Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
So there's probably 400W for the R710s and 200W for the R210 (plus any other 1Us). The switch could be anywhere from 80W to 890W. So you are somewhere in the 2 kW of heat range (maybe more depending on hardware).

A bottom end Mitsubishi heat pump is able to cool about 2.5 kW (and use about 1 kW to provide maximum cooling).

One heat pump doesn't provide any cooling redundancy if the unit fails so you need to be mindful of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Cheap but not upgradeable. Looks like it would be vulnerable to KRACK if the firmware is that old.

I'll have a think about it, but would also like to hear other opinions. If I did add it to the OP I'd need to put some disclaimers on it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
TM-AC1900 added to the op while in stock, with instructions on how to flash it to an RT-AC68U

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's a massive camera project. The electrical engineers in my office would typically design a system like that and be aware of all the things that could catch you out. A big project.

For off the shelf NAS QNAP has a server that comes with a license for 8 cameras and can be expanded to 80. I assume the limit is because of network or disk bandwidth. You could end up with a very full rack of gear.

In other news Apple have finally ended the AirPort now that they have sold all of the remaining stock. They'll stay in the OP for a while but this is the end of the line.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/apple-exits-wi-fi-game-airport-routers-discontinued-after-stock-sells-out/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Are there any deals for fixed 4G service? Often a provider will supply a 4G modem/router for this type of use.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

Hey thread.

I'd just like to thank Devian666 for the OP. The TP-LINK Archer C5 I got off Amazon for $48 was quick and easy to setup and has been working very smoothly.

I can't take all the credit as a lot of other people have contributed recently and in the past. Good to hear that your series of tubes is operating smoothly.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The router is probably operating at the limit the cpu can cope with. The results in the link show higher speeds. When you run custom firmware they tend not to use the hardware acceleration for wireless encryption so the performance is generally lower than the stock firmware. So this is probably the right time to look at an upgrade.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31058-asus-rt-n16-gigabit-n-router-reviewed?start=4

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

Any thoughts on these?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb....3801078&cm_sp=

I have some smart devices that are pretty far from my router and access point and these seem like a pretty good deal since I can't run eithernet extensively in my house. I have an ER-X already so I should be able to power one of them off the POE and just use the included adapter for the other one.

Are you utilising the mesh network functionality?

In other news I've been running TP Link powerline adapters for 4 years and they're still going strong. The performance is a bit limited with 100 mbps ethernet and the best performance one way is about 10-11 MB/s (close to the theoretical limit). I've been thinking about an upgrade a checked the actual AV500 speed and they are connected at 337 mbps. So I've decided to pick up a couple of D-Link AV2000 adapters for the two always on adapters. Hoping for higher speeds for NAS access and better ping for PUBG.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
5. Get a newer router the Linksys ones were removed long ago. They were never great but they were cheap.
4. The cable modem is most likely fine. The only way to improve it if you have administrative access would be to put it in pass through mode (which may already be the case).
3. Yes the unplug test is still highly effective but your router is almost certainly the issue.
2. 5 GHz has a lot of channels, even with an area with lots of apartments I never had issues with 5 GHz.
1. Yes 5 GHz does not have the range of 2.4 GHz which is purely because of physics. Shorter wavelengths have problems getting around objects. If you get a newer router they typically have better antennae than anything Linksys ever made.

If you get a newer router it will have a faster SoC processor and hardware, better quality build. Every Linksys was built for low production cost rather than quality or performance.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I upgraded my powerline adapters to a couple of D-Link AV700s which run AV2 at 2000 mbps. I haven't done any serious testing but I was getting file transfer speeds of 46-48 MB/s one way last night. Not sure if the bottleneck is the powerline network or the NAS but I suspect it's probably the powerline networking. Still I'm pretty happy with that as transfering ISOs across the network has been an issue lately.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, At least it's not Comcast? Their "2gig" internet service is a 10gig fiber handoff with 2gig limit on the port, and even though they're charging a premium $300/mo for it, they still enforce their monthly data caps.

