Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

CrazyLittle posted:

1) Move your media server next to the modem/router/switch. Do this regardless of the other steps. Servers should be a the center of your network, not on the edge. If your media server is too big/ugly/bulky, get a better one.
2) Disable wifi on the fritzbox. If it doesn't support 5ghz, it's not even worth entertaining leaving it around. Get proper APs or a wifi mesh product (google wifi etc) that actually supports a proper back channel separate from the client-facing channels.
3) Don't use wireless bridges or "wifi extenders" if you absolutely can avoid them.

I've got 3 drops in the apartment, one next to the TV that I've got the ps4 and other things going into via a gigabit switch. The other two are in the bedrooms so putting the media server in there isn't much of an option (and there's no place near the TV). The landlord said I can have additional drops installed but must be removed when I leave (apartment must be in original condition) so that's out.

The fritzbox is super lovely and I'd toss it out if I could but for the time being I'm stuck with it (fiber is coming to my neighborhood and I'm switching as soon as it's available). The wireless bridge is being done with an Archer C7 router that I was using previously as the central hub.

I've got my desktop plugged into the C7 so 90% of the time I'm accessing the data on the media server over LAN (primarily photo editing/design work). The other use is Plex which typically isn't much of an issue.

I've been toying with doing the following:

1) Move C7 to one of the drops and use it for Wifi
2) Turn off Wifi on fritzbox
3) Run a ridiculously long LAN cable from C7 to gigabit switch for desktop/media server (pretty much opposite end of apartment).

I've also been seriously considering wifi mesh but the options I've looked at are over €200 and I'm not quite ready to drop that much.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

Synology 4-disk boxes are nearly silent except for the drives themselves.

Have you considered using the coaxial cable as a network run using MoCA?

There's only one connection in the apartment so MoCA isn't really an option (I was considering powerline ethernet but apparently that comes with it's own problems) . It's also a custom built media server I'm not planning to replace anytime soon.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

H2SO4 posted:

Unless you have excessively lovely wiring, new powerline gear is generally better than making GBS threads up the wireless spectrum with repeaters.

Fortunately this apartment was built right before we moved in so the wiring should be solid, are there specific kits I should consider or are all major brands pretty solid?

I dug through the settings on the C7 and NAT was enabled, after turning it off speeds increased to 10MBps but the 5Ghz network doesn't connect anymore (which makes sense I guess but sucks as now I gotta use the 2.5Ghz for everything) .

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Rexxed posted:

He's using it as a bridge so it doesn't need NAT, it's just acting as a switch and WAP plus wireless uplink.

Pretty much this. Diagrams are fun so this is a lovely mockup of the setup:

Network1 is configured to bridge with Network2 but I have my laptop connected to Network1 so that the data transfer to the media server doesn't go over the bridge.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you do a transfer from your laptop to the media PC and turn off the Shitbox, does it break?

As long as it's connected to Network1 and has an IP address, no. Shitbox is handling DHCP so everything goes to hell in a hand basket if it stops working. DNS is pointed to the media server (with secondary being shitbox) as I'm doing some internal DNS voodoo for plex.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

It currently tops out at 10MBps, I'll need to test from the desktop when I get home now that NAT is disabled (previously I was experiencing an annoying issue where the whole network slowed down when I was doing huge transfers) to see what sort of speed I get.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

WDS bridge? Is that really how you have it set up? Isn't WDS the old school and lovely method of extending wifi, that tends to cut your performance in half at best?

I never said it was a super amazing setup :)

5Ghz Wifi connection is working again so I did a quick test of copying a 1GB video file from and to the media server:

Media Server to Laptop over 5GHz Wifi: ~15MBps
Laptop to Media Server: ~17MBps

With the desktop that is plugged into the same router as the media server (I've verified that both have a link speed of 1000Mb/s):

Media Server to Desktop over LAN: 80MBps
Desktop to Media Server over LAN: 110MBps

This tells me everything is peachy via LAN but there's a huge Wifi bottleneck which continues to mystify me. I was convinced that I would be able to bypass the WDS performance issues by leaving the 5Ghz wifi network up and connecting to it directly.

Reviewing the route tables on my laptop, everything is going to the default route which points to the shitbox (fritzbox) so I suppose data may be routed through that somehow but then why do transfers continue to move at the low speed when shitbox is turned off?

Maybe I should break off a /28 block outside the dhcp range then setup reservations for the desktop and media server inside the /28 block and add a static route with the Archer C7 routers IP?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I switched to fiber and my isp is only giving me a ipv6 address now which completely trashed all my port forwarding and dynamic dns configurations. I've got a Fritz!box 7582 and I setup ipv6 port forwarding but I can't seem to get external connections to work.

On top of that, connecting to my media server with its ipv6 address isn't working either :/

Is there some sort of dummies guide to ipv6 networking at home that I can go through to figure out all this stuff?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

most dynamic dns hosts don't support ipv6 so that's the reason your fritz might be on the fritz :dadjoke: The ones i know that work with ipv6 are cloudflare, noip and dynv6.

