Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Shugojin posted:

As long as you aren't expecting it to actually do multi-gig despite having the 2.5G WAN it's actually a well priced little box for its feature set I think

Nah I only have a 500mbit fiber line. Could go up to a gig but I dont really need the extra speed.

There’s no forced cloud subscription or anything is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cloud Gateway Ultra would be an instant buy for me except for the single 2.5Gb port, I'd like to see two of them and a few gigabit ports, and have them be assignable to LAN or WAN which Ubiquiti stuff doesn't always lend itself to. Still a bargain for what you get though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got one of those ultra cloud gateways and it’s a nice little box. I guess I could mess around with creating some vlans now and stuff?

One thing I kind of don’t like is the topology just shows the wired stuff and not the wireless from the 2 APs being managed.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

priznat posted:

I got one of those ultra cloud gateways and it’s a nice little box. I guess I could mess around with creating some vlans now and stuff?

One thing I kind of don’t like is the topology just shows the wired stuff and not the wireless from the 2 APs being managed.

There’s a little menu icon in the topology view on the top right there should be a setting in there that lets you select whether to show wired/wireless clients.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

There’s a little menu icon in the topology view on the top right there should be a setting in there that lets you select whether to show wired/wireless clients.

Yah I have that on, it’s very strange. It’s not a big deal just it did work when I was using my unraid UniFi docker controller before. Ah well.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
All wireless devices show up on the topology for my UCG-Ultras. Do you have a non Unifi switch between any of the devices?

All my APs are PoE so an injector might cause an issue.

The UCG-Ultra icon being a monitor is pretty funny though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One is connected straight to the ucg but through a PoE injector, and the other is going thru an unmanaged netgear switch with PoE ports. Only one of my APs works from that I think one was a different age and required + or something. Both AC Lites though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have my APs on a mix of Poe, injectors and fiber media converters, all show up as they should.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is the inform-host out of date? They could just not be fulling talking to the controller. The AP's don't care and will continue to function normally even if they're not getting communications from the controller, since the routing is separate.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Recommendations for getting wifi into a RV via a 5G connection / outdoor mounted antenna? Basically want the antenna to pick up as much 5G as possible or 4G if that's a better idea, 5G coverage isn't spectacular. But at least til I have the option of getting a actual WAN connection id like to optimize my experience without shelling out more than necessary. I'm comfortable installing and configuring it but just don't really know what equipment to be looking at.

Budget is $200 max, plus the $55 mo straight talk plan / sim I plan on using. Any suggestions?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Trauts posted:

Recommendations for getting wifi into a RV via a 5G connection / outdoor mounted antenna? Basically want the antenna to pick up as much 5G as possible or 4G if that's a better idea, 5G coverage isn't spectacular. But at least til I have the option of getting a actual WAN connection id like to optimize my experience without shelling out more than necessary. I'm comfortable installing and configuring it but just don't really know what equipment to be looking at.

Budget is $200 max, plus the $55 mo straight talk plan / sim I plan on using. Any suggestions?

I've run two setups successfully which you could crib -

1st was a Netgear LM1200, AT&T Sim, connected to an Antennagear M19 on a mast. The M19 was able to get strong LTE signal anywhere, but the speed was still atrocious because as an LTE data customer you are treated like poo poo (and unless that changed from what i've heard over the years its not just ATT customers). Also the datacap was horrid for the price they charged. Capped out at like 10Mbps with a 50GB data cap for $60/mo. And I know it wasn't the modem or antenna. Had that hooked up to an old ER-x, and mostly ended up using it to set up event wifi in remote spots, but for that it was mostly RFID scans to a local OrangePi with some local webserver to see results, which synced with the cloud over it, since that's all it was good for.

2nd was a gen2 Starlink, paid the extra for the Ethernet adapter (The Tim Apple Curse that Musk has carried forward), and while expensive the quality of service was actually unbeatable and issue free. I at least always hit 100Mbps with ~30ms ping and there is no data cap.

