Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone having problems with UniFi's 6.2.44 firmware for their APs? Mine just updated last night and it took out the AP. Huge poo poo show of rolling it back to get it working again

Sorry to hear about your struggle. I have auto update on, looks like all my APs are running 6.2.44 now and I haven't noticed any hiccups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I downgraded from 1 gig to 500mbit on my wan connection and the only time I notice it is when downloading xbox one or playstation games. 4 people in the house heavily using the internet, the adults full time WFH, online gaming, multiple 4K streams, never comes close to using even half the line on a regular basis.

Yup. If ATT ever brought unlimited bandwidth to their sub-1gbps plans I would downgrade. The once or twice a month where I download something big isn't really worth the extra money.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The only reason I keep 1gig service for my ATT fiber is no data cap. At least last I looked their 300mbps plan has a cap.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Beef Of Ages posted:

I also strongly suspect that there is no way you'd see max speeds when the connection has to peer outside of AT&T's network. I have the 1gbps AT&T Fiber and their speedtest that stays within their network reliably shows about 980mbps down. Anything I have to connect to the actual Internet for rarely gets above 400mbps; this is still plenty for a normal household with streaming and whatnot, but it sure as gently caress ain't what AT&T advertises.

I definitely don't have this issue. I have no problem pulling 800-950mbps from Usenet or for Playstation downloads for example.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
My ubiquiti setup was massively improved by upgrading to a UDM Pro. To be fair I was coming from a USGv3 which seemed to be pretty terrible to me, but the UDM Pro has been rock solid with multiple vlans and SSIDs. I'm sure my network isn't particularly complicated compared to what others may have, especially if you are looking for fine grained control of IPtables type rules etc, but it's been great for me.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

stupid unifi question

can i leave the channel optimization on but make it not consider certain channels? i'm looking at a nice middle of nowhere area with outdoor APs, so i should be able to let them kinda do their own thing EXCEPT the uplink is from a 5ghz fixed wireless so i need to make sure that specifically gets left alone but the entire rest of 5ghz spectrum should be fine

i can't find the setting if it's there

Yea it's possible, unfortunately I can't check at the moment because Remote Login is down and apparently I just can't login to my UDM Pro now lmao

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

lol naturally

Got back in but don't see the option now. Might be on the old UI only? I'm not convinced it does anything tbh, I've had it on a couple months and the channels have never changed over that period.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Monoprice.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I’ll just shake my fist at you and your working Ubiquiti APs.

Any recommendations for a good iPhone tool? I specifically need signal strength and it seems largely lacking.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ubiquiti-wifiman/id1385561119

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Been waiting 6 months for the g4 pro doorbell to come in stock. Probably die before it happens.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I don't know what BGP is but I'm pretending it means Bidirectional Giga Packets.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

sporkstand posted:

I need to get wifi out to the further reaches of my back yard. I'm having the cabling run next week so that bit is sorted. I've got a POE switch so I'm good there as well. What Unifi AP should I use? I see that they've got the UAP-AC-M at $99, the UAP-FlexHD and the U6-Mesh both at $179. Will the UAP-AC-M work for me?
I'm already invested in the Unifi ecosystem so it'll need to be something from Unifi.

Probably a U6-lite if you're not doing anything heavy duty with it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The only one I can spot quickly is the U6 Professional from ubiquity.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Fragrag posted:

Did you mean the U6-Enterprise which you linked to?

I don't know much about networking equipment, but I set up two of them for work and they work pretty well.

What I don't really understand though is the role of Ubiquiti's Dream devices. I've set up the APs with my phone but I would of course prefer if this was not the case. Do we need that hardware to configure Ubiquiti equipment?

Looks like it, sorry the new store UI got me mixed up.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Netflix streams 4k at 25/mbps I believe

200 * 25 = 5000mbps

So it would top out around 5gbps, assuming no other usage I guess.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

namlosh posted:

So what’s the current best approach to having a VPN into my network so I can access local resources from anywhere?
I have:
UDMPRO running 6.2 unifios and the latest firmware
Lots of vlans set up to segregate everything and put crappy iot stuff in jail with no internet
Pi’s sitting around that I can use if it makes sense. I even have a usb3 network adapter to give a pi another network interface

I’m not really trying to stream anything too much, just want to be able to hit my local home assistant server and mess around with my homelab stuff.

