Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

sellouts posted:

What's the active, paid subscription part of this? Is this talking about Nest or UI?

My guess is they're referencing that you can get paid support from a couple of the places that offer their JDK for free. Which is one way places like Adopt OpenJDK can do things like offer backported security fixes to old JDK versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

MonkeyFit posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a mesh network the seamless handoff between APs?

I think mesh really refers to how the nodes communicate, which is typically by using wireless between the nodes so that you can relay them together. It almost feels like a semantic issue when nodes within the mesh can use wired backhaul, since that strikes me more like an access point.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

SnatchRabbit posted:

Just wanted to confirm something with folks here: I just had Verizon fios installed at my new house. The tech ran the router and cable box to the main living room downstairs where previous owner had cable. The entire house has coax jacks in every room it seems. Tech also put a second tv box In The master br upstairs using the existing coax jack. I asked about running an extender and the tech recommended a Verizon network extender https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/

So if I am understanding this correctly I should be able to buy one of these for upstairs, connect it to coax and maybe call Verizon and then I should have at least one room on 2nd floor with wired internet and some more WiFi coverage yeah?

I see MoCA listed as one of it's features so it's probably a safe bet. I'm not sure how it would work if you changed ISPs though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a reason not to get the Amplifi Alien over the Unifi Dream Machine? It's a difference of only 40 bucks and the Alien supports newer standards like WIFI 6

I believe the alien part of their consumer mesh line.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does the thread have a preferred wifi analysis tool? Something I can run on my computer while I wave an antenna around until I find a good spot?

I really like Wifi Analyzer on Android. I believe MacOS has one built in if I'm not mistaken too.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Regularly getting 1150Mbps up and down with the new Gateway from AT&T. I believe IP passthrough actually works now and the 5gbE port seems to work fine on it. Incredible stuff coming from Spectrum.

What gateway is it?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

MeKeV posted:

I've tried a few different channels and switched band steering around a bit, but I can't get my Firestick 4K to connect to the 5ghz on my UAP-AC. It just sticks to 2.4ghz

Do I need to bite the bullet and split my single SSID to one for 2ghz and one for 5ghz?
Or perhaps just create a separate 5ghz only one for the Firestick alone?
Edit: Did the latter, seems fine.

Probably has more to do with signal strength. Some devices, especially the streaming sticks in my experience, will just not listen to any band steering type stuff, and just use whatever band has a stronger signal.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

KingKapalone posted:

I setup my pfSense router with two Unifi AP AC Pros. I have gigabit and I'm getting about 900mbps on my wired desktop and 250mbps on my phone sitting next to the AP. Does that seem right?

I'm hoping Virtual Desktop will be fast enough for my Quest 2.

IIRC being super close to an AP is actually worse, especially if using a high power level on the radios.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
It's a little more costly than that but you could run your own wireguard node. Digital Ocean's basic droplet is $5 a month.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Soysaucebeast posted:

Ok y'all I have a quick question. I have a dual band router in my bedroom, and my devices in my living room seem to be just at the edge of the 5hz band's range. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, I'd just force the devices onto the 2.4Ghz band and we're good to go. But I just got a PS5 and there doesn't seem to be an option to force it to the 2.4Ghz band, so it's connecting to the 5Ghz band, having the connection cut out, and then just not re-connecting until I reboot the console. I'm going to double check my router when I get home to see if I can force it to the 5Ghz band, but in case that's not an option I was thinking about either getting a wifi extender or an outlet ethernet adapter. The only thing is, I'm not sure what's the best option between the two. I can't just run an ethernet cable from the router to the console unfortunately, otherwise I'd just do that.

Wifi extenders are pretty poopy. I think your best non-ethernet options are:
1. Mesh Wifi system
2. MoCA
3. Powerline

I usually stick powerline last because my experience with it, while it does work, if you need to jump over breakers the speed will be extremely slow. Since the router is in the bedroom it's likely that this will be a big issue for you.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
There's probably an advantage to using something that isn't Windows Defender and that's since most windows users are using windows defender, it becomes a main focus of exploit or the lowest hurdle to clear.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I think you could also have the other devices connect to the wireguard host with their own client IPs, so then they would be directly accessible.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

tuyop posted:

Turned out just listing 192.168.0.0/24 as an allowed IP did it.