Since Starlink is out of your budget, the modem + antenna is your only option. However, I've heard nothing but complaints about the replacement Netgear offers for the LM1300. Especially if you want to use it as passthrough to your own network for routing and AP, instead of just as a single hotspot. Shop around. Make sure you match the antenna to whatever you end up picking. And carefully look at the data limits on your plan.

e; The packed setup for reference

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 15, 2024

Trauts
May 1, 2010
I'm not looking for much speed wise, anything over 15Mbps is good for me. Not really into gaming where latency would be an issue currently. I've gotten to where I get by with a minimum amount of bandwidth. But ideally I want to get something where I can have Usenet going rather than doing it via torrent on my phone + also get back into playing video games casually.

Thank you for the response I will look into that equipment. Good place to start and I definitely dig the amount of space that it fits into

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't think you can do 5G at your price point unless you already own a 5G USB modem that works in Linux or are willing/able to tether a travel router to your cell phone's hotspot mode.

GL.inet (who make some of the most popular travel routers) has a product for 4G for $150T though: https://www.amazon.com/GL-X750V2-Certified-EC25-AFFA-Installed-Dual-Band/dp/B08TRCSSZ4/

They do also have a 5G product but even with the $100 discount Amazon is offering me right now it's still firmly double your price point: https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-X3000-Multi-WAN-Detachable-WireGuard/dp/B0C5RCQ8N5/

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

T-mobile unlimited cellular is $60/mo for unlimited and includes the router. I get pretty good speed tests at all the locations I tried it (250ish down).

I’m sure unlimited gets throttled after a limit but it works for us.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just be aware that if you ever RV to anywhere scenic you're going to want to get a real antenna and a 12-20ft tall pole to strap it to when you park. Even just a low profile roof mount one is a huge boost in signal strength.

Trauts
May 1, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Just be aware that if you ever RV to anywhere scenic you're going to want to get a real antenna and a 12-20ft tall pole to strap it to when you park. Even just a low profile roof mount one is a huge boost in signal strength.

Yeah I plan on getting probably a directional one and just point it at the cell tower. 4G speeds are fine for me, idk what TMobile coverage is where I am at but i can check cellmapper. Thanks for the confirmation that I will probably be better served by doing LTE than 5G at my price point. Much appreciated everyone

lua
Jun 16, 2013
Has anyone got suggestions for a reliable home router, i.e. one that’ll just work consistently once set up, and perform decently? It’s for a standard 2 storey house of about 150 m2 with 500 mb internet and ~15 devices - I doubt I need mesh but I’m not opposed.

I’m replacing a brand new Netgear RAX20 that drops wifi until restarted all the time and trying to avoid the same thing happening, although it seems like almost all the routers I’ve considered have a bunch of user reviews saying they do something similar.

I’m considering eero (seems to be the most reliable but perhaps slow), a Synology WRX560, and various Asuses.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

lua posted:

Has anyone got suggestions for a reliable home router, i.e. one that’ll just work consistently once set up, and perform decently? It’s for a standard 2 storey house of about 150 m2 with 500 mb internet and ~15 devices - I doubt I need mesh but I’m not opposed.

I’m replacing a brand new Netgear RAX20 that drops wifi until restarted all the time and trying to avoid the same thing happening, although it seems like almost all the routers I’ve considered have a bunch of user reviews saying they do something similar.

I’m considering eero (seems to be the most reliable but perhaps slow), a Synology WRX560, and various Asuses.

you're not gonna like my answer.

Got a Netgear AX2400 (RAX30) about a month ago and its performed flawlessly. Feeling smug over how much its improved our network after campaigning to replace the old equipment in this place for months.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

buffbus posted:

For DNS I like to use this to find one:
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

drat, GRC is still around and actively updated. I wonder how much money he's been offered for that website?

On to my content. I have this network closet, misc cables for scale. I want to make it Not Awful. There is no active cooling, just whatever convection might happen under the door into the coat closet it's behind, which will in theory be filled with junk soon. All it's really going to host is a switch, 2-3 POE injectors, a small router, and that cable modem. The Eero won't be there. That APC is old and doesn't have a battery in it, just using it as a power strip because it was around. Nominally I want to get everything up off the floor and protect the cables from damage/being screwed around with. Yes they are dirty, they were bagged up there for while the house had its drywall patched, skim coated, and painted. The bag is going away.