Usually you get a ipv6 class not a single ip so port forward is not necessary, you need to set up the fritz to receive the wan ipv6 and propagate that class to devices, most boxes won't have ipv6 enabled for security reasons so you will need to do some tinkering before it works.

I've started trying a few out but they all seem to cost money (one is just $6/year so maybe I'll go for it). I did get a ipv6 class assigned and I configured the router to assign addresses from it but for some reason I can't access my media server remotely when I add its address to a AAAA DNS record and try hitting it from my phone (I did configure ipv6 port forwarding in the router). It's just plain Fedora Server and I verified it's got a single ipv6 address from that class as opposed to a ULA.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2020

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

You might try calling your ISP and asking if they filter inbound requests to your home. They might be doing the firewall thing for you. Make sure you can access your service via its IP6 address while on your home network but not on the fedora box. Might be the firewall on your server itself blocking it.

Oh geez, calling my ISP is a nightmare with minimum hour long waits but I'll give that a shot.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Registering your own domain and running cloudflare is about the same price and a lot more flexible, take that into account too.

This are the basic steps for setting up ipv6

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7590/knowledge-base/publication/show/573_Configuring-IPv6-support-in-the-FRITZ-Box/

Did you follow all of these steps?

Yep although those steps set it up to hand out local addresses, I set it up to assign from my prefix. I'm going to email my ISP and hope they reply but there's a chance I'll have to pay up for a ipv4 address.

Edit: I've already got a domain setup for this, I guess I could delegate it to cloudflare as that's its only use.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 8, 2020

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If you could share the isp maybe we could help more, i've found a belgian isps that shows how to configure his services with a similar model of yours here https://www.edpnet.be/en/support/installation-and-usage/internet/manage-fritz!box/how-do-i-enable-ipv6-on-my-fritz!box.html

I've got M-Net (The German telecom not the south african tv channel). The lovely thing is that the ISP disabled the IPv6 tab (I was messing with it before I called them the activate the router). It's using DS-Lite for the IPv4 connection and the monitor view shows that I do have a prefix assigned though.

H110Hawk posted:

Or aws is $6/year for r53.

I'm already using namecheap for my domains, I'm only really looking for a service that has dynamic dns built in (I could build something myself with aws but :effort:) as namecheap only does ipv4.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If the articles i found are true ( https://klaus.hohenpoelz.de/mnet-ipv6-port-forwarding-fritzbox-7430.html ) you are behind some nasty carrier grade NAT, i would strongly recommend a chat with their support.

drat, I'd spotted that and tried just exposing my address but didn't have any luck. Time for a chat :/

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Tangentially related to my ipv6 issues. I got namecheap to enable API access for me only to discover that I have to whitelist IPs to access it which only supports ipv4 :ughh:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I just moved into a freshly built house and I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect all the rooms as I've got a massive patch panel it's all running to. A couple electricians dropped by yesterday as they're finishing up the house next to us and the technician who came to hook up fiber was skeptical that everything was there, one mentioned that the blue cable would make it easier to hook up the rooms but didn't elaborate (I'm going to try and catch him tomorrow to give me a proper rundown as I wasn't there for it).

Anyways, would anyone have any clue what said blue cable is for and how I can somehow avoid getting a 24 port switch to get the entire place hooked up? All I've got at the moment is a little TP-Link router I'm going to get rid off as I stepped up to a Deco X50 mesh and Ubiqtui 6 port router.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 14, 2023

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Once I dig up the ubiquity router I’ll hook five up, the one connected is to my office on the first floor for the mesh hub. Literally only thing on the blue cable is “AP2” in sharpie. I was pretty certain I’d need a dedicated switch but maybe there’s been some magic innovation since I worked in datacenters.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Yep that’s the one thing I had to get as it’s all concrete between the floors. I only really need gigabit for streaming but there’s all those ports begging for a connection

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Noticed that while I have 300Mbps down with my ISP I could only get 100Mbps over the wifi, initially thought it was an ISP issue but I ran a speedtest from my media server that is going over cable and it hits 300Mbps no problem.

I've got the Deco X50 for the mesh wifi, is there another mesh wifi setup I should be using that uses a dedicated backhaul and provides higher throughput so I can hit 300Mbps? the 100 Mbps seems to be the maximum overall rate (All devices suffer when I run a speedtest)

Edit: Reading a bunch of reviews and the Deco XE75 seems like a good choice that won't break the bank.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 17, 2023

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

That did the trick. I did a quick test and when I’m connected to a wired hub I get the full 300mbps. As soon as it bumps over to a non wired hub it drops so I’ll get some more cables and patch them all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Cyks posted:

As far as the 100 down goes, I’d have to ask what the width of the channel is (20,40,80,160Mhz), what device are you testing with and are you connecting using the 2.4 or 5ghz band.

If the device is running off a default 20Mhz channel, 100 down over a single wireless hop is about what I’d expect in a good setup.

Which makes them advertising 3 Gbps speeds on the box fun.

That's why I was so confused, it should have been able to hit this speed without breaking a sweat. I disabled 2.5 Ghz and channel width is 160 MHz but it still couldn't exceed 100Mbps