Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Repeaters are always lovely, buy a router with better range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

The_Franz posted:

http://www.ilsistemista.net/index.php/hardware-analysis/17-mikrotik-routerboard-750-gl-review.html?start=2

The 750GL is a great unit, but there is no way you are going to actually do routing/firewall/NAT on a full gigabit connection with it.

It probably hurts that the CPU power has been reduced, the 750G was 680MHz, the GL is 400. I don't think the price has gone down either.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

The_Franz posted:

They weakened the CPU but doubled the RAM, probably to further differentiate it from the 450G. Still, for most cable and DSL connections it has more than enough power for normal use.

CPU power can be a bottleneck even on residential connections if you use it as a VPN server/client or something. I don't know how RAM effects it, but 32MB wasn't a problem on the old model, at least with the current firmware.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Devian666 posted:

The tp-link router is junk and worthless. If you want value look at the op again. There are a number of choices in a wide range of prices.

I set up a TP-Link WR1043ND for my parents, the range is one of the best I've seen out of a cheap DD-WRT router. It's 2.4GHz only, but that's it's only weakness. I've used some TP-Link equipment before, I can say that everything they make is poo poo with the sole exception of that model.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Shaocaholica posted:

Edit: Oh, maybe thats just what I bought (10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up)

http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal/learn/hso/roadrunner/internetplans.html

Time Warner now has a 30/5 plan (in NYC, at least) for $50/month, it isn't listed and you need to call them to find out about it. Considering the base 10/1 plan is $30, the upgrade is definitely well worth the price. They swap out the crap RCA modem for a DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola SBG6580 too.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Binary Badger posted:

If you're new to flashing in general, maybe you might want to stick with the built-in firmware. I see that v.2.1 is pretty new and only recently did a DD-WRT Micro build come out for it (you can't use DD-WRT firmware for v.1.0 or 2.0, you must get the v.2.1 specific build) and from what people are saying on the DD-WRT forums it's still kind of buggy.

I have an E1000 v2.1 running openvpn_small sitting right next to me and I haven't had any issues.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Binary Badger posted:

Looks like he went ahead and flashed the micro version, so it's fine..

You're supposed to use K2.6 builds for any E-series router, and there isn't a micro K2.6 build available. I'm not even sure how he managed to flash it to micro, given the E1000 prefixed builds only come in the K2.6 mini package. I guess the router doesn't check firmware then, in which case he's lucky that he didn't brick it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

londerwost posted:

I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N. It's great when it doesn't drop. Unfortunately it seems to be dropping more and more. At first I thought it was because we have more wireless items like a kindle and ipod touch but it's doing something really weird

I think the G300N(H) and the AG300H are known for dropping issues. If it has DD-WRT you can try the latest svn build here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-14-11-r18007/buffalo_whr_hp_g300n/

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

londerwost posted:

Well, I don't know anything about the custom firmware and I'm not too keen on spending a lot of time learning about it. Just reading the first few steps on flashing seem pretty involved for my level of knowledge.

However, there have been great reviews about the Asus RT-N56U. If this keeps up, I'm thinking of just grabbing one of these. Seems like I should grab one regardless since the G300N was released almost 8 years ago and the Asus would just about quadruple my current rate. Inssider indicates my rate is among the lowest in the neighborhood. :saddowns:

The WHR-HP-G300N isn't anywhere near 8 years old, it has the same wireless hardware as anything else and it's still sold. Anyway, it's a model where Buffalo actually paid DD-WRT for an 'official' port so if you want something with newer wireless drivers, DD-WRT is the way to go. Instructions for flashing are usually written by people with aspergers, you can safely ignore all that noise and just go to the 'firmware upgrade' interface, click browse, select the 'buffalo-to-dd-wrt_webflash-MULTI.bin' file, click upgrade, and wait 5 minutes.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

londerwost posted:

My bad. Amazon lists this router as released in 2004. Probably keeps the old page for each new model.