Clients would be iOS or windows mostly

Teleport works well and it's built into the UDMP.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I would probably downgrade to 300mbps fiber if it had the same unlimited data cap. However there are a few times a month where I'm happy to see a big download going very fast.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
MoCA is so vastly superior to powerline I'm not sure how anyone could recommend powerline. Unless you're staying on the same electrical circuit your speed is going to get crushed because the breaker types needed for places like bedrooms degrade the signal so badly it's not worth it unless you desperately need a wired connection there and the bandwidth needed is really low. I think the couple times I tried it was getting something like 1MB/s or so across circuit breakers.

I bought MoCA adapters to wire the office in my house and they do full gigabit speed.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Wibla posted:

I run powerline between floors, through modern GFCI breakers - the link tops out at around 70 megabits.

Eesh, even less than 1MB/s

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
They don't, the controller is built in. I don't think the Dream Router has the controller though?

The fact we're even having this discussion shows the flawed product nature of the Unifi ecosystem though lol.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 8, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Google WiFi is pretty set and forget and you can get 3 packs regularly for $120-150. This is the older generation before they changed the branding to Nest Wifi. I deployed this at my parents house when I got sick of their bizarre multiple router ecosystem thing they had going on thanks to Best Buy.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Multicast enhancement I believe is what you're looking for.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Print the images out so they can be mailed and scanned into the system.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

kri kri posted:

What dns do y’all use? I’m using cloud flare now but wondering if there’s anything better out there. I’d like some level of adocking if possible.

NextDNS is incredible, do recommend for easy of use, cost, and ability to quickly set up encrypted DNS for your mobile devices so you're protected everywhere.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I recall apple devices struggling in the past if the DTIM wasn't 3.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ROJO posted:

Looking to pick up a basic bitch meah system for my parents while things are on sale. They live in the boonies and have poo poo tier Internet (<10mbps), but a large three story house that their F-tier ISP provided DSL modem doesn't cover. I had good luck with the OG eero system back before I switched to unifi at home, and see reasonably cheap deals on them right now. That said, anything WiFi6 is still massive overkill for my parents, and I dunno if eero went downhill when Amazon(?) bought them out. Is there a better/cheaper option out there that is still getting security updates? I really don't care about things like dedicated backhaul because, again, their bandwidth blows complete goats. Thanks!

I still recommend and go for the older gen Google Wifi pucks. Usually can snag a 3 pack for $150 and from your description is plenty.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

codo27 posted:

So do I have any other options? I'm ready to go nuclear against ads. DEFCON 1 poo poo. If ads all came from one country called Adnia I would join the military to go destroy them.

NewPipe rules for Android.

I think some folks in either the Nas or Plex thread have mentioned using a combo of downloaders + Plex as well

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

bolind posted:

The Internet of poo poo is slowly taking over my home network and I’d really like to separate it from the rest. I’m running UniFi APs and an EdgeRouter X SFP. Wasn’t there some easy way to present a separate ssid to iot devices and separate them from the rest?

I dunno about the edge router specifically but yea, you set up a separate SSID, associate it with a separate VLAN, and then set up a routing rule so that the new IoT vlan can't talk to the other VLANs.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

qirex posted:

Anyone here good at Ubiquiti? I got a dream machine pro and set it up inside my existing network. I’m not sure which options to look for to get it in “talk to the modem” state sine it probably turned off a bunch of routing features on the initial setup. Everything else is fine, I just still have my Time Machine between it and the modem which kinda defeats the purpose of the whole exercise.

This is how I set mine up initially too. Then after I had it configured I swapped it in with modem/gateway feeding the wan port and adjusted the settings on my gateway so that bridge mode would continue working and pass through the external IP to my UDM Pro.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I dunno I could probably spend 2-3 hours on just cabling.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
OnHub is specifically not compatible with Google WiFi or Nest WiFi which is pretty annoying. Sorry you had to find out the hard way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Cross-Section posted:

Am I correct in thinking that having MoCA encryption/filters is unnecessary in a standalone suburban house?

Just set up a 2-box network using the existing coax runs in my house and it has been the very definition of plug-and-play. Went from 250mbs down on 5G wi-fi to 950mbs down using the adapters. Rock-solid connection too.

Do I need to worry about turning on MPS and what not? I looked into it a bit and it sounds like a hassle to set up on these ScreenBeam adapters.

If your coax connection to outside is connected, I'd put a filter there IMO.