Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

H110Hawk posted:

Just get an eero if all you want is qty 1 wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/eero-mesh-WiFi-router-extender/dp/B07WMMD6DD/ - Great value.

you could not pay me money to put an alexa device in my home, especially not one bolted on handling all my wifi device traffic lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sniep posted:

you could not pay me money to put an alexa device in my home, especially not one bolted on handling all my wifi device traffic lol

Lol does that actually have an Alexa inside? Whoops. I thought it was an Alexa client app.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Anyone have experience with some of the higher end Ruckus Zoneflex? Have a couple floors about 2000 sqft each. Could I get away with a couple of them mounted on the ceiling in the middle of each floor? Layout is pretty similar on both floors with a large mostly open space in the middle and rooms around the perimeter.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

H110Hawk posted:

Lol does that actually have an Alexa inside? Whoops. I thought it was an Alexa client app.

I don't think it has a speaker but who knows what it's running if it's an amazon product. I worked for Twitch for 6 years and got email invites to do product dev testing for those teams and it's nightmare fuel.

anything that's built BY amazon and features alexa in the description is suspicious as gently caress at best.

the price is also in that "subsidized by somthing" range, to me. a little too cheap. what's the catch.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Sniep posted:

I don't think it has a speaker but who knows what it's running if it's an amazon product. I worked for Twitch for 6 years and got email invites to do product dev testing for those teams and it's nightmare fuel.

anything that's built BY amazon and features alexa in the description is suspicious as gently caress at best.

the price is also in that "subsidized by somthing" range, to me. a little too cheap. what's the catch.

It's a used and refurbished version of their absolutely bottom tier option which is a WiFi5 device from about 5 or 6 years ago. They are also hoping you pay $10/month for add-ons of minimal value. I have one kicking around and it's trouble free but fairly slow.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

buffbus posted:

It's a used and refurbished version of their absolutely bottom tier option which is a WiFi5 device from about 5 or 6 years ago. They are also hoping you pay $10/month for add-ons of minimal value. I have one kicking around and it's trouble free but fairly slow.

all of this is valid, i should have held back the last statement. but i'd still not trust them as far as i could throw them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I got some expensive eerosisis. Eerosi. Eerosits. …with my fiber signup, but loaned them to a friend because trusting Amazon seems like a bad idea, however irrational that is.

I do like my Glinet Flint for its “it’s just a regular router+ap combo but you can also do one click AdGuard and it’s openwrt based/compatible” aspect, but I heard they are going closed source in the future.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

buffbus posted:

Anyone have experience with some of the higher end Ruckus Zoneflex? Have a couple floors about 2000 sqft each. Could I get away with a couple of them mounted on the ceiling in the middle of each floor? Layout is pretty similar on both floors with a large mostly open space in the middle and rooms around the perimeter.

I haven't used ZF in like 5 years but it was rock solid with great coverage back then. Expensive though!

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Sniep posted:

all of this is valid, i should have held back the last statement. but i'd still not trust them as far as i could throw them.

I'm still looking forward to getting rid of them and replacing with real hardware. Would love to have just 1 or 2 really good APs which can reliably hit a gigabit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah I don't believe for a second they aren't data mining the dns and http stuff. Just like Google.

Note if it had a microphone I wouldn't have gotten it. I only got it because it's cheap as hell. Honestly it blankets my 2200 Sq ft house.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

buffbus posted:

I'm still looking forward to getting rid of them and replacing with real hardware. Would love to have just 1 or 2 really good APs which can reliably hit a gigabit.

How are you testing, and are you using 80MHz channels? I've tested several different WiFi 6 APs and a few different client chipsets, and none of them seem to break around 750Mbps on Speedtest (vs. 930-940 for my wired desktop) unless I go up to 160 which not all clients support. I am not sure if it's realistic to expect getting to 1G without either doing that or somehow finding a piece of WiFi 6 client silicon that supports 3+ MIMO channels.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 21, 2024

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Eletriarnation posted:

How are you testing, and are you using 80MHz channels? I've tested several different WiFi 6 APs and a few different client chipsets, and none of them seem to break around 750Mbps on Speedtest (vs. 930-940 for my wired desktop) unless I go up to 160 which not all clients support. I am not sure if it's realistic to expect getting to 1G without either doing that or somehow finding a piece of WiFi 6 client silicon that supports 3+ MIMO channels.

