Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

fallenturtle posted:

Related: Is the E3200, which seems to be discontinued but still available, still suggested over the EA2700 or EA3500 (I don't care about USB ports)?

The E3200 isn't discontinued (from what I know). The EA-series routers are just Cisco's 'App Enabled' models, and those are listed as flagship devices on the Linksys website.

Would be bad news if the E3200 really was being replaced, since the EA3500 will never have 3rd party firmware support (Marvell chipset).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
TomatoUSB doesn't have support for the 5GHz band with the E3200.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The stock firmware on that router is better then most alternatives, imho. Just update it to the latest version from the Linksys site.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
They probably thought they were leapfrogging Apple's whole Airport Utility thing, and the 'Cloud Router' concept didn't seem too terrible, it's tragic that they're screwing it up so badly. What with the whole forcing the update on people and the terrifying licensing terms. They have product ADHD though, they probably ordered a billion E3200s and now all those are ending up cheap refurbs after spending like a week as part of the primary lineup.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
All it is, is a few utilities on the router (like a webcam viewer) which you can then view from an iPhone app. You can't install 3rd party applications. They're literally just trying to hit as many buzzwords as possible ("apps", "cloud") with the least amount of effort and, oh yeah, it will log your web browsing and send it to Cisco.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
DD-WRT supports both bands with the E3200.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I use TomatoUSB on mine, but I know you need DD-WRT r19327 or up for dual-band support with that new chipset on E3200/E2500:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Nope! I only have mine as a test unit for work and I already have a non-simultaneous 5GHz router (my beloved Airport Extreme).

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Porkchop Express posted:

If you want an all in one solution, the Motorola Surfboard Gateway is pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURF...orola+surfboard

These things have terrible firmware stability issues, even in bridge mode. Google "SBG6580 dropping" or "SBG6580 rebooting". I've been trying to get rid of mine for a while.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I get what you're saying, but that modem actually has specific, well-documented problems. Before that I used a SB6120 which was perfectly fine and had uptimes that spanned months.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The ICSI Netalyzr will give you a bit more information, like actually confirm the problem exists and tell you where the bottleneck is.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Red_Mage posted:

The netalyzer says no problem exists (aside from certain ports/protocols being blocked which is by design). Weird. This first came up because some game wanted me to set a MTU, and 1500 wasn't working, so I used the test to get one that did (1454).

It may see the low MTU but not detect a problem, just make sure you read into the results. It'll tell you where the bottleneck is regardless.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Antillie posted:

Unless you need some specific advanced feature that only 3rd party firmware offers the answer is generally no. Stock firmware has come a long way in the past 5+ years and most 3rd party firmware distributions have stagnated to varying degrees. Most people just don't need the things that 3rd party firmware can offer over stock.

I've been lurking this thread for a while since I was planning on replacing my E4200v1 with something that can handle TWC MAXX. The E4200 with TomatoUSB maxed out at ~160Mbit (~200Mbit w/ BCM_NAT) WAN <-> LAN and couldn't get wireless speeds above ~100Mbit. After restoring the stock firmware though, I'm getting ~330Mbit WAN <-> LAN and I've seen wireless speeds as fast as ~250Mbit. It'd probably be even better if the spectrum wasn't so congested where I am (iperf3 speed tests, average rate over two minutes, so the wireless isn't that consistent, but still).

Possibly the CTF in the stock firmware performs much, much better than the BCM_NAT module in Tomato. And the wireless... no idea. Newer drivers? Better managed settings? I've been running it for a week with no problems. It even has native IPv6 support for TWC, that was my previous dealbreaker for stock firmware (needed 6in4).

I tried an EA6500 anyway and not only was the wireless performance terrible, but the newest stock firmware has a absurd, well known, long standing bug that prevents login to the admin page. So stock firmware can still suck. But it also gave my four year old router a few extra years at least.