Well that's quite a bit easier and good to know.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Got a Flex mini for my entertainment center and a Switch Lite PoE today. Removed the two power injectors for a couple APs and an older netgear 5 port dumb switch. I gotta say the network seems noticeably quicker over WiFi and I'm wondering if my netgear was showing its age or of the power injectors were introducing some latency.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I think comcast and other satellite boxes, like TiVo, also use MoCA to communicate back to the primary box. I am not too sure whether other devices that support MoCA on the same network would cause a problem but since you seem to have good speed it's probably not an issue. One thing you probably want to do since I didn't see you mention it is grab a MoCA filter for the coax line coming in to your home. This will keep your MoCA network from leaking out/being exposed.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

SlapActionJackson posted:

Happy 2021

Internet connection fell over this morning. ATT Fiber RG bypass is no longer working for me. Seems that as ATT deploys network upgrades; the newer setup can't be bypassed with the old tricks, so many of you may encounter this at some point too.

Here's to hoping someone figures it out soon. In the meantime I'll rock the double NAT and test the session table on the BGW210 :toot:

Why not just use the dmz/pass through mode? Doesn't that avoid double NAT?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

SlapActionJackson posted:

Sort of. The RG still tracks all sessions that flow through it; it just does not have to re-write the addresses since the 2nd router is already using the WAN IP. It's not a true bridge mode.

It will avoid double NAT trouble for e.g UPnP, though.

That's good to know, I figured it was a real passthrough butt I should've known better. I've been using it this way for a year or so now without issues so I'm sure you'll be ok.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Probably because they want their remote tech support to have some level of access to your network for doing poo poo like resetting the gateway.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I’m not quite sure I follow all the issues here. I have a Unifi setup and am moving to a place where I will have AT&T Fiber. If all I really care about is plugging poo poo in and having internet work, and not any “advanced” features will I run into any trickle?

If you get a BGW you just use passthrough mode and it's fine.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

hooah posted:

Where is this setting accessible? On the web interface?

Yep. If you're having a tech come, just tell them what you want to do and they'll help you out. That's what I did when I first got my install and didn't realize I'd be forced to use their gateway.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I've recently upgraded my internet and want to add wifi to my main PC. I've done this with a little USB dongle as a stop gap, but I would like to get a better one or (ideally?) a PCIe card that is capable of using the entire available bandwidth (the cheap dongle from Meijer only does ~50Mbps).

Browsing through Newegg, TP Link and Asus seem like the big brands? Is there a difference between these or are adapters all the same parts with different branding and it doesn't matter?

https://www.newegg.com/asus-pce-ax3000-pci-express/p/N82E16833320448

https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-archer-tx3000e-pci-express/p/N82E16833704507

I think you'll want something similar to the 2nd link there, where it has an antenna you can relocate. I can't speak to the quality or brands though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Grumio did you install a filter on your incoming cable connection?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Grumio posted:

When the tech activated the downstairs outlet, I looked and there's already a filter on the incoming connection. Do I need a different kind?

I'm not sure, it's been awhile since I had any MoCA going on. Of particular interest may be this amazon comment I found https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3B2OLY6B2LT9T/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B079LY8CPF

Amazon" posted:

Many ISPs are "upgrading" customers by sending them a new modem that is most likely using the newer DOCSIS 3.1 standard. MoCA frequencies interfere with DOCSIS 3.1, so you need to connect a filter at the back of the new modem (in addition to the filter at PoE). If you don't, you'll either get super slow speeds or the internet just straight up won't work. These filters worked perfectly and everything is good now.

Maybe this applies to you? You could probably contact the ISP and they would have info on what type of filters you may need too.

Edit: fixed typo

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 25, 2021

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

Currently I am running an old version of the Unifi controller software (5.14.23.0) in a TrueNAS jail. I haven't updated it in a while because it seems like every time I do, something breaks and it takes me forever to fix. Is there an easy way to update it to a current 6.whatever software?

Would it be easiest to just export my settings, delete the jail, do a fresh Controller software 6 install (of which I can't seem to find a good guide), and then import my settings?

I see a unifi6 package up on FreshPorts but no precompiled package yet. But yea export your config and use a new jail.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

codo27 posted:

What do I need to know about getting a VPN? Should I go with Nord?

If you're feeling like tinkering you can roll your own wireguard node using a Digital Ocean droplet or other provider for $5/month or so.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I use my wireguard node protect my traffic when using public hotspots. I also have a blackhole hosts file set up on it so that it blocks ads and other nasties for me.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

H110Hawk posted:

Wireguard to where? The other endpoint is where you are shifting that risk. This is the part the above user is alluding to. You have to trust "nordvpn" to not do whatever you distrust the network you're running it on to do.

