Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Devian666 posted:

spectrum pic

Did you change the name of your neighbour's wireless network? I hope you did, because that rules. Alternatively, it could be your neighbour providing the area with a PSA about router security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Mr Man posted:

I had a tompson router like his, and seriously no, switching off everything but the modem functions wont let the modem handle anything...

This sentence doesn't make any sense to me. Could you please explain what you mean?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

It's working now for some reason :shobon:

So when I suggested the thread title, this is what I meant. Things work or don't work or fluctuate between the two for apparently no reason.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

londerwost posted:

What does it mean? :confused:

The bad kind of wireless magic appears to be happening. See if not using the new laptop helps things at all.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

eightysixed posted:

How long, approximately, will it take to move 1.5TB of data over a regular, wired network?

That depends on a lot of things. If you have gigabit ethernet and it's a home network type deal, then you could probably looking somewhere in the 500-900 Mbps throughput range. Thus it would take between approximately 4 and 7 hours to transfer 1.5TB. If it's only 100 Mb, it would take about 8-10 times that long. This assumes that you're not reading/writing from/to a USB (2.0) drive which have worse throughout than a good gigabit network.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Ah. 4 hours is alright, 7 is a bit extreme, only because the data has to be moved back over. It's a Linksys E2000, so it's Gigabit.

Any idea on how much time it would cut off if I threw another 2TB hard drive into the rig, and transferred SATA -> SATA?

That would be faster. Depending upon the quality of the drives involved, up to about twice as fast (unless you have some really incredible hardware), so 2 hours. But, if your drives aren't that great, it might be closer to 4 hours.

Smokey, if you don't have Dropbox set up, you could try https://www.yousendit.com/.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

JDRockefeller posted:

Cable modem issues

Very important: do you know the difference between Mb (megabits) and MB (megabytes)?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Ramadu posted:

So, since I am pretty much computer illiterate when it comes to networking and the title really does seem apt, can someone explain to me why i have to reset my router and modem what feels like an increasingly frequent number of times in order to get my internet running at what should be a normal faster speed?

The thread title says it all. Although, you may have a lovely modem and/or router. You should make sure that you're running the latest firmware for your router (in theory this is also true for your modem, but things are much more murky).

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Well the router is 4 years old now and is still at the default firmware. My roomate is an idiot and tried to log into the wireless network and ended up changing the login to the router so i have no way to get into it. The modem is also either 8 or 9 years old. I expect maybe its time to get new ones. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much new cable modems from Cox cost?

I can't help with modems. In terms of your router, you can do a hard reset (down the little button on the back with a paperclip/pen) which will turn it back to factory default settings. You'll have to re-input all your settings, but it'll give you access again (including the ability to update the firmware).

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

Picked up a WNDR3700 off amazon and got V3 :( so I guess I'm hosed for DD-WRT or any other third party firmware.

e: would it be worth going to a local best buy to try to find a v2 and returning this to amazon?

The stock firmware on the 3700 is pretty good actually. I'd only flash it if there are some things you want to be able to change, but can't normally. This will probably not be an issue, though.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Any helpful thoughts?

So many things could be going wrong, but I'd start by making sure you have the latest firmware installed. You can find that out by heading over to D-Link's support page for your router.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

It's running v8.00, but there's apparently a v8.01 out. I'll give that a shot.

In the meantime, are there any obvious things to try if that doesn't help? Could we be booting each other off when it's assigning IPs, for example? Assume that I'm a total mongoloid when it comes to this stuff, because I basically am.

One thing to note, always use a wired connection when updating firmware.

The obvious things to try are unplugging everything and plugging back in as well as checking if you have any devices (microwave, cordless phone, etc.) that might be causing interference (check if your drops are associated with the use of such devices). Another thing you can try if you have a bunch of networks in your area is to download this and then change to a channel where the interference is smallest. (Wherever you access the advanced wireless settings on your router, there should be an option to change the channel.)

If none of this works you can try installing the custom firmware DD-WRT. The process will sound a little intimidating and you could totally brick your router, but the next recommended step after this is to buy a new router, so you might as well try.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

I'll give the channel switching a try. I'm almost positive the problem is due to it being set up incorrectly, but I suppose its firmware could be total poo poo compared to the old one's even though it's the same brand.

Was my earlier IP assignment hypothesis impossible, by the way?

I can't imagine what about it being set up incorrectly would have the symptoms you're describing. However, lovely routers or lovely firmware frequently have these symptoms. For example, one thing that could be going on is that your router is overheating or just having trouble under load. Wireless networking is incredibly fickle, which is the inspiration for the thread title.

