Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
At&t fiber skipped my side of the street for no discernable reason so I'm stuck with crazy asymmetrical 300/10 speeds from spectrum. I'd give up 100 down for 10 more up. It's loving brutal. The worst part is I pay them the same for that as AT&T charges for symmetrical gigabit service. :negative:

I hope Spectrum offers some symmetrical plans for a reasonable price. I'd jump on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm really hoping ubiquiti refreshes their product line soon because for trying to appeal to the prosumer crowd they are falling way behind in their offerings at each price point.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ubiquiti just released a UXG Max with 4 2.5gb lan ports and 1 2.5gb wan port. Pretty much exactly the product I wanted as I already have a cloud key, and only have 2 2.5gb computers and sub-gigabit Internet service.

https://techspecs.ui.com/unifi/cloud-keys-gateways/uxg-max?mc_cid=761b665d3e&mc_eid=34dd846cce

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Shugojin posted:

https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-cloud-keys-gateways/products/uxg-max

$200

Also not awful pricing I think. Still only up to 1.5gbps routing IPS but :shrug:

e: lmao $29/month for Official UniFi Hosting with their recent security history on that NO THANK YOU

I'm a bit of a novice with some networking stuff, but am I correct in that the IPS/IDS limit is only for WAN traffic? Will the LAN ports be able to transfer at the full 2.5Gbps? It's not a deal breaker for me either way, but an absolute non-factor if it only affects the WAN.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There's a goon in SA Mart selling a U6 Mesh for $125 if that fits your needs.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Went to a local businesses estate sale as they're shutting down and noticed they had Ubiquiti cameras.

Well a little talking later and I own a UDM Pro and NVR for $350. The NVR has four 6TB Western Union purple drives. :getin:

e: Two of the HDDs have bad sectors :argh:

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 29, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arson Daily posted:

I just got an email from spectrum saying that my connection was now symmetrical and lo and behold it is. Now I can at least stop pining for a fiber connection for a while I guess.

Where do you live? I'm hoping Spectrum can get me symmetrical service since At&t fiber skipped my side of the street.

E: I called Spectrum and they have an ETA for my corner of the DFW area of 5/21 :toot:

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 29, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyks posted:

By far the easiest solution is to buy a wireless network card for your desktop computer. Unless there is some reason that isn’t an option (like the computer is owned by your employer).

A USB wireless adapter is probably the best solution. Opening up their desktop to install a PCIE card might be more than what OP is comfortable tacking. If OP is okay installing cards in their system then I agree, a PCIE wireless card is the way to go.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Valiantman posted:

I've installed some hard drives and extra RAM in the past so I guess it wouldn't be impossible. I think the power source is in full use at the moment, though.

E: the router seems to be ZTE MF296R

By "Power source in full use" do you mean there are no available cords/plugs? If so, the good news is that a wireless card will draw all the power it needs from the motherboard slot you plug it into. As long as you have a spare PCIE slot available it will work. If you're not aware, any PCIE slot should work, even if it's a longer one than the card. So if you had a full size 16x slot for a GPU available, a 1x PCIE card can be inserted into it and will work correctly.

My personal preference is ASUS wireless cards. I've had a few over the years and they've worked for me, and I like that they include Bluetooth. But I'm sure all the major brands are basically identical in experience, and possibly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PCE-AC5...117&sr=8-6&th=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just a heads up, I'm selling some networking gear in SA Mart if anyone is interested:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060614