Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hello, wireheads.

I currently have Cat 5e run to most places in the house that I want it, with 3 UniFi in-wall APs for wifi (5) coverage. The APs are PoE off a UniFi switch, and I have an EdgeRouter that does PPPoE passthrough through the ISP’s router/AP. I use the switch ports on a couple of the in-wall APs to connect our desktops and a couple of consoles. Everything is gigabit. In the wiring closet (which is sadly not the right size for rack-mountable stuff) is the home server, which is used for backups but not streaming media currently.

In the office, I have a small LAN of my desktop, a Mac Mini, a RPi, and either my Steam Deck or laptop depending on what I’m fiddling with, all connected into a 2.5GbE switch.

For no especially urgent reason, I’d like to upgrade my wired network to be 5GbE+, which basically means 10GbE because nobody ships 5GbE stuff it seems. I’d also like to upgrade to Wifi 7 to let newer devices take advantage of their fancier Wifi chips.

I think I can get away with leaving the Cat 5e in place for 10GbE since the runs are pretty short, but otherwise I’ll pull Cat 6a. I’m not sure what to do for APs, since finding in-wall ones that have 10GbE ports on them seems unlikely, even once Wifi 7 is out. I’d really like to keep using PoE even if I have to deploy separate APs in the ceilings or whatever. Obviously (?) for Wifi 7 I’d need beyond-gigabit backhaul on the APs to make use of the full speed. I can get up to 8GbE ISP service, but that doesn’t really make sense until I have a border device that can handle more than a gigabit.

I’m not emotionally attached to any of this hardware, though the UniFi controller interface isn’t terrible and I have learned to live with the EdgeRouter admin. I do really like the in-wall APs, but the UBNT Wifi 6 ones are the size of a dinner plate, so I might be out of luck there.

What are people using for 10GbE home networking at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean whatever I end up replacing will find a good home somewhere else, but yeah I’m not especially price sensitive and some of this gear was hand-me-downs from the really crazy home networking folks I used to work with.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

Unless you have a whole group of people over streaming on their laptops/phones you're just not going to feel the improvement. I realize this is an academic concern because the prompt is "I want to spend a few grand on my hobby of absurdist home networking" and who am I to comment driving an out of warranty German car I cannot do my own work on a few hundred miles a year. :v:

Fair enough. The use case I have in mind is both my wife and me installing games on our Decks at the same time, and I’ll freely admit that I’m stretching to get there.

I can wait for the hardware to evolve, since there’s no incipient crisis.

It’s too bad that 5GbE didn’t get more support, since that would be closer to reasonable for my use case, but it seems like there isn’t a lot between 1GbE and 10GbE when it comes to switches and APs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Azhais posted:

Mikrotik has The Dude to manage all your devices. Not quite as integrated but it's an option

https://mikrotik.com/thedude

That is quite the interface in those screenshots.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah but for home networking I don’t really expect direct support beyond reset and maybe firmware update access.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can disable the cloud login and auth sync, no?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arson Daily posted:

this may be for a different thread but is there a VPN that doesnt slow the poo poo out of your WAN?

tailscale

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it might also be that your old router was doing PPPOE, and you need to set that up

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NetworkManager is probably what’s underneath, and you can drive that from a CLJ or TUI on a server, if that helps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shumagorath posted:

Gonna go ahead and admit I don't know what either of those are :sweatdrop:

e: second read leads me to think Command Line / Terminal so I guess it’s off to Network Manager’s docs for the night. I haven’t done most of this since ifconfig was the standard, but Netplan is kinda fun and harder to shoot yourself so that’s nice from SSH.

Might have helped if I’d spelled “CLI” correctly, apologies!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shugojin posted:

Definitely just to tick a box if people are blindly searching for a feature of 2.5Gb WAN

Yeah I might have been caught by that, sucky.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agrikk posted:

42U home network

that’s too much, pic please

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rumpus

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What is the Bluetooth used for in the AP22? Management from an app?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

After all the UniFi poo poo I’m loath to go the cloud-admin way, but they otherwise look pretty good for the price…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just run Tailscale on the different devices/VMs I want as end-points, because then I don’t have to worry about addressing overlap when I’m on some hotel network that uses the same RFC1918 choice I do.

