oven. Costs very little if you get yeast and flour in bulk.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hint: putting spices into ground (beef/pork/chicken) in the fridge for a night makes your own delicious sausage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Huh, looks like I touched off a shitshow! By "you can make your own sausage" I meant that, instead of buying "Italian sausage" that looks identical to ground meat in the supermarket, you can instead buy the ground meat (which is likely cheaper) and then put spices in yourself.

Yes, if you want the casing, you'll need equipment or just buy premade sausages, and if you feel loose sausage and ground meat + spices are vastly, incredibly different, then whatever floats your boat I guess.

edit: realizing this is kinda snarky, if there truly is a huge difference, by all means, I'm curious.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 3, 2012

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Seasoned ground meat

Not to say that supermarket labeling inherently makes any sense at all, but are you essentially saying that supermarket labeling seasoned ground meat as "italian sausage" or somesuch is completely false and makes no sense at all?

What about breakfast sausage patties, they do not deserve the label sausage in any way?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Logiwonk posted:

OK, so what do I do with them besides slice them thin and put them on salad?

Eat the fuckin greens, they are so delicious with eggs or alone or whatever. Then slice them thin and put them on salad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A lot of jarred sauce already has sugar. :sigh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

niss posted:

As a frequent eater of grapes, I am not sure I understand the freezing part either, unless I was saving them for smoothies. Do you just suck on them till they thaw in your mouth, and then eat.

That sounds lovely actually. I should try that! Little ice cubes that turn into delicious grapes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

M42 posted:

Ah, ok. Main difference I noticed between east coast and west coast is that meat prices are cray in the west. Not even costco has it that low. Gonna have to keep an eye out when I move back :ninja:

You can get whole chickens for that price on the east coast (suburbs of boston). Gotta pay attention to stop n shop's weekly deals and such, but it comes up sometimes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

M42 posted:

Oh yeah, I know, I lived in Boston for 13 years. Which is why when I moved to the bay area and saw regular chicken for like, what super mondo organic gold fed chicken would go for on the east coast I was like :wth: $8/lb? Get the gently caress outta heah

Cheapass veggies and fruit year round evens that out, though.

...hoo boy, that's why I shouldn't post while tired. I read your post in opposite land and thought you were having trouble finding cheap chicken on the east coast.

Good luck, and stay off BART right now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think he more means that cashiers get annoyed when you try to pay for poo poo with a bunch of pennies.

And I think he means that ringing up grapefruit as a cheaper type is stealing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But for the most part, cholesterol in food isn't the cholesterol that hurts you, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Definitely beans.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Or just use a rice cooker and it comes out pretty good, and reheats fine with a sprinkle of water and covered.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cheese? I'm sure you can smoke veggies. Fish, certainly, which totally doesn't count as meat for that definition.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

Gonna start trading GoKs for cheeseburgers.

One of the funniest multiple-threads-I-have-read crossovers, I gotta say.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just make a huge batch of chili and eat a small bowl of it in the morning. Or make a chili omelette.

Really, any protein based non-breakfast food goes great as breakfast, with an egg. Or without, if you really don't want eggs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PiratePing posted:

I moved to a place where the farmer's market is actually more expensive than the supermarket. They make in-season stuff MORE expensive until it's nearly rotten, you have to pay more because it's better you see? :pseudo:

I dearly miss my giant piles of awesome veg, but in exchange I get to live within a 15 minute walk of one Chinese, one Thai, one Korean and one Moroccan supermarket. Life is flavourful in a different way now!

Wait there are places where farmer's markets are cheaper than supermarkets??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That Works posted:

For in-season stuff I find this to be true more often than not. At least for standard vegetables.

I've never seen that, ever, at my local ones in eastern MA.

Stupid rocky cold land.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. When I lived in a primarily agricultural community, the farmer's markets were cheap as hell: go buy a 50 lb bag of unwashed, unsorted potatoes from the Hutterites for like $3. Now I live in a primarily bureaucratic city, and they're ridiculously expensive and populated by "artisanal" products.

I mean, to be fair, stuff doesn't grow in the northeast yet so there was literally two tiny stands of grown things and everything else was, as you said, expensive artisanal products. But even during prime growing season, everything is expensive, definitely moreso than grocery stores.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Isn't the name chili con carne, implying just chili does *not* have meat?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

its no big deal posted:

1 cup milk
4 bags chai/spice black tea
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup+ apple sauce/oil/butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar

Steep the team bags in the hot milk for 5 minutes, then remove. Reserve 2 Tbsp steeped milk for glaze. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Create well in middle. Pour in hot milk, vanilla and apple sauce. Mix well. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 F for 45-60 minutes.

When loaf is almost cool on wire rack, mix leftover milk with powdered sugar and leave for 5 minutes before pouring over cool loaf.

Tried this with apple sauce and it came out super duper dense; any idea what might have gone wrong?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Same, but cheap st patricks day corned beef. Cooks it in an hour instead of many.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Going to the grocer after St Patty's day, you can often find corned beef briskets for closeout prices. Buy a couple and freeze them.

I made a great carbonara last night, using bacon and some corned beef. Wish I'd had some chives though.

You're using that weird version of "couple" that means "ten", right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is why God invented chest freezers. And for hams after next Sunday. Stock up kids.

Yes. We do in fact have half a dozen in our chest freezer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

I made a big pot of chili because it's like $3 a serving, but I forgot to drain the beef after cooking it, so I ended up with super super greasy chili.

And now I'm eating it all out of principal :(

It's so good :(

gently caress draining beef for chili. All that fat is all flavor, baby.

No seriously gently caress draining it. Maybe if you have like 60% or something but still.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_(beer)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Even more shocking is your username, 10 Beers. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I love chicken adobo, my wife hates vinegar and stews so I only make it when I want to eat the entire batch myself, but it's so good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fuckin drat. Those are some amazing tips, and not just for when one is depressed, I can immediately see some things that can help when I'm stressed with work, my wife is stressed with the baby, we're both frustrated with the preschooler, and whoops guess it's fast food night again.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean that's more or less arepas, right?