Your IP hypothesis is unlikely, since the whole purpose of the router is that it handles that stuff nicely. You could also try putting it back to basically default settings (no password on wireless, no MAC filtering, etc.), but it probably won't work.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Bad connection to your computer.

There is a very reasonable chance that your Ethernet card is busted. You might consider getting a new one.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

I didn't see an option for AP in the setup and there's no DD-WRT version for the H1 yet, but I'll try googling a bit.

Will they show up as different connections?

Here's what your router's manual has to say on the topic

dlink posted:

If you are connecting the D-Link router to another router to use as a wireless access point and/or switch, you will have to do the following before connecting the router to your network:
• Disable UPnP
• Disable DHCP
• Change the LAN IP address to an available address on your network. The LAN ports on the router cannot accept a DHCP address from your other router.

To connect to another router, please follow the steps below:

1. Plug the power into the router. Connect one of your computers to the router (LAN port) using an Ethernet cable. Make sure your IP address on the computer is 192.168.0.xxx (where xxx is between 2 and 254). Please see the Networking Basics section for more information. If you need to change the settings, write down your existing settings before making any changes. In most cases, your computer should be set to receive an IP address automatically in which case you will not have to do anything to your computer.

2. Open a web browser and enter http://192.168.0.1 and press Enter. When the login window appears, set the user name to Admin and leave the password box empty. Click Log In to continue.

3. Click on Advanced and then click Advanced Network. Uncheck the Enable UPnP checkbox. Click Save Settings to continue.

4. Click Setup and then click Network Settings. Uncheck the Enable DHCP Server server checkbox. Click Save Settings to continue.

5. Under Router Settings, enter an available IP address and the subnet mask of your network. Click Save Settings to save your settings. Use this new IP address to access the configuration utility of the router in the future. Close the browser and change your computer’s IP settings back to the original values as in Step 1.

6. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router and reconnect your computer to your network.

7. Connect an Ethernet cable in one of the LAN ports of the router and connect it to your other router. Do not plug anything into the Internet port of the D-Link router.

8. You may now use the other 3 LAN ports to connect other Ethernet devices and computers. To configure your wireless network, open a web browser and enter the IP address you assigned to the router. Refer to the Configuration and Wireless Security sections for more information on setting up your wireless network.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Golbez posted:

Update: Since plugging my router back into the modem, it seemed fine for a couple of days, but now it's fallen back into its pattern of disconnecting me. :sigh:

I had very similar issues a little while ago and it turned out to be a network issue upstream of the ISP. You should definitely contact your ISP immediately, since it's either your modem or a network issue on their end.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I did this and switched to a much less congested channel, but it didn't seem to affect transfer rates any

Do you have any way to test wired transfer speeds? If they are fine, it's possible you have a bad wireless card involved in the mix.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Wired transfer speeds are absolutely fine, and I'm having the slow wireless issue on both my laptop and my ipad. The machine I'm transferring the files from has a wired connection to the router so it's not at that end either.

Yeah, I'd try installing third-party firmware and your router and see where that gets you.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Is the 2.4 GHz spectrum congested at all?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Devian666 posted:

It's very likely to be congested. 5 Ghz is the luxury band that no one else uses so you get full speed. Please refer to the links in the op for inSSIDer or the android app (there'll be an iphone app somewhere as well).

Sorry, that was actually a reply to poxin, not a general question.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Roving Reporter posted:

Ever since installing the gimped version of DD-WRT on my WRT54G2, my wireless has been flaky, to say the least. It's been going in and out every so often and hasn't been that reliable.

I've read that the quality of the DD-WRT builds vary each revision depending on who makes them and whatnot. Are there any routers out there(besides the Airport Extreme) who have reliable/awesome stock firmware?

I've heard good things about tomato vs DD-WRT but I'd rather not purchase a router, flash it and be left with another unstable firmware.

I'm running the WNDR 3700 and it's stock firmware is pretty good (my unit's been incredibly stable). I'm pretty sure Devian has said something similar in the past too. I got mine refurbished for under $100.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

I have a 4th generation Airport Extreme and my family does a lot of streaming. Im not savvy enough to figure out if getting something like the RT-N16 would be noteable difference.

I guess what I am asking is if there is something out there worth upgrading from the old 4G Airport Extreme.

Are you experiencing any performance issues with your current router (e.g. streams buffering)? Also when you say streaming, do you mean of online media, or stuff within your local network?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

PC running XP 32-bit. Thing is, it worked flawlessly when I first hooked it up, now I can't pull any data through even though the signal strength is good.

Can I set up the DIR-615 as a bridge somehow?