Also lets me share individual services/devices with people instead of having to let my kid’s friend onto the whole network so they can join the Minecraft server.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

But they explicitly do collect MAC addresses, IPs, network data, hostnames, headers, wifi mapping vs other networks etc.

Wait, what headers do they collect? Do you mean IP packet headers or HTTP headers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

They're in the section about access an eero "Site" so in theory it's just their websites, where you collect headers to process data. These laws are so ham fisted they make lawyers write "yes we use the normal browser stuff to give you a website" but it also gives companies huge umbrellas to hide under if they don't extremely narrowly scope things in their policies.

Yeah I don’t see how that Site language would let them do anything except maybe request headers when using the admin UI, but even then that would require that they were considered the operator of that device and I don’t think they want that…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

Others might be able to yell back loud enough for you to hear as well, but small children might not be audible.

I think this is a perfectly serviceable analogy, but as a parent lol at the idea of not being able to hear a small child who wants to be heard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a number of devices that will do 10GbE but not SFP, but I guess there are converters…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wibla posted:

10gbe SFP+ cards can be had for $30 on eBay. I do not recommend using 10gbit copper SFP+.

Sure, but I can’t put a card in a Mac mini or a laptop, whereas they can do 10GbE RJ-45 (untested)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“life easier in the future”: run conduit if you can, and a run of pulling line alongside the cable if you can’t, so you can more easily get updated/additional cable along there later

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And to be clear, 6a can push 10 gigabit on a clean, well-terminated run.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wibla posted:

Tailscale takes most of the pain out of that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tailscale is basically a fancy control plane for Wireguard, meaning that you have a fully meshed network instead of hopping through a central server, as well as a pile of management and observability tools. You can share just a single service with someone else, or use Tailscale to ssh into a node based on your Tailscale-auth credentials, or configure subnet relays.

posted while wearing my Tailscale hoodie, but I have no financial interest in it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aware posted:

There's also netbird as a tailscale alternative that offers a self hosted version.

Is that much different from using headscale as the control plane? I guess you’d have to run your own DERP relays too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ryanrs posted:

I'm not sure how good the wireless hardware is (haven't tested it myself). But I kinda don't care for my application. It's providing 2.4 GHz spot coverage for some motion sensors in a garage. Not video, just a binary sensor.

But it is a well-supported Atheros chipset. So at least it should work properly, if not be the latest/fastest. The ethernet ports are only 100M, so you definitely won't be setting any records.

e: They're marked Amazon Renewed, but it's more like liquidating old stock / discontinued product. The units are in perfect retail packaging with cling film in place, etc. They are not used.

And you don't have to do the build-from-source adventure I went through in the other thread. Just install the sysupgrade image from here. You can do this through the as-shipped OEM OpenWRT install.

Alternatively, you can build from source, but it took me literal days to get it working because compiles take so long and I made various mistakes. But it was nice to see that it was possible, and not super hard. Also, I was doing builds on a different under-powered SoC for lols, which slowed things down.

Once you have vanilla OpenWRT running, insert a microSD card and set up Extroot.

I can’t believe that I might be buying more little computers. You utter jerk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh good, they aren’t cheap from Canada

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, I like the UniFi in-wall APs because they’re POE, have 3 gigabit ports (one with POE itself!) and hide in the wall plate. They are not $20 though, that’s for sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shumagorath posted:

Please let me know if this is more of a layer 1/2 thread than higher up. I've made progress on my Network Manager based gateway / firewall, but I can't figure out how to make the VPN fail closed since nmcli treats Wireguard as different from all other VPN types. Am I stuck using OpenVPN or something older so I can designate a secondary object? I tried not having a default route through the main WAN and making routes that only populated when the VPN was up, but that must have been wrong as the connectivity didn't survive a reboot.

Is firewalling done through Network Manager or do I still need iptables?

Just use Tailscale, OP. In the very unlikely case that it doesn’t work, it’ll be because of one of the reasons listed in the detailed, thorough FAQ that explains the cause and the solution.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shumagorath posted:

Will Tailscale connect me to a commercial VPN provider like Nord/Proton/etc? I don’t own the far side of the connection.

It’ll use Mullvad exit nodes via the dashboard config, but I think that’s it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah symmetric is great but makes me really feel like I should back up stuff more aggressively to take advantage of it

slowly, slowly I’m collecting the parts to get my home network to 5Gbit, and then I will get to stare for a long time at the 8Gbit offering from my ISP, hovering over the button