You might actually be right about that, I thought Buffalo's line of DD-WRT preloaded routers was something that came around the last ~2 years, but apparently the G300N has been around for much longer then that deal.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The E4200 v2 is not DD-WRT compatible and never will be, same for Tomato.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Devian666 posted:

Welp that sucks for high end routers.

Yeah I know. If only the OP was still around so he could update his post and maybe remove all those broken links too.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Devian666 posted:

I'm back at home and can get to work on fixing up the op. If there's anything in particular that's broken tell me about it.

e: One broken link fixed. Every other link works.

E4200 is still there, WRT400N link is out of stock, OpenWRT link goes to a page labeled obsolete, Tomato link goes to a useless page.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

soj89 posted:

Think I'm going to snag one off of Cisco's own site. Good friend can grab me a epp discount. Any risk in going with a refurb?

Also check Cisco's own "homestore" they appear to brand the E4200 and the E4200V2 quite separately - there's even a 20 dollar difference.

The point is that they're putting v2 routers in v1 boxes, so the branding is no indication as to what hardware you'll actually get.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

dxt posted:

I have a linksys e1000 v2 and I was having NAT issues in my and my roommates xboxes so I flashed dd-wrt onto it, enabled UPnP and now the NAT issues are gone, but now whenever I try to play any games online its really laggy, almost unplayable when before there were connection issues, but no lag problems. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Try installing the latest svn build, then reset:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-20-11-r18024/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin

No warranty etc.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
If anything, an E4200 will be slower then a Time Capsule, doesn't matter how old.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Dogen posted:

less favorable throughput on wireless

Are you sure about that?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I have a Motorola SBG6580 with firmware 3.3.0 which was given to me by Road Runner when I upgraded my service. It's a total piece of poo poo and reboots itself over and over when I saturate the upload, support can't figure it out, they replaced it and it still happens. This model apparently has firmware issues all over so I want to replace it with my own DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I don't care about price and it needs to be able to operate as a bridge. Any suggestions?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I was looking at the SB6120 too, that was my old modem with Cablevision and I never, ever had issues with it, then I moved to a Road Runner area and the SBG6580 they gave me crashes hourly. I just can't figure out if I'm allowed to use my own modem, every time I call support I get a different answer.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Inspector_71 posted:

EDIT: Also the lack of MikroTik routers with multiple LAN ports and wifi makes that pretty much a non-starter.

Take a look at the RB751G-2HnD.

If your requirements include "more RAM", MikroTik has at least one router with an SODIMM slot.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Nighthand posted:

My ISP is Charter, my modem is a SB5101 Surfboard, and my router is a Linksys WRT400N with "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std"

The last properly functioning DD-WRT build for the WRT400N is this one right here, it's a bit newer and might solve some issues, but it also might break it completely.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Bucket Joneses posted:

1) Change the WAN Connection Type to use PPTP

2) Go to Services > OpenVPN and enable it as a service there

1) Not what you're looking for.

2) Whether or not this will work depends on the VPN provider having a configuration that works with the DD-WRT GUI.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
With a lot of newer routers, the open source firmwares (DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT) use older, less functional wireless drivers that don't perform as well as the stock ones. DD-WRT has a lot of extra issues too because most ports are done by community members, any work involved is a one-shot deal, and as problems surface later, nobody takes responsibility. Tomato (and Tomato spinoffs) focus on a narrower range of devices like the E2000/E3000/E4200v1 and those are at least stable.

I personally wouldn't touch any router not made by either Apple or MikroTik these days, everything else is garbage.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Some VPN providers will assign you a publicly routable IP address, which might help BitTorrent a lot, specifically if you haven't configured port forwarding or UPNP on your regular connection. If that's the case then it has nothing to do with throttling.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm selling eight (yes, eight total) DD-WRT/OpenWRT compatible TP-Link routers in SA-Mart for $15/each shipped, and an 802.11n Airport Extreme for $80, in case anyone is interested.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Heresiarch posted:

Can you put TomatoUSB on these?