If anyone signs up for this service and then gets mad their speed test isn't scoring "9000mbps+" on speedtest.net, please punch yourself in the dick.

obligatory speed test result:

:awesome: :awesome:

There's a real point of diminishing returns where the speedtest software and/or client hardware isn't keeping up.

Maybe I need to put the Linksys E3000 back in the OP for this type of connection.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I've been having intermittent modem bed-making GBS threads for 4 days now. I have fairly standard OP equipment (SB6183/Archer C5) and am getting fatal T4 timeouts about once every 45 minutes I've had a tech here twice, to no avail. My provider Spectrum (formerly TWC) is running a 7 day "study" of my internet where engineers will examine what's going on wrt my line and my building's service, and call me back on the 8th day with findings and steps. Is this a thing..?

This can be a thing. Tracing the problem is important. Could be anything from a bad cable connection to the modem just making GBS threads itself or the router having issues. I've lived in places where the high humidity corroded the copper connections at the wall socket.

I used to go through a lot of ADSL modems with the solution ending up buying a decent modem with proper cooling. I'm still using the modem I bought at the time I posted this thread (until I get a fibre install towards the end of this year).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Yes or no on the USG?

The USG is fine for that use. The cut back interface features on the USG won't matter. The edgerouters in the OP are good if you are going to use the interface regularly and need to squeeze every last bit of performance out of a gigabit fibre connection.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe a note about it in the OP? Dunno if thats a good idea or not...

For most cases it's not the best choice. I did think about adding it in January but decided against it. I'll add to my list to reconsider.

Literally checked my NAS to make sure it has the latest firmware. It's firewalled, requires login and has antivirus. I like the advice given in the article to change default passwords and disable remote administration. Seriously companies should ship with a custom password like I've seen on ASUS routers and remote admin should be off by default on consumer devices.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It appears that it's the maximum wireless throughput based on this review and testing.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...howall=&start=2

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
ER Lite is stated to being able to reach up to 950 mbps. Ubiquiti's marketing states 1 million packets per second but that's a very cultivated throughput figure.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

If the USG can, the ER Lite can.

That's pretty cool.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Gigabit routing is fine. My reference to the 1 million packets per second is a jab at the unrealistic benchmarking their marketing team has used.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

It's more realistic than Cisco, for what it's worth.

This sounds worth investigating.

e: Oh yeah the most disorganised and poorly planned point to point wireless setup I've ever seen. I should put a Linus Tech Tips warning as well because it's kind of infuriating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYJFwXw1ZIc

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 25, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Are the Netgear GS105 and GS108 still unbeaten in terms of a wire-speed unmanaged gigabit switch?

Exploring my new apartment (WaveG installer doesn’t show up until Friday :negative:), I found some pre-installed CenturyLink CPE that I probably need to ask about (it’s all pre-installed so you can activate it without asking a tech, I assume) removing. However, I also found a nice little patch panel which got me thinking about simply installing my ER-4 in there along with a GS105 to service all the jacks in my apartment, and then adding other switches as needed (like a GS108 near my TV/computer desk to feed those guys).

I'm still using a GS105 in the office. I say use it. Until 1 Gbps seems like a terrible bottleneck in the home this advice probably isn't going to change.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

That’s what I figured; stops me from spending money too.

I guess what I have in my closet is a “structured media enclosure”. Is there a general purpose bracket + zip-tie combination I can use to neatly mount my ER-4 and GS105?

The most I found was a rackmount plate that you could slot an edgerouter or switch into. Might be best to fabricate something.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The OP was updated to reflect that. Once the airports are all out of circulation that section will be removed from the OP (probably in 4-5 months time when I'll review the OP again). Apple are still providing limited support and even provided a firmware update this year but that was only to address a serious vulnerability.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Can you remove this line or update it from the OP:

"Updated for 2016 by Rukus, Antillie, and CrazyLittle."

It's v out of date and confuses people.

I've edited that line to reduce confusion.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
An article on the addictive nature of home networking.

quote:

“I can mount a fourth AP right there and push 5GHz into the bedroom” sounds simple enough, until it’s six hours later and you’ve almost fallen through your ceiling four times and you can’t stop bleeding from your forehead from where you scraped yourself on roof nails and you’ve got sheetrock dust in both eyes and you realize after digging through insulation that the hole you’ve just drilled isn’t actually reachable from any part of the attic you can squeeze yourself into. (Shortly after this, you find yourself googling “how to patch drywall holes in ceiling for dummies.”