Can the PC access the router page? If not, does the router respond to pings from the PC?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

I've been having a weird problem - at my house we switched to Time Warner and were given a cgd24g cable modem with wi-fi built in. On a PC it works fine, but the Macs, and to a lesser extent my roku, have been having problems resolving pages and have drop outs where it just won't work at all. Speed tests show it being fine, but there's sometimes problems getting to those pages. I logged into the modem and everything looks fine, but obviously something's up. All 3 Macs have had this problem.

The router built in to your modem sucks. You're probably going to need to buy a stand-alone router and find a way to off the routing capabilities of your modem. You might also be able to get them to swap out your modem for a new unit, but there's a decent chance that still won't work.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I posted about my router restarting on its own earlier, and it's still going. It probably restarts once every hour or so. Is this a stupid question or something? I have no idea why it's doing this. I've had it for months with no problems and 2 weeks ago it decides to poo poo itself. The only major change is that I started playing a lot of Runescape. That's it. It's a Linksys E4200. The network mode is set to mixed wireless n and g because my ipad doesn't seem to like extended wireless n signal from a network repeater. Any ideas?

It may be an overheating issue. Next time your router resets, touch it and see if it seems hot. I think there are some easy to find guides about drilling holes and other methods to prevent Linksys routers from overheating. If that's not the issue, then your router may be fried. You can try installing 3rd party firmware (e.g. Tomato USB), but I'm not sure if your router is supported.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

MMD3 posted:

anddddd.... right after posting this my connection dropped out and then reestablished a few minutes later so definitely seems like there is a conflict going on.

Change the settings on your G router to assign 192.168.1.2 to the MAC address of your new router. Hopefully that helps out a little.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

MMD3 posted:

how do I determine the MAC address if it doesn't show up under attached devices? (probably a dumb question)

You have a few different options, but I think your should be able to find it printed somewhere on the router or the box it came in. If this fails, you can unplug it from the other router and then reset it. Then you should be able to connect to it directly (it should either be at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2).

E: Since DHCP is off you may have to set a manual IP address on the connecting device (something like 192.168.1.3 should work)

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Thanks, I'll give this a shot when I get home, hadn't thought about disconnecting it from the DHCP router and resetting it.

I have my DHCP router set to hand out addresses from range 192.168.1.3 - ?

Is it recommended that you manually assign IP addresses to all of the devices you have connecting to a Wireless router? In my case it'd be like my PC, my iPhone, my iPad... any reason you wouldn't just let it assign them automatically?

Automatic assignment is fine unless you need specific devices on specific addresses for some reason. For example sometimes when file sharing gets messed up you can't connect using a device name, but it works fine using the IP address. This works better if the machine always has the same IP address and you don't need to look it up.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Italy's Chicken posted:

How can I find a router that does 2.4hgz N? It seems every router now does mix-mode, but that usually means G in 2.4 and N in 5. I'm trying to get higher speed through a concrete rebar wall.

All of the dual-band routers, unless I'm mistaken, do N on 2.4 GHz. Which is to say you can set them to N-only, although their default is a mixed-mode which includes G and N (where N devices suffer some performance impact).

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

Only thing in the event log is that Microsoft "does this connection have internet access" check.

What do the DHCP timeout settings on your router look like?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Revitalized posted:

I believe it is a D-Link DGL-4300 (Gamer Lounge series). Firmware 1.7

Also a quick correction in my initial post: The connection doesn't always stop as long as it's ringing. Sometimes it resumes after the first ring or two, but sometimes it can last as long as the entire ringing duration. I'm guessing the length of the internet dropout is unrelated. Just that the moment it rings, my internet connection drops.

I think you should talk to your phone company's tech support about this and see if they have any advice.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

PK-Fire posted:

I'm running out of ideas for what to with my wireless situation, any help would be appreciated.

I would definitely try to see if Apple will swap out your unit, since the refurbs come with a one-year warranty. That being said, I'm not sure how much this will help your situation as the 5 GHz band tends to have worse range than 2.4 GHz. You might as well try flashing your WRT54G with DD-WRT and seeing what you can do. You can also try to set it up as a wireless repeater (don't expect great speeds from this though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Devian666 posted:

In the smallnetbuilder review the R6300 only achieved 10-11 MB/s throughput which is nowhere near capping out USB 2.0. WAN to LAN speeds are another thing. It can cope with 800 Mbit/s throughput which is as good as any domestic fibre router can achieve.

I would be very wary of the smallnetbuilder reviews' throughput numbers, since they don't seem to be methodologically sound. This is actually true with hardware reviews in general, since they tend to test a single unit! Especially with routers, there seems to be a fair bit of variance between units. Further, the hardware doing the tested might work better or worse with different routers. I would be pretty surprised if they tested 10 different units and got the same throughput results for each one.