Public wifi - nayer do wells sniffing your banking info.
Home internet - your isp sniffing where you're going and using it against you (illegal torrents) or using it to pry into your life for advertising.
Bypassing overzealous firewalls? (att mobile sometimes let's me ssh, sometimes doesn't.)

You get the idea. Answer these questions and you're on your way to an answer.

That answer is never Norton / sophos / etc "endpoint protection" bullshit. Never.

I run a droplet on Digital Ocean for it. But pretty much all the things you listed above besides torrents. There's some small mobile data cap improvement that, at least in my head, would come along with using a blackhole hosts file as well so I'm not pulling down ads.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Something else many people fail to consider is that WiFi device has to be able to get a signal back to the WAP. You can have a super strong wifi signal being broadcast to the device, but if the device isn't strong enough to get a signal back, performance is not going to be good either.

Ohhh this is a great additional comment. I'm usually using something like Wi-Fi analyzer to look at signal levels but that's not going to measure the power of my phone/mac/whatever else.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Staying on controller version 5 forever it seems, no ads for me.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Hey cool, the only way I can access my unifi controller from the mobile app is by logging out of my UI account.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

hooah posted:

Would this be an appropriate place to ask about configuring Wireguard? I used algo to set it up, but I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I'd like to not tunnel the traffic when I'm on my home network, mostly so I can cast to devices. I can ping my phone's in-network IP address (i.e. 192.168.whatever), but I can't connect to my Google devices. What would cause this?

I dunno anything about algo but in your wireguard config you can specify IPs or IP ranges to not tunnel. Or you could just turn off your wireguard tunnel while at home.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

hooah posted:

What field would I put the ranges into? I'd prefer something automated.

Allowed IPs I believe. In the wireguard mobile app you can check a box to exclude private IPs which does it for you automatically.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Java rules tbh.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

hooah posted:

I've been using AdGuard's DNS service for a while now, but for the last few days *.gstatic.com and recaptcha.net content has been loading very slowly or not at all. If I switch to e.g. Google's DNS, things load fine. Are there any other reputable DNS services that block ads?

I use NextDNS and it's pretty good.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I think it's a controller version 6+ thing. I've not seen it since I'm on 5 and upgrading to 6 looks like a pain in the rear end on my TrueNAS box.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
My experience with power line is that unless you're staying on the same circuit your speed is crippled. Even more so if you have certain types of breakers. I dunno much about electrical but bedrooms here tend to have a type of breaker that renders them nearly unusable.

Edit: going from breaker 18 and 16 are different circuits. The power is traveling from one circuit, through it's breaker to breaker 18, the over to whatever outlet you have.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

George RR Fartin posted:

Is there any way to direct all traffic intended for a particular site/IP to another site (or blank page) via the router? I know you can individually edit a hosts file, and I suspect you could set up a piehole to do this, but I have a friend who has a family member who is otherwise helpful but very...poisoned by right wing media, and he would find it easier to have her in his house helping with the family if she wasn't constantly distracted by and repeating horrific conspiracy theory bullshit. I was hoping he could just redirect anyone on his wireless (since she's just gonna be using her phone) who tries to go to Daily Caller or Fox News or whatever to a blank page or google or a self help group or whatever.

And yes, a direct discussion with this person would be the best way to handle it, but that route has been taken numerous times to no avail (unsurprisingly, if you've had to deal with this sort of family member before). It'd just be easier to let her say "hey none of my websites work" and shrugging like "yeah our internet has been weird lately".

The easiest is probably to set up NextDNS, then add whatever site blocks to it. PiHole is cool too but probably more work if you don't already have a Pi or VM setup.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

bolind posted:

Is there something similar to pihole but you host it in the cloud and just point your clients towards those addresses as their DNS? Will this make things way too slow?

I'm thinking to set up a private DNS server for a few close family members, so there must be some way of filtering who gets to use it, even if they're on non-static IPs.

Dumb idea or dumbest idea?
I'd probably use NextDNS for it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Buy the plates with a female jack in the back so you don't have to worry about it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

LODGE NORTH posted:

This was part of my thinking, but I was mostly aiming for the least amount of cables and new devices as possible if possible. If I added another switch, I'd have to power it which would take up space on my already super exhausted surge protector. If it's not a thing, that's cool too, just wanted to see what was possible for this setup.

If you're looking for something small the Unifi Flex Mini can be powered by PoE and is smaller than a deck of cards. It's probably my favorite Unifi device.