Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody should hate themselves enough to try and terminate shielded cable (Cat 6A), Cat 6 is more than good enough for 10Gb over the distances involved at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

For anything longer than a few feet using copper for more than 2.5G is inefficient, and using it for more than 10G is wasteful. For anything local, DAC is the answer. For anything else Cat6a is a good and useful standard cable. Run Cat6a when you're doing new installation. Decision point #1: You don't need 10G, stop it. Decision point #2 (if you ignored #1): Just run fiber.
Counterpoint: 10G SFP+ and OM3+ LC-LC with a cut-through switch to eliminate as much latency as possible, and so you can switch to 40G and 100G when you find that 10G isn't enough :black101:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Well yeah, thats why I ran OM3 along side 6a. Because I hate money, and love big number.

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody should hate themselves enough to try and terminate shielded cable (Cat 6A), Cat 6 is more than good enough for 10Gb over the distances involved at home.

I never found them that hard to terminate. But its also easy to run it and just trim the shield and just not use it. Much easier to re-terminate using the shield in the future rather than pull a new cable.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ubiquiti just released a UXG Max with 4 2.5gb lan ports and 1 2.5gb wan port. Pretty much exactly the product I wanted as I already have a cloud key, and only have 2 2.5gb computers and sub-gigabit Internet service.

https://techspecs.ui.com/unifi/cloud-keys-gateways/uxg-max?mc_cid=761b665d3e&mc_eid=34dd846cce

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SpartanIvy posted:

Ubiquiti just released a UXG Max with 4 2.5gb lan ports and 1 2.5gb wan port. Pretty much exactly the product I wanted as I already have a cloud key, and only have 2 2.5gb computers and sub-gigabit Internet service.

https://techspecs.ui.com/unifi/cloud-keys-gateways/uxg-max?mc_cid=761b665d3e&mc_eid=34dd846cce

https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-cloud-keys-gateways/products/uxg-max

$200

Also not awful pricing I think. Still only up to 1.5gbps routing IPS but :shrug:

e: lmao $29/month for Official UniFi Hosting with their recent security history on that NO THANK YOU

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 3, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Shugojin posted:

https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-cloud-keys-gateways/products/uxg-max

$200

Also not awful pricing I think. Still only up to 1.5gbps routing IPS but :shrug:

e: lmao $29/month for Official UniFi Hosting with their recent security history on that NO THANK YOU

I'm a bit of a novice with some networking stuff, but am I correct in that the IPS/IDS limit is only for WAN traffic? Will the LAN ports be able to transfer at the full 2.5Gbps? It's not a deal breaker for me either way, but an absolute non-factor if it only affects the WAN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's probably a 5-port 2.5Gbps switch with a 10Gbps uplink to the SOC or whatever, I don't think Ubiquiti publish block diagrams. So yes, you'd get the full 2.5Gbps between devices on the LAN that were in the same subnet.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
I am pretty stupid so the common wisdom "buy preterminated fiber" I ignored.
Bought an fusion splicer+cleaver and A MILE of (12f single mode OS2 armored direct burial) cable today. Pretty excited.

My project is ~3262 feet across between 4 fiber cable assemblies.
Buying preterm would be ~$5,067. $1.55/ft
Self terminating cost is ~$3,656k. $1.12/ft. With the spare ~1800 feet I want to expand dropping it to $0.73 a foot.

What do people do for 1u rack mount termination? I need something that supports terminating 2 cables (so 24f) in a 1u or 2u. Needs to support the splice itself and the cable coming in. I am currently thinking this thing on ebay?
What about field termination in a box? Not sure what to have for an outdoor enclosure. Would be nice if it were DIN mount.
I am going to run 12/2UF-B and put 48VDC over it (being weary of voltage drop). Run some POE stuff, cameras, sip ip phones on the other end, probably 10g transceivers cause I can.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Outdoor fiber termination boxes aren't normally din mounts, they're expected to be mounted on walls/poles/etc. Look like this usually : https://phantomcables.com/products/indoor-outdoor-24-port-plastic-fiber-terminal-box-white

There's lots of rackmount fiber mounts like you linked (see at that site above too).

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
What you're looking for is called a fobot

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get a tray that is a drawer that comes out rather than something you need to undo rack screws to get to

https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/fibre..._lc_duplex_24dx

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

“life easier in the future”: run conduit if you can, and a run of pulling line alongside the cable if you can’t, so you can more easily get updated/additional cable along there later

Thanks, this is a great idea. I'll put some thought into whether it makes sense within the existing floor plan. Unfortunately the outward facing walls are a bitch to drill through, there's probably an air gap somewhere in all that concrete and brick but I have yet to find it.

Eletriarnation posted:

Cat6 is fine out to 55m for 10G, so unless you have a huge house you don't really need to spring for 6A. It might not be a substantial cost increase in your case, but when I got 10 drops put in my house (e: in 2017) it was going to be either ~$900 for Cat6 or 1500 for 6A. It was unclear if 6A would ever have any benefit, so I stuck with 6.