On top of that I've found that few services reliably use more than a few hundred mb anyway. I've wired up the few places where it matters and am living with "only" 500mb connectivity otherwise.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Some of the Eero engineers are active on reddit answering user questions. They seem extremely above average for a home router company. I don't think them being acquired really changes that, or hasn't yet.

There's no Alexa stuff in the Eeros, and the only mention on the page is that an Alexa skill exists. I think some of the echo dots can be Eero extenders as well. That is a nothingburger.

They explicitly state in two places they do not track user activity.

Maybe tone down the paranoia, it's a pretty good recommendation compared to any home router that does not automatically and regularly receive security updates.

Eletriarnation posted:

Consistently get ~1.15gbps on cisco 9120axis with 80 mhz channels. I should try 160 some time for fun.

On the wired side I just finished up a more powerful opnsense router. 20 years ago me would be blown away that I can get this for $70/month.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KS posted:

They explicitly state in two places they do not track user activity.

But they explicitly do collect MAC addresses, IPs, network data, hostnames, headers, wifi mapping vs other networks etc.

Imo this is similar to the Google scheme where they don't have to collect all your data with any one product, because its laughably easy to correlate it all together on the back end. Its trivial for them to identify you with your data, even if the router itself doesn't track that... cause everything else on the internet does.

And maybe im :tinfoil:, but my opinion is that they should pay me cash money (not just a discount on the router) if they are gonna farm me for data. But everyone is gonna have their own privacy per dollar valuation.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

KS posted:

Consistently get ~1.15gbps on cisco 9120axis with 80 mhz channels. I should try 160 some time for fun.

Interesting, maybe I just need more than 1G wired then - I'm using a 9130 right now.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I haven't pulled the trigger yet and uh... I'm willing to pay extra for privacy. Can I get another option? haha :sweatdrop:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Peteyfoot posted:

I haven't pulled the trigger yet and uh... I'm willing to pay extra for privacy. Can I get another option? haha :sweatdrop:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the eero. The rest of the internet is doing exactly this as well. It's on par with your phone knowing exactly where you are and who you're with at all times. (think Apple devices which constantly beacon ble - it's how airtags work so well. Or Google devices which <you name it>)

If you have. Ore budget consider getting a latest gen eero.

There are probably still truly disconnected devices, I'm not up to date. I use an ER-X router and u6-lite ap personally.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you're really concerned about it, I would look for a router which supports OpenWRT. GL.iNet sells several models which advertise it (like this AX1800), but you can also check the Table of Hardware to find a supported device if you want to find something cheaper or from a particular brand.

You could also get a last-gen Cisco AP off eBay and set up the embedded WLC like I did - I'm pretty sure they're not stealing my info from that - but that's kind of hard mode, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't already work with them.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If you're really concerned about privacy then don't use a computer/the internet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

If you're really concerned about privacy then don't use a computer/the internet.

:hmmyes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even if you don't care about privacy, free yourself from the machines

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for laying it out that way! I forgot that my devices are already collecting a bunch of info on me. :downs: I'll grab that refurbished eero then. I do occasionally tinker with hardware/software stuff, so it's good to know I can swap to something OpenWRT based if I want to.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I've had an orbi setup for a number of years and its been good to me overall, and I originally chose it as a mesh product that didn't require the internet to setup/configured support the mesh. A number of products at the time did. Is it safe to assume their newer versions haven't poo poo the bed with dumb stuff?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Thanks Ants posted:

Even if you don't care about privacy, free yourself from the machines

from the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

But they explicitly do collect MAC addresses, IPs, network data, hostnames, headers, wifi mapping vs other networks etc.

Wait, what headers do they collect? Do you mean IP packet headers or HTTP headers?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, what headers do they collect? Do you mean IP packet headers or HTTP headers?

They're in the section about access an eero "Site" so in theory it's just their websites, where you collect headers to process data. These laws are so ham fisted they make lawyers write "yes we use the normal browser stuff to give you a website" but it also gives companies huge umbrellas to hide under if they don't extremely narrowly scope things in their policies.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

They're in the section about access an eero "Site" so in theory it's just their websites, where you collect headers to process data. These laws are so ham fisted they make lawyers write "yes we use the normal browser stuff to give you a website" but it also gives companies huge umbrellas to hide under if they don't extremely narrowly scope things in their policies.