There are 20x cat-something cables w/ RJ-45 ends and 1 coaxial cord. I'm going to wipe down everything before use, maybe a little isopropyl alcohol to on the ends. My general plan was to use "coupler" style keystones in a 1U/24P keystone plate. What I'm not sure is what to then mount it in. It's tempting to screw it to the wall but this is the part where I quickly am terrible at planning and could use some help. My space is everything "inside" the cubby, and the "doorway" to it is 24" across. I haven't bought a switch for it yet. Any good ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DYLT4FZ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLMPG6HZ/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Something like the Startech wallmount maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDPBXM/

Pair it with a 1U power strip https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035PS5AE. And with a 24 Port PoE switch and you no longer need the external injectors either. With the way those cables are I would not use a keystone configurable patch panel, and just get a normal one thats just 24 premade RJ45's.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I'd recommend a vertical rack instead of horizontal as then gear is flush to the wall and you can get past it and use the rest of that space. Eg: https://a.co/d/j5CoD5F

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I have a Dream Machine and because of the layout of my house that I won't get into I need to run it into a switch which will then feed directly into a computer plus at least 1 (maybe 2) access points down the line. Is it better to get a unfi switch or can I just get any old switch? Those access points are powered via PoE, I think, so how do i calculate the power needs of the access points and how does that impact my switch choice?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

H110Hawk posted:

drat, GRC is still around and actively updated. I wonder how much money he's been offered for that website?

On to my content. I have this network closet, misc cables for scale. I want to make it Not Awful. There is no active cooling, just whatever convection might happen under the door into the coat closet it's behind, which will in theory be filled with junk soon. All it's really going to host is a switch, 2-3 POE injectors, a small router, and that cable modem. The Eero won't be there. That APC is old and doesn't have a battery in it, just using it as a power strip because it was around. Nominally I want to get everything up off the floor and protect the cables from damage/being screwed around with. Yes they are dirty, they were bagged up there for while the house had its drywall patched, skim coated, and painted. The bag is going away.

There are 20x cat-something cables w/ RJ-45 ends and 1 coaxial cord. I'm going to wipe down everything before use, maybe a little isopropyl alcohol to on the ends. My general plan was to use "coupler" style keystones in a 1U/24P keystone plate. What I'm not sure is what to then mount it in. It's tempting to screw it to the wall but this is the part where I quickly am terrible at planning and could use some help. My space is everything "inside" the cubby, and the "doorway" to it is 24" across. I haven't bought a switch for it yet. Any good ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DYLT4FZ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLMPG6HZ/

I'd consider putting the cables into some generic PVC pipe and just lead it down to the top of the rack you set up. If you want to wall mount it there's a ton of networking racks that are small, not too deep and wall mounted you could use. In that location it kind of sucks since it's finished, but I'm sure you can find some studs to screw it into (or put up some boards across attached to the studs, and screw the rack into those), you'd just need to measure what fits.

I'd shop for network rack and see how much space you'll need. You've got the 1U patch panel for the top, a switch under it, presumably also 1U, and maybe a 2U UPS at the bottom (or a rackmount shelf to put a non-rackmount UPS on). Some of them are around 6U which should be more than enough if it will fit. There's also floor standing ones that tend to be a little larger but they have ones with or without wheels.

If you don't want folks to bump anything inside of it I'd consider one with a door, and just browse the listings:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=network+rack

If the rack has an open top you could also put one of these fan units in it:
https://www.amazon.com/Rack-Mount-Fan-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B0B993XCGS

They have a cheapo temp sensor/controller that you need to read the cheat sheet to figure out how to set but it's usually like set it and forget it for 80 degrees or whatever. A general temp sensor for the closet wouldn't be bad either if you've got enough equipment in it but I wouldn't expect too much excitement from a switch and a couple of PoE injectors as your active equipment. Maybe a smoke detector just in case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

unknown posted:

I'd recommend a vertical rack instead of horizontal as then gear is flush to the wall and you can get past it and use the rest of that space. Eg: https://a.co/d/j5CoD5F

I was thinking about this for the cables themselves, but I still need a spot for the cable modem and switch. What would envision for that? Just a little table?

