Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

skystream92 posted:

I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to networking/internet connectivity issues, so please bear with me.

Recently (past couple weeks or so) we started seeing some connectivity issues with our comcast internet. Basically, there are times when the internet will have almost no connectivity, and at other times the internet seems to be fine. I called Comcast about it, and they said that from their end, they see the signal to our modem is strong. I was thinking that maybe we were having a saturation issue with the frequencies, so I plugged the computer directly into the modem and bypassed the router. This didn't help at all, and connectivity is still lovely. Any ideas?

EDIT: At this point, is there anything else I can try looking into that can be fixed from my end, or is it basically in the ISP's court now?

I've been having the same issue with Suddenlink. My connection issues would start around 6:30-7:00PM and continue until around 10:30-11:00PM. I'm paying for 20Mbit and at certain points I would get as low as .88Mbit/sec. During the day I was getting 20+.

The first thing I did was hook a few different computers directly to the moden like you did to verify it wasn't the router. Then I started doing bandwidth tests during the day when it was working fine and taking screenshots, and then doing the same when it slowed down and taking screenshots. I also started doing traceroutes to various sites to see where the bottleneck was. In my case, it was the first hop once it left my house. I then started doing pings on that node and noticed that the times were wildly inconsistent. They would range anywhere from 10ms to 500+ms. Turns out they were having some interference on the node in the neighborhood. They performed some maintenance on the node and haven't had any more issues since.

The best thing you can do is be persistent. I called every day for a week, sometimes two or three times within a few hours.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I was using https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and https://www.speedtest.net for speed testing.

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

emocrat posted:

I don't know much about wireless networking and am looking for some advice here.

I just bought and moved into a new home, it is about 3200 sqf. 2 stories. The top floor bumps out a bit from the base so the 2 stories are not completely stacked. We have comcast internet at 25/5 speeds, but there is a company putting gigabit fiber down in my city and if they make it to my neighborhood I will get that. I own my own cable modem and it currently connects to a 5th generation Airport Extreme.

That was completely sufficient for my prior (smaller) place, but with the larger area in the new house, I need to expand. The house is not wired with ethernet, so Wifi is going to it for most things.

So, I am looking for advice: buy some kind of extender and piggyback the current wfi? Is there benefit to replacing the airport completely? I am open to spending some decent money on this if the gear is quality and will last me for a long time, I just don't really know what my options are what the pros and cons of different methods are. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation but have a Netgear WNDR3700. I nerded out when I set it up a few years ago at our old house and am using the the feature that allows for three wireless networks (1 for N, 1 for G, the other is the guest network). The router is set up at the front of the house, so when I am at the back of the house wireless coverage is very spotty. How would I go about extending the N and G range and maintain the same wireless name and PW? If it helps, I have cat6 drops everywhere in the house so adding some sort of AP via wire will be no problem.

Edit: Made a mistake, the wirelss is set up one as 5ghz, one as 2.4ghz, and the last as a guest network.

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 27, 2015

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

blk96gt posted:

I'm in a similar situation but have a Netgear WNDR3700. I nerded out when I set it up a few years ago at our old house and am using the the feature that allows for three wireless networks (1 for N, 1 for G, the other is the guest network). The router is set up at the front of the house, so when I am at the back of the house wireless coverage is very spotty. How would I go about extending the N and G range and maintain the same wireless name and PW? If it helps, I have cat6 drops everywhere in the house so adding some sort of AP via wire will be no problem.

Edit: Made a mistake, the wirelss is set up one as 5ghz, one as 2.4ghz, and the last as a guest network.

Sorry I'm quoting myself, but after a little research I found the UniFi UAP-LR (http://amzn.com/B005H4CDF4). I think that basically does what I'm looking for except for 5 ghz capability (would have to go to the UAP-Pro to get 5 and 2.4ghz, which is $200). I would basically shut the wireless functionality off on my current router and plug the UAP-LR in.

