Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Sten Freak posted:

For desktop computers is USB or PCI card the way to go for a wireless adapter? In my case I'm pretty sure my current USB card isn't 2.0 so if I went USB I'd need to upgrade the USB card too. I just don't know if there's anything else to consider.

How old is your computer? USB 2.0 was released in 2000/2001 and became standard equipment shortly thereafter. Anything pentium4 or newer should have USB 2.0, and if you're running anything older, throw it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Sten Freak posted:

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question.

Well, it matters if you wanted an answer.

As in, if you did in fact need to buy a usb controller card, it would make sense to go ahead and get a pci wireless adapter. If you didn't, the answer would be something along the lines of there's no real difference between the two.

Unless windows has a dialogue box when you plug in a USB 2.0 device saying it could be faster if it was plugged into a USB 2.0 capable port, you have USB 2.0. If it does do that, you probably still have USB 2.0, but don't have the correct drivers installed. In either case, I was trying to collect more information to help.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 18, 2012

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

RME posted:

edit: Like I remember reading something about a repeater bridge and maybe this is a better approach than a repeater?

The repeater-bridge option just means that all the devices will be on the same subnet, which is almost certainly what you want (if you want the xbox and ps3 to show up to other devices on the other router). There's no other difference in performance or anything like that.

Personally, I would try to keep your setup mostly as is. Are you using the stock Linksys antennas? If you upgrade them or get some directional antennas (one on each GL, pointing at each other), it will give you better performance. By setting up one as a repeater, you not only add two wireless devices (the ps3 and xbox), but you immediately halve throughput of the entire network (This happens whenever you add a repeater to a network.).

So, to put it simply; Repeater-bridge would work, and would utilize all existing equipment as-is (ie: zero cost solution)
Upgrading antennas would be better, performance wise, but obviously not zero-cost.

RME posted:

It definitely is, but they're what I have to work with. And halving bandwith sounds pretty unappealing, but is there not a better solution?
Also, this is always the solution to wireless issues:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=bulk+cat6&x=0&y=0

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

RME posted:

I don't think anyone would enjoy having a 1000ft Ethernet cable running through their house though. The routers are using stock antennas, how expensive would upgrading those be?

The official linksys upgrade is about $15-$20 shipped on ebay (Search for HGA7T ). Aftermarket ones are cheaper. When that series of router was more popular, you had a bunch more options as far as directional antennas go, but I bet if you got a set of the antennas, shove one on each router, you'd get decent performance.

Push comes to shove, directional antennas are about 30-40 bucks a piece. I don't know how big your house is, but these shouldn't be necessary unless its huge.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 30, 2012

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Binary Badger posted:

Probably more like the SB6121, it's a smidge faster than the SurfBoard EXtreme 6120.

Citation? I only ask because the last number in Motorola devices have always been revisions, with no meaningful spec changes.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Space Gopher posted:

You don't need dual-band unless you actually want to operate on the 5 GHz band. 802.11n devices can run at their full speed - and get better range - in 2.4, and you won't see much of a speed penalty by mixing in a few legacy 802.11g devices. Moving to 5 GHz is helpful if you live in a high-density area with congestion on the 2.4 GHz band, and it can be useful if you have devices on both ends that support channel bonding and need tons of spectrum for it, but it's not necessary for full speed 802.11n operation.

If you add a single G device to an N network, it makes the entire network run G.
Example: You have three laptops running on N. Your friend comes over with his G only laptop, you let him join the network, bam, all four laptops are running on G.

This is wrong. See below.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 3, 2012

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Frozen-Solid posted:

It didn't help.

The computer that it affects the most is my laptop, and I don't want to static IP it because then I have to change it back to DHCP any time I go somewhere.

http://samanathon.com/reset-your-ip-address-via-batch-file/
Try this.

EDIT: That may not work with Windows 7, I think.

This thread discusses it in a bit of detail. May need to change ip to ipv4
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72308

Triikan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 22, 2012

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

lazydog posted:

What model printer is it? Often you can get them to print a status page with the IP address on it.

Usually you hold the power button until it starts printing.