Also agreed that if you really care about 10G and especially beyond you should just run multimode fiber. You're going to have to make some compromises on cost and power consumption to put a whole house on 10GBase-T, especially if you don't already have the NICs where cost per port is like $70 vs. $20 for SFP+. (e: You can buy used X540-T1s instead of new AQC107 cards to narrow that gap a lot, but the switches/SFPs will still cost more.)

Thanks for this! Whatever I do will be within that length anyways.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Need some Unifi AP tech support please. I have the Unifi controller on my main PC and I'm going to reformat it soon so I remembered that I think that requires me to backup the configs for my two APs.

When I launch the controller (probably an old version, 6.0.28) and click "Launch a Browser to Manage the Network" the browser opens https://localhost:8443/manage which fails. Maybe I need the IP of one of the APs in there instead of localhost? I see those IPs listed in my device list on my router, but they don't work. They aren't static AFAIK.

I've accessed this before and don't think I had to anything, but it's been awhile. The last time I think I might have had to deal with some Java issue that wasn't letting it work for a different reason though. Any advice?

edit: I got it. It was just old as poo poo software. Updated to what is now called the Network Application.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 5, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just make sure you backup "The Controller", not the APs like you were describing. The AP's don't care. What matters is you make a backup of your current controller so that it saves all the security key material so any unifi device on your network will recognize the new controller as the correct one.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Asked this in the hardware questions megathread and was pointed in the direction of here and the NAS/storage thread

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I work for a small metal fabrication shop and my boss uses Mycloud for most of his CAD file data storage so he can do the modelling work for our contracts at the shop and at home. However he has had serious issues with mycloud being down repeatedly preventing him from actually working.

We recently moved to a much bigger shop/office space and given the growth the company has been seeing I was wondering if it might be worth investing in a smallish storage server so he doesn't have to rely on Mycloud.

I've built my own gaming PC's over the years so I'm not completely blind to this kind of stuff but if this sounds like a good idea, can someone point me in the direction of something user friendly as its likely I'd be the one who has to set this all up.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Asked this in the hardware questions megathread and was pointed in the direction of here and the NAS/storage thread

I’m a huge fan of synology. Literally takes 15 minutes from first power on to up and running, super easy to use GUI and straight forward. Though I use it mainly for m365 backups and as an NVR.

Also has a remote connect feature but I assume you’ll be setting them up with VPN access to the network.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I work for a small metal fabrication shop and my boss uses Mycloud for most of his CAD file data storage so he can do the modelling work for our contracts at the shop and at home. However he has had serious issues with mycloud being down repeatedly preventing him from actually working.

We recently moved to a much bigger shop/office space and given the growth the company has been seeing I was wondering if it might be worth investing in a smallish storage server so he doesn't have to rely on Mycloud.

I've built my own gaming PC's over the years so I'm not completely blind to this kind of stuff but if this sounds like a good idea, can someone point me in the direction of something user friendly as its likely I'd be the one who has to set this all up.

Synology NAS, Tailscale for VPN, Cloud backup :sun:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just need to get the firewall and VPN configuration correct. That’s probably the number one DIY sticking point because there is a gulf to either side of the road - on one side it doesn’t work, on the other it’s practically public. Cloud services thrive selling you mediocrity for cash because they at least just centralize a few IT guys to keep the service running and secure.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tailscale takes most of the pain out of that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wibla posted:

Tailscale takes most of the pain out of that.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Tail scale is built on top of WireGuard right?

I just set up WireGuard on an azure Ubuntu vm with a public IP and using this shell script (at https://www.pivpn.io) it literally took a couple of minutes to get my phone (on my home WiFi) set up to surf thru the azure infra.

Realized it didn’t have pihole ad blocking and so I ran the script at pi-hole.net and it set that up. It literally took 10 minutes.

Pivpn add
Pivpn -qr

Bing bang boom

All that said, I am having an issue maybe the thread can help me figure out. For some reason my iPhone WireGuard works great on my home WiFi but fails miserably on AT&T cellular (in Texas). Im using the same client profile, default listen port. Endpoint and port to the azure vm is the same. I’ve even tried changing the listen port to a lower port number from 52182(?) or whatever to something below 10000. Client says it’s connected but Logs show that it can’t handshake correctly and I see no packets received from any that my phone sends. It’s really weird… I hope it doesn’t have to do with routing because I suck at that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tailscale is basically a fancy control plane for Wireguard, meaning that you have a fully meshed network instead of hopping through a central server, as well as a pile of management and observability tools. You can share just a single service with someone else, or use Tailscale to ssh into a node based on your Tailscale-auth credentials, or configure subnet relays.

posted while wearing my Tailscale hoodie, but I have no financial interest in it

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

namlosh posted:

I’ve even tried changing the listen port to a lower port number from 52182(?) or whatever to something below 10000.

