Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there an easy way on a Win7 PC to switch back and forth between a wired and wireless connection?

I can always physically plug/unplug the network cable out the back and restart but I'd love a more elegant software solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm looking for a small and reliable wired router to connect to a cable modem to split an internet connection between two PCs. Any recommendations?

Also, do regular and crossover cables matter anymore? I vaguely remember something about the cable between the modem and the router needing to be a crossover cable and the other cables being straight through, but I don't know if this applies anymore.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Sorry, I'm not sure I made what I'm looking for clear enough. I'm looking for a wired-only router, since paying for wireless capabilities that I'm never going to use seems unnecessary. If wired-only routers like that simply don't exist, I have no problem buying one of the routers in the OP.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Ah, okay. In that case I will grab one from OP. Thanks for the explanation.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get a WiFi router recommendation? I have a handful of Apple devices in a small space (800 square feet), although some of the walls between rooms are pretty thick.

My current router is an ailing 6th Gen AirPort Extreme that I have been stubbornly using for a decade in hopes that the OP would be updated, but I have finally let that dream die.

RIP My Hopes Jun 7, 2018 - Mar 20, 2024.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Just get an eero if all you want is qty 1 wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/eero-mesh-WiFi-router-extender/dp/B07WMMD6DD/ - Great value.

Perfect, I'll pick one up! Thank you!

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I haven't pulled the trigger yet and uh... I'm willing to pay extra for privacy. Can I get another option? haha :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for laying it out that way! I forgot that my devices are already collecting a bunch of info on me. :downs: I'll grab that refurbished eero then. I do occasionally tinker with hardware/software stuff, so it's good to know I can swap to something OpenWRT based if I want to.