Model will help. If it has wireless, it may not connect to a wired network out of the box. My Brother would only connect to a wired account after I connected to its device-to-device network and change its settings through that interface.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I was just curious if anybody has used the monoprice CAT6 keystone jacks? I just can't imagine that they aren't total poo poo when a good keystone jack is like $7 or whatever.

I've used a couple dozen monoprice keystone jacks (though I bought the 5e ones) with no incident.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

wormil posted:

Setup:
Internet > cable modem > DIR-655 > WRT54GL running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) min set up as repeater bridge

I followed the directions here:
http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range+boosting-wi+fi-repeater#config

It's working great and has extended my wifi range considerably but I have two questions:
1) The above directions put the repeater bridge on a different subnet. Now, how do I log into the router?

2) Testing with a wi-fi analyzer, the WRT54GL is broadcasting much, much stronger than the DIR-655. Could it be because ddwrt allows me to set the broadcast power of the WRT54GL to it's maximum (251) or something else? Both are set for 802.11 b & g.

Turn off DHCP on the secondary router, and set the secondary router to an ip outside the assignment range of the primary router (I use 192.168.1.2).
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I have some of those... I use them to fix casings of the (somewhat) newer G models.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

kaschei posted:

I have an old WRT54GL running openwrt kamikaze.

Recently a power surge took out the LAN port of both my cable modem and the WAN port of my router. I can connect to every other port and the router works fine, but connections through the WAN port just aren't seen. I had to replace my modem.

Bizarrely, if I plug my new modem into one of the other LAN slots, I get a weird semi-connection; about 1 in 5 pings to 8.8.8.8 are completed, with normal latency. I was expecting it to either work or not. I'm positive that it's possible to connect this somehow through LAN and get a normal network connection, but I think it will have to be some configuration I've never used before. I'd really like to get wireless back without buying a new router, can someone point me the way?

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=16148
This forum post exactly describes your situation (even down to the cause).

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Is most any router capable of routing a gigabit internet connection? Getting gigabit fiber through ATT and wondering if I'll need to upgrade my e4200 (running DD-WRT) now or if I can wait until I get more AC capable devices.

I'm only talking wired performance, btw. Will my old rear end router need replacing? I'll be getting some sort of router device from ATT, so I can always go with it for now, but I'm guessing its going to be subpar piece of equipment, if my past experience with them holds true.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 30, 2016

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I know the correct way to do this is with a couple of Ubiquiti products or something, but what is the cheapest way to get a directional connection between two houses with consumer routers? The WRT54g routers I gave my parents years ago are failing, and I'd like to get them up to at least N. Distance isn't that much, and the routers are both in windows.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know now much cheaper you’ll get than $45 each for Nanostation LOCO M2s.

Do I need to order PoE injectors separately or do they come with them?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
A Ubiquiti Dream Machine would render my Edgerouter X completely unnecessary, right?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Does anybody else just keep adding routers in front of their old routers?

Trying to get away from the habit, but my wife is addicted to IoT and generally freaks out when her she tries to use a phone that hasn't been turned on in five years, and :effort: moving stuff over to new routers, but I just took inventory, and I have a total of 6 routers crapping up the spectrum. This is shameful, obviously. The one handling the most devices is actually the oldest, a Linksys E4200. I think I'm going to use a Motorola mesh network that I got on sale for most of the non-performance stuff, and then a couple newish performance routers as access points for our laptops. Sticking with my EdgerouterX for actual routing; its been solid for several years, even though I think its holding back my internet a bit.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just use the same SSID and password when you switch router?

Yeah, but then I have to not use new funny names when I set a new router up.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Wibla posted:

Just reuse the SSID and password? Running 6 routers is pure madness, you need to clean that poo poo up.

I am happy to report that I have removed both N routers, so we are down to four. I may shut down one more, but the four remaining are pretty spread out.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
What's a good go to for a rack mounted router that can handle 2 gigabit internet? I'm not invested into any ecosystems.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Yeah that's all basically e waste. I still have a box full of wrt54 routers, but that's just mental illness nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Just replace your privacy fence with a fine copper mesh. Easy peasy.

Alternatively, repaint your house with lead paint.