Try changing the port to 443, maybe AT&T will leave it alone.

It would be funny if this works.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

namlosh posted:

All that said, I am having an issue maybe the thread can help me figure out. For some reason my iPhone WireGuard works great on my home WiFi but fails miserably on AT&T cellular (in Texas). Im using the same client profile, default listen port. Endpoint and port to the azure vm is the same. I’ve even tried changing the listen port to a lower port number from 52182(?) or whatever to something below 10000. Client says it’s connected but Logs show that it can’t handshake correctly and I see no packets received from any that my phone sends. It’s really weird… I hope it doesn’t have to do with routing because I suck at that.

Shot in the dark: ipv4/ipv6 issues?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Att mobile blocks port 22 for me. Switching to 443 on a VPN or whatever solves it. It's turbo dumb. They appear to be doing carrier nat on ip6 as well based on the what is my ip6 sites.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

H110Hawk posted:

Att mobile blocks port 22 for me. Switching to 443 on a VPN or whatever solves it. It's turbo dumb. They appear to be doing carrier nat on ip6 as well based on the what is my ip6 sites.

ryanrs posted:

ryanrs posted:

Thanks all for the replies... I tried switching my listen port to 443 and it still doesn't work. do I need to create a new client profile on my cloud server (and then qr-code it to the phone) when I update that setting? I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask. I'd think as long as the endpoint address and port stays the same it would be fine.

I had thought maybe IPv6 could be part of the problem as well... cloud doesn't do any IPv6, and if I go to whatsmyip.org on my phone with wifi off, it'll show me a regular IPv4 ip: 107.33.x.x
It IS the weirdest thing and I'm sad it doesn't work. Any other things I can try, please do share.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

CGNAT issues ("carrier grade NAT") most likely. Assume that you don't have any inbound open ports that you can use.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does ATT give you an IPv4 address on your phone or does it do NAT64 which relies on the IPv4 endpoint being resolved in DNS and not by IP?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

posted while wearing my Tailscale hoodie

I want one :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
There's also netbird as a tailscale alternative that offers a self hosted version.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I use Wireguard from my iPhone, and over ATT its never had issues even traveling internationally, no port fuckery required.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aware posted:

There's also netbird as a tailscale alternative that offers a self hosted version.

Is that much different from using headscale as the control plane? I guess you’d have to run your own DERP relays too.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Doesn't appear too different no, I forgot about headscale

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

M_Gargantua posted:

Just make sure you backup "The Controller", not the APs like you were describing. The AP's don't care. What matters is you make a backup of your current controller so that it saves all the security key material so any unifi device on your network will recognize the new controller as the correct one.

Thanks. Just saw this. I made a backup by launching the Controller in my browser. Then Settings -> System -> Backups and downloaded one.

When I reformat the PC do I just download the now known as Network Application, run that, login with my current name/pw, and go to Restore? My PC is on ethernet so I'm assuming that potentially removes any issues given the fact that the only Unifi stuff are the APs.

I don't entirely understand what restoring the config is actually doing since the APs run fine when my PC is off. Can't imagine I lose Wifi on other devices when I do this reformat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The controller has all the preshared keys to update configurations. The controller doesn’t do any routing or WiFi, it is just a network monitor and controller. But if you don’t restore the backup the APs will see the new controller, and it will see them, but they won’t talk because the APs are looking for “their” controller, and won’t just start letting some random piece of network software give them orders.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're just doing basic stuff you could also just use he Unifi mobile app and ditch the controller. As long as your network name, password, and (I think) encryption method is the same your devices should reconnect. Then you don't have to worry about this problem.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/12594679474071-Standalone-Access-Points-without-UniFi

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Just put in my TP-link Omada system. I upgraded from the tp-link deco wifi 6e mesh system (which was dropping phone calls if I moved around the house). I have the 1g router and 2 eap670 aps. I love it and the amount of control i have over my home network now. No more dropped calls and good coverage over both floors of the house.

I am also getting a ds224+ synology nas. I'm wondering if I should just wait for the ds923+ to go on sale.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Also had the Deco 6e mesh (XE85 pros) and can confirm it was hot garbage and is now in a drawer till I can offload it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Tuff Scrote posted:

Just put in my TP-link Omada system. I upgraded from the tp-link deco wifi 6e mesh system (which was dropping phone calls if I moved around the house). I have the 1g router and 2 eap670 aps. I love it and the amount of control i have over my home network now. No more dropped calls and good coverage over both floors of the house.

I am also getting a ds224+ synology nas. I'm wondering if I should just wait for the ds923+ to go on sale.

I just ended up maxing out my DS1817+ with both expansion unit DX517s so I'd always recommend getting the one featuring more bays + the one with external expansion support.