M_Gargantua posted:

Something like the Startech wallmount maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDPBXM/

Where would you mount it in your mind? The "doorway" into the cubby? I can't stress how bad I am at visualizing this stuff not being a disaster.

Looking further I wonder if something like this would be a good use of space:
https://www.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-15U-Open-Frame-Rack/dp/B07YYJMCNV/?th=1

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just want to voice my appreciation for the previous owner of this house who just attached a thick sheet of MDF to the wall in the network closet. Just screw things exactly where you need them, hooks, brackets, small shelves. Move things around later when needed. If it becomes too unsightly, it can be replaced.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I'd consider putting the cables into some generic PVC pipe and just lead it down to the top of the rack you set up. If you want to wall mount it there's a ton of networking racks that are small, not too deep and wall mounted you could use. In that location it kind of sucks since it's finished, but I'm sure you can find some studs to screw it into (or put up some boards across attached to the studs, and screw the rack into those), you'd just need to measure what fits.

I'd shop for network rack and see how much space you'll need. You've got the 1U patch panel for the top, a switch under it, presumably also 1U, and maybe a 2U UPS at the bottom (or a rackmount shelf to put a non-rackmount UPS on). Some of them are around 6U which should be more than enough if it will fit. There's also floor standing ones that tend to be a little larger but they have ones with or without wheels.

Maybe a smoke detector just in case.

A smoke detector is pretty brilliant. At least until the sensor cakes with dust. :v:

PVC an interesting idea. As for it being finished space, I fortunately have a picture around here somewhere showing the studs. I respectfully decline the UPS suggestion - the house has 20kwh of storage strapped to it. :v:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I have a Dream Machine and because of the layout of my house that I won't get into I need to run it into a switch which will then feed directly into a computer plus at least 1 (maybe 2) access points down the line. Is it better to get a unfi switch or can I just get any old switch? Those access points are powered via PoE, I think, so how do i calculate the power needs of the access points and how does that impact my switch choice?

Most APs are going to be PoE or PoE+ so any switch with those will work as it’s a standard. Though 24v/48v and PoE++ APs do exist so you should check the model.

Doesn’t have to be Unifi, but if you want to adopt it to the interface it needs to be. Cheapest Unifi PoE switch is going to be $100 while you can get a tp-link sg1005p for $50.

Alternatively, two PoE injectors and a non poe switch ($20 tp-link, $30 for Unifi)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

is there anywhere that you can look to see if a certain service is coming to your area? Recently I saw some ATT trucks hanging some kind of wire from the poles near me and was wondering if fiber might be coming to my neighborhood.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Arson Daily posted:

is there anywhere that you can look to see if a certain service is coming to your area? Recently I saw some ATT trucks hanging some kind of wire from the poles near me and was wondering if fiber might be coming to my neighborhood.

Right of way permits would be my first thought. They would have to file those with plans in most places prior to stringing or burying any lines. (At least anywhere I have lived, which is for granted not all that many)

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

H110Hawk posted:

A smoke detector is pretty brilliant. At least until the sensor cakes with dust. :v:

PVC an interesting idea. As for it being finished space, I fortunately have a picture around here somewhere showing the studs. I respectfully decline the UPS suggestion - the house has 20kwh of storage strapped to it. :v:

Since I know from other threads you are talking about the same storage setup I have, just know the your Enphase system may not kick on fast enough to keep all your gear up. It is fast, but not UPS fast. It is long enough that I get a notice from my NAS that it switched over to battery (APC UPS) for a split second when the system goes off grid. It is long enough my TV will shut off if we are watching something, etc. I think it all depends on the power supply for each piece of equipment and how much capacitance it has.