Anyone have any experiences with these? Any other options I should look at?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help all. Looks like the standard Unifi AP will be the ticket. Am I really missing out on anything by not having 5hz? All the important devices are wired (gaming computer, PS3, sat. recv., etc), so it's only things like iPhones/iPads (do they work on 5hz? p. sure the 5s doesn't), laptops, and such that are wireless. Nothing that streams is wireless. Would it be worth it to get two AP's to ensure full coverage around the house? Are there problems when walking around and the device still hanging on to the first AP instead of swapping to the closer one?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I think I'm going to pick up the Netgear AC1900 (http://amzn.com/B00F0DD0I6). The plan is to disable wireless on my upstairs router and use the new one in the middle of the house. My question is will I be able to disable the router functionality of it and use it as an AP AND a switch? I have a few things that will need to be connected by wire, so if I could buy this and it could function as both a switch and wireless AP, it would save me some money by having to by a separate switch and AP.

Edit: Took a look at the manual and it appears that if I set the router up in AP mode it will do the above. How does this router compare to the ASUS RT-AC66U (http://amzn.com/B008ABOJKS)? The Netgear seems to have better reviews, and I've been happy with my current WNDR3700. Any other options I should look at?

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 31, 2015

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
My Netgear r7000 is starting to give me some weird wireless problems, add to that some of the security issues that have been popping up for netgear lately and I think I'm ready to dump it.

Just as a background, here is what I have in the house:
- everything wired is cat6
- wired devices: gaming Desktop, media server, NAS, PS3, 2 NVidia Shield TV's, Fire TV
- Wireless devices: 2 iPhones, iPad, 2 laptops, Kindle, Fire TV stick
- current network hardware: Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US, 2 tp-link unmanaged switches, whatever Surfboard modem is recommended in the OP, and a netgear r7000
- Three wireless separate SSIDs: one 5ghz, one 2.4, and a guest 2.4ghz

I'm thinking all I need to do is grab an Edgerouter X and another UAP-AC-PRO (and maybe another switch), dump the r7000 and I should be good to go? Right now the chances of having more than two streaming devices operating at once are pretty slim, but once the kid gets a little older that may change.

One thing I would like to do is give priority to my gaming computer so when my wife is watching Netflix or something my ping doesn't take a poo poo like it currently does. I don't see any noticeable lag when she's streaming something from the media server and I am playing a game. I assume priority routing is pretty easy to set up with the Ubiquiti software?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I wasn't going to post this since it requires you open web management to the internet, but since you mentioned Netgear...

https://slashdot.org/story/16/12/11/1832234/vulnerability-prompts-warning-stop-using-netgear-wifi-routers

In regards to your question for making it so that when your wife streams your pings don't go to poo poo, if it's not a wireless issue, which it isn't because your stuff is hard wired, it would require something called QoS. The problem is, you can't really apply QoS to download traffic using your router, only upload traffic. The reason being is that your ISP is going to send whatever traffic your way, regardless if your router then goes "no wait do it in this order." You can read a better explanation here - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2621329/setting-qos.html

The real solution? More bandwidth from your ISP.

I guess I never really thought about, but it makes sense that QoS wouldn't make a difference. Oh well, luckily I don't really do a ton of gaming anymore.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I got my Edgerouter X set up last night. I used the WAN+2LAN2 wizard and also upgraded the firmware to the latest and greatest. Anything else I need to do to lock it down? It looks like the default firewall rules deny all incoming connections, so I'm pretty sore I'm good to go?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I've got all my Ubiquiti stuff set up now (Edgerouter X and two UAP-AC-PROs) and everything was seamless. I set up all my static routes before I hooked the router up so I didn't even have to reboot any machines. Setting up the AP's was a breeze.

My only question is that I've got 3 different WLAN SSIDs. It's a holdover from my old router(s) where I had to have separate SSIDs for for 5g, 2g and guest network. Am I causing any problems by disabling the radio for 2g on the 5g SSID and vice versa? I did it this way so I wouldn't have to change anything on my devices that only support 2.4. Doesn't seem like it would cause any problems, but just wanted to check first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Good to know. I never liked the idea of having the same SSID serving both 5g and 2.4g. The Ubiquiti is the first AP I've had that does it this way.

Also, I like that when you set an SSID as a guest network, it isolates anything connected to the guest (at least it appears to, I couldn't ping anything on my network when I connect to that SSID). Does the computer with the controller software running have to be turned on for the guest network stuff to work? I don't have any of the portal stuff enabled.