Yeah I don’t see how that Site language would let them do anything except maybe request headers when using the admin UI, but even then that would require that they were considered the operator of that device and I don’t think they want that…

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I am running some ethernet outdoors for a camera, so I figure it's time to properly split up/VLAN/etc my home network (as opposed to having everything on a dumb switch behind the NAT). I don't want someone to be able to plug into my outdoor ethernet jack and start sending stuff to my printer or w/e.

Hardware I have on hand:
- Netgear WNDR3700 v2 access point. Atheros AR7161 @ 680 MHz, 16MB flash, 64MB RAM.
- RockPro64 sbc. Rockchip RK3399 @ 1.8 GHz, 32GB eMMC, 4GB RAM.
- 2x Raspberry Pi 4.

Right now the Netgear AP WAN port is connected to Comcast cable internet roughly 120/20 Mbit/s. The AP runs NAT. One of the Raspberry Pis does adblocking DNS.

So for an upgrade, I'm thinking of sticking a quad-port Intel nic in the RockPro64 and runningOpenWRT. Maybe add a USB hard drive so it can be a NAS for the security camera?

I will also install OpenWRT on the Netgear AP, but only use it for AP-things, not routing my WAN connection.

Does this make sense? I am trying to save some money by reusing various computer parts I already have.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
We have a shared fibre connection (symmetric 500Mbps) with our upstairs neighbours. An ethernet line runs from their router to our apartment. On this I currently have a Netgear R6260 set up with its own LAN that provides WiFi and wired connections to all our stuff. However we have thick walls, the router is in an inconvenient spot, and the WiFi sucks. I was thinking of putting a different router on the line from upstairs, then running cable to the R6260 and probably another similar WiFi thing as access points in other places in the apartment. If the new router could run Wireguard and an ad blocker as well as doing routing that would be great.

Is my plan reasonable? Any hardware/software that you can recommend for the task? Is this a job for the unused RPi4 I've had lying around forever, cheapo second hand PC, dedicated router of some sort?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

big scary monsters posted:

We have a shared fibre connection (symmetric 500Mbps) with our upstairs neighbours. An ethernet line runs from their router to our apartment. On this I currently have a Netgear R6260 set up with its own LAN that provides WiFi and wired connections to all our stuff. However we have thick walls, the router is in an inconvenient spot, and the WiFi sucks. I was thinking of putting a different router on the line from upstairs, then running cable to the R6260 and probably another similar WiFi thing as access points in other places in the apartment. If the new router could run Wireguard and an ad blocker as well as doing routing that would be great.

Is my plan reasonable? Any hardware/software that you can recommend for the task? Is this a job for the unused RPi4 I've had lying around forever, cheapo second hand PC, dedicated router of some sort?

I'd probably just stick a switch there and run ethernet to wherever you want the router, it's cheaper and an easier start.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Recommend me a switch?

I'm about to upgrade my AP to probably a Unifi U7 or something (open to suggestions on this point too), so then I need a switch that does PoE+ and ideally 2.5G. I could just go with a Unifi one of course but they're quite expensive and ideally I'd like to manage it with ansible which I believe is hard to do with Unifi.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Since doing product research on google is near impossible nowadays, whats a good wireless router for under $150 that can go to ranges of 50 feet or beyond? I have an ISP provided router in my room that chokes half way to the kitchen area. Current speeds are 300Mbps, plan allows us to go to 1Gb, but I don't see us going up to that level any time soon (and I have the most sensitive item, my computer, hardwired anyway). My ISP gives (rents) me a modem and router, so I think replacing the router first is a good call.

Also willing to buy a refurb unit/"last gen" unit. Those are safe, right? Or no?

e: Also will my ISP, Spectrum, complain if I get a router that's not in their preferred list or something? I feel like that matters more for modems than routers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Usually the issue in reaching N feet, where N can optionally be attenuated by walls of different thickness and materials, is not the radio in the gateway device being able to transmit with enough strength.
Instead, the issue is that the (often mobile) device can’t send the same signal back, both because it’s a lower-power device, and because you can’t tweak the transmit strength.

The only good solution is something that places access points in every room (preferably powered centrally with PoE and long Ethernet cables, or by using meshing), with lower transmit strength, and good roaming support.
Thread is full of recommendations for that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Real quick one:

Can this PoE switch, a TP-Link TL-SG1005P https://a.co/d/aoP31nV

Be powered by this switch, a Yuanley that pushes 48v? https://a.co/d/bgiTxFU

Why? I just finished running cat 6 cables from my basement to the attic and separate cables down into the rooms upstairs. There’s just no power in the attic so I was hoping to power the switch with PoE.

