Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Amrosorma posted:

How is the range on the Linksys E2000? I'm looking to get a new router :ohdear:

I picked up a refurbished one on newegg a couple weeks ago. Still running stock firmware and I have had no issues with range. I'm on a 3rd floor apartment and I can clearly get signal out by my car, which puts another couple apartments between me and the router, in addition to the distance.

It kinda runs hot though and I've read some people had issues with it overheating (and subsequently drilling holes to increase airflow) but I've had no issues streaming Netflix or running a time machine backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Spiritus Nox posted:

No way to test that without setting it up on two computers? Like, I can't just see how quickly I'm able to exchange data with the router itself?

You've got to send meaningful amounts of data to get a meaningful speed test. Easiest way to do that is send data to another computer. Iperf does that and gives you a nice report at the end. The router may have a speed test function, which is probably a wrapper on iperf anyway...

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

cheque_some posted:

Yeah, this is basically what I did at my own place, but I think the ILAF (in-law acceptance factor) on this solution is going to be low.

Yeah I almost took a friend up on some Google Wifi units he was getting rid of until I realized you could only configure them through some app associated with your Google account. I don't want to deal with the hassle of using my own device/Google account to set them up, then trying to transfer it to my father-in-law's phone/Google account. I'm also opposed in general to these app-only units, because you're at the mercy of the vendor to continue supporting them (and I'm old and would rather just use a computer than a phone). That's why I mentioned that in my OP that I didn't want any app-only systems, and ruled out the Eeros and Google units.

You can set up "manager" accounts in addition to a main owner account that give you the same admin rights so you don't need to do any funky account sharing. (at least, you could a few years ago before I dumped my google wifi stuff for ubiquity :haw: )