No, I don't think so.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The very original testing build for the E2500 *might* throw the router into a reboot loop, that was fixed and you can download a version which works properly, albeit still without 5GHz support. DD-WRT is just a total disaster and nobody cares about the documentation.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The E3000 in particular is basically defective and that should probably be noted. Other Linksys products do have poor cooling, but the E3000 is basically unusable for some people.

Also, the WRT400N is long gone (even the OP link is out of stock) and the E1000 has been replaced by the E900 and E1200. Both run DD-WRT.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Old versions of DD-WRT have issues with the nvram space slowly filling up because of bugs or whatever, once it fills up completely it will reset (or break), so the solution would be to use a newer build. That might be the issue, but DD-WRT sometimes just does things for no reason because it's lovely.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Any particular reason you think that?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Naffer posted:

I was really thinking about buying the E3000 because it's a pretty nice router for the price. Is it worth buying and mounting it vertically or installing a little fan near it?

No, it really isn't, and you can buy a refurbished E3200 for less money now. I think the price of the old one is inflated because of the TomatoUSB crowd. DD-WRT lacks 5GHz support with the E3200, but the stock firmware is probably going to be better anyway at this point, unless you have a specific need for something that only a replacement firmware offers.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
It would be nice if you could update the OP with the suggestions that Devian666 promised to add from before, I'd remind him directly but he'd just use it as an excuse to casually mention how exhausted he is from <task> at <cool job>.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Only install DD-WRT if you have something really specific that you want out of it. This is 2012, the stock firmware is fine and probably has better support for IPv6 then community-made firmwares, especially in the case of new Linksys models.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
E2000 was replaced with the E2500, and E3000 has been replaced with the E3200. Both have simultaneous dual band, E3200 adds gigabit and USB. You can already get a refurbished E3200 for $65!

Both now have DD-WRT support, and the dual-band on the new wireless chip is supported in SVN builds as of yesterday.

Edit: And Google shows me something that I thought I'd never see: full experimental E-series support from TomatoUSB. Includes builds for E900, E1200 v1/2, E1500, E1550, E2500, and E3200.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 7, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Nostrum posted:

I just upgraded to Time Warner's Wideband (50/5) internet, and it comes with a Surfboard SGB6580 integrated unit. It lasted 1 day because it was constantly resetting, it couldn't maintain a connection for more than 5 minutes. I took it back and forced them to give me a plain DOCSIS 3 modem (a Motorola SB6141) and it's been working perfectly ever since. Solid speeds and absolutely zero issues with my Netgear 3700.

I have the same problem, same model in bridge mode on RoadRunner/TWC, but they refuse to replace it with anything but the exact same Motorola piece of poo poo. It's a firmware issue that effects users on other ISPs too. I'm fighting for them to allow me to install my own modem (apparently not allowed in my market?). Thottling the upstream seems to help a lot and that's how I've been using it for a while now.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Most service reps I've talked to don't even know that installing your own modem exists anywhere. In my market the modem+installation is free so nobody ever asks about it. That being said, I still don't understand why I get contradicting answers, someone (or everyone) is just making poo poo up. I might give it a try but I still think I need to activate the modem over the phone.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Work bought me an E3200 to mess around with.

The stock firmware (1.0.04) is marketed as 'IPv6 ready'. It's enabled by default with an 'automatic' mode that worked with my DHCPv6-PD test without any configuration. It's the first time I've seen IPv6 support that well integrated on a home router.

TomatoUSB/Shibby has broken DHCPv6-PD, and DD-WRT lacks it completely :(

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Why are you using a port range forward for a single port?

Edit: Oh.

Edit The Second: Post the router model and maybe we can suggest a newer DD-WRT version for you to try!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The DIR-615 has a bunch of different hardware versions, which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Then this would be the latest SVN build:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/dlink-dir615e1/dir615e1-firmware.bin

They don't test individual models very well with each compile though so it could very well introduce worse issues or just break it completely. You don't need to 30/30/30, just check 'reset after flashing' on the upgrade page.