So sure, you don't need a UPS to have Internet and a functioning network in an outage, but it may power cycle when it goes off grid, if that matters to you or if you have equipment like a NAS that may be sensitive to a power loss.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 18, 2024

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Arson Daily posted:

If it's like my neighborhood, you won't be able to stop them from knocking on your door to tell you all about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

If you look at it you can tell if it's optical. It's generally around an inch thick and will have a much wider bend radius than copper. Look for an orange label around the termination/splice points - it will say "FIBER OPTIC" on it as a warning. Copper will not. Check for the bend radius things: https://electrical.codidact.com/posts/280327

Rakeris posted:

Right of way permits would be my first thought. They would have to file those with plans in most places prior to stringing or burying any lines. (At least anywhere I have lived, which is for granted not all that many)

ATT probably already has all of these from their copper days assuming they are the local incumbent. You can try calling the planning department and asking if ATT has started any fiber projects, however there is no guarantee they need any permits to do this work.

Another thing to keep in mind - they might string it right past you to get to a new apartment building where they bought monopoly rights on pre-wiring every unit. Or hang it on the pole and just not do anything with it for literal years if ever. Remember you're at the whim of a company who likes to pretend they're always on the brink of going out of business so the government keeps paying for their profits "capital build expenditures." They all do this, it's not an ATT specific thing.

ROJO posted:

Since I know from other threads you are talking about the same storage setup I have, just know the your Enphase system may not kick on fast enough to keep all your gear up. It is fast, but not UPS fast.

This is a good call out, it is definitely at the whim of hold-up time on the PSUs if you weren't already drawing from them. I already have a little cyberpower fire hazard I hang my NAS off of, so I will continue to do that. I'm OK with the internet rebooting. Thank you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah they likely have all the clearance they need from just existing utility easements that are open for basically every properly registered utility. If they're doing aerial and didn't have rights to put things on the poles already they probably had to pay the pole owners a make-ready fee but I don't think that's publicly viewable

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Looking further I wonder if something like this would be a good use of space:
https://www.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-15U-Open-Frame-Rack/dp/B07YYJMCNV/?th=1

The above 15U rack claims to be 20.25D x 20.25W x 26.25H. I went by with a laser measure this morning and I'm pretty sure I've mapped this out correctly. It looks like it would fit cleanly in all dimensions, with room to put the whole thing on locking casters so I can get it out to clean or let's be honest pile junk behind it.

1U Laptop server (lol, sticking out the top)
1U patch panel w/ strain relief & labels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CVKVZ1NP/
24 keystones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DYLT4FZ/ (Sadly the pink ones cost $5 more.)
1U network switch (TBD)
1U PDU https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Mountable-Spaced-Commercial-Switch/dp/B08DCZDX21/ (Might splurge for individual switches?)
3U Cable modem on the second shelf

That's 7U of stuff, which leaves room to add on a 2U fan plate or whatever else in the future. Any suggestions on the temp sensor? Otherwise I might literally just put a thermometer there and keep an eye on it. If it survives the winter (when the heater is running) it will be fine in the summer.

Am I an idiot for this specific project?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Only thing I'd say could be an improvement would be a 1U network-accessible PDU that also lets you see the amount of power you're drawing and toggle each device without being in the room.
They can often be had as surplus from a datacenter, or refurbished - so don't have to be expensive.

I'd arrange it such that the 1U server can be replaced with a 3U server if you ever find one that can fit in the dimentions and decide a laptop isn't enough.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is there such a thing as a small gigabit switch that's powered by PoE? (Doesn't have to provide it).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Netgear GS105PE or the Unifi Flex / Flex Mini

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get a WiFi router recommendation? I have a handful of Apple devices in a small space (800 square feet), although some of the walls between rooms are pretty thick.

My current router is an ailing 6th Gen AirPort Extreme that I have been stubbornly using for a decade in hopes that the OP would be updated, but I have finally let that dream die.

RIP My Hopes Jun 7, 2018 - Mar 20, 2024.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just get an eero if all you want is qty 1 wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/eero-mesh-WiFi-router-extender/dp/B07WMMD6DD/ - Great value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Just get an eero if all you want is qty 1 wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/eero-mesh-WiFi-router-extender/dp/B07WMMD6DD/ - Great value.

Perfect, I'll pick one up! Thank you!