Edit: think I answered my own question. The term seems to be “PoE in” a la this one https://a.co/d/flD9mb9

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tuyop posted:

Edit: think I answered my own question. The term seems to be “PoE in” a la this one https://a.co/d/flD9mb9

Yep :v:

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You are probably better off home running the cables to the basement. Attics get hot.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Usually the issue in reaching N feet, where N can optionally be attenuated by walls of different thickness and materials, is not the radio in the gateway device being able to transmit with enough strength. Instead, the issue is that the (often mobile) device can’t send the same signal back, both because it’s a lower-power device, and because you can’t tweak the transmit strength.

The only good solution is something that places access points in every room (preferably powered centrally with PoE and long Ethernet cables, or by using meshing), with lower transmit strength, and good roaming support.
100% this, it's really easy to make an access point transmit strongly enough to be heard across a normal residence using high-gain antennas and turning up the power to the legal limits, but with the exception of desktop PCs you usually don't have the option to upgrade antennas nor the battery power to even consider high power levels. Even then pushing the limits of power tends to lead to lower signal quality so your increased range usually comes at the cost of performance.

Imagine you're trying to talk with people throughout your home. Most people reading this can probably yell hard enough to can be heard most everywhere, though it may be muffled and/or echoing in distant rooms causing trouble understanding and at the same time someone in the same room is likely to be uncomfortable. Others might be able to yell back loud enough for you to hear as well, but small children might not be audible. If two people at opposite ends of the house try to yell back at the same time they might not hear each other at all but you in the middle can't understand either of them as a result. Those problems are more or less the same problems that happen when you try to have a single central high-power access point handle everything.

Putting more smaller access points throughout the space and running them at lower power levels is instead like having individual conversations in each area. No one's having to yell to be heard, people on different sides of the house aren't interfering with each other, etc.

It's not a perfect analogy but it should get the point across. There's a reason in commercial radio the single big transmitter approach is limited to broadcasters and extremely localized or low traffic radio systems where cell phones and larger trunked radio networks use a bunch of smaller ones that get smaller and smaller the more densely populated an area is.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
quick question:

I've seen these little clip things that hold 4,5,6,8 strands of cat-5 together in a flat, parallel configuration. I want to buy a couple for some cable runways here at home but I don't know what they are called to google them. It's the same kind of thingy that holds spark plug wires together in a car.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

There's a reason in commercial radio the single big transmitter approach is limited to broadcasters and extremely localized or low traffic radio systems where cell phones and larger trunked radio networks use a bunch of smaller ones that get smaller and smaller the more densely populated an area is.

This is in fact why they're called cell phones: Because they use a network of small cells the mobile radio can roam between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

wolrah posted:

100% this, it's really easy to make an access point transmit strongly enough to be heard across a normal residence using high-gain antennas and turning up the power to the legal limits, but with the exception of desktop PCs you usually don't have the option to upgrade antennas nor the battery power to even consider high power levels. Even then pushing the limits of power tends to lead to lower signal quality so your increased range usually comes at the cost of performance.

Imagine you're trying to talk with people throughout your home. Most people reading this can probably yell hard enough to can be heard most everywhere, though it may be muffled and/or echoing in distant rooms causing trouble understanding and at the same time someone in the same room is likely to be uncomfortable. Others might be able to yell back loud enough for you to hear as well, but small children might not be audible. If two people at opposite ends of the house try to yell back at the same time they might not hear each other at all but you in the middle can't understand either of them as a result. Those problems are more or less the same problems that happen when you try to have a single central high-power access point handle everything.

Putting more smaller access points throughout the space and running them at lower power levels is instead like having individual conversations in each area. No one's having to yell to be heard, people on different sides of the house aren't interfering with each other, etc.

It's not a perfect analogy but it should get the point across. There's a reason in commercial radio the single big transmitter approach is limited to broadcasters and extremely localized or low traffic radio systems where cell phones and larger trunked radio networks use a bunch of smaller ones that get smaller and smaller the more densely populated an area is.

Also to continue the yelling analogy if everyone is yelling at the same time, then it's really hard for anyone to tell what is actually being said