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/enterprise-wi-fi-at-home-part-two-reflecting-on-almost-three-years-with-pro-gear/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've seen some positive reviews of the Huawei HG659 with respect to wifi performance. If they are providing it anyway try it out and if the wifi is fine then problem solved. If not go to Ubiquiti gear either an access point, or an edgerouter and access point.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
pfSense 2.4.4 Gold is going to be available to everyone for free.
https://www.servethehome.com/pfsense-2-4-4-makes-pfsense-gold-available-to-all/

quote:

Some big news out of one of the largest open source firewall distributions, pfSense. As of pfSense 2.4.4 users will get a major feature upgrade. Starting with that release, pfSense Gold will be available at no charge. pfSense Gold has a number of features that we think will appeal to STH readers that have not tried the service yet. Chiefly the auto config backup service and training.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Or try using something like Powerline or MoCa to create a wired connection for a second AP.

Powerline networking is two or three revisions on and the latest gear performs really well provided your wiring isn't hosed. There are some good options for powerline networking with the adapters including wifi hotspots.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Woof Blitzer posted:

But what excuse do I use for using optical links?

Everyone needs networks that run 10-400 Gbit/s. There's no reason to not have the highest performing gear (provided you can get it dirt cheap).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

That is a cool and interesting project. Line of site has a number of advantages, but I've come across line of site problems before. One time a local mobile company called to ask for the construction crane to be moved, the construction company had to explain that not only would in not move by a 12 storey building would be built there.

The idea of the 10 Mbit IR link is cool but I keep looking at the Ubiquiti AirFibre backhaul hardware. A lot with 100-300 km range.
https://www.ui.com/products/#airfiber

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
They changed the name of the app to UNMS, but didn't update any documentation just to make things more difficult.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So the thread op is from a few years ago, is an Archer AC router still a good pick or are there better options in the intervening years? I'm not opposed to a little setup. Currently using an Archer c5 v2. It's around 4 years old and in the last few months the wifi just stops working and has to reset, usually it'll start back up in around 30 seconds. Tried updating firmware and when that didn't solve it, setting up openwrt on it.

There are a lot of reasonable options for routers now. ASUS and Netgear have "gaming" routers which seem to work perfectly fine. There are an increasing number of options with wifi 6 although I believe there is still some arguments around what that is exactly.

On the high end ubiquiti have the Alien router which claims to have 3.8 Gbps of wireless bandwidth.
https://amplifi.com/alien

The UniFi Dream Machine which is pricey but includes packet inspection and good wireless. The only issue I'm aware of is that it needs a functioning internet connection to work and if your provider uses a vlan then you need another working router to start the setup.
https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

Really it's a balance of features versus price.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I have a single Ubiquiti NanoHD station on the ceiling of the second floor of my house which works amazingly but drops out a bit in my backyard. I'd like to add another piece of Ubiquiti gear to get a bit more coverage. Doesn't need to be outdoor, I can put it in the room closest downstairs and get enough coverage. What would be my best bet? I have Cat5 drops in every room so I can do either POE or a WiFi repeater. I'd rather not do another NanoHD since I can't ceiling mount it but open to options.

Ubiquiti aircube ac has good range, and can power it off poe. I use one in my current office and I'm setting up one as a wireless uplink in my new office. It's about half the price of a NanoHD.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Network adjacent, but you all are a knowledgeable sort. The old laptop I was using as a central home server blew up and I find myself out of old hardware I can throw Linux onto and call it a day. What are the general guidelines for a middling home server setup? Use case would primarily be running a dozen or so assorted dockerized services with the most intensive being a Plex server, but it would be nice to spin up and down VMs as well. I also plan to buy/builf a NAS at some point so SMB/NFS duties until then as well.

Tbh, the old laptop was doing a fine job until it wasn’t so I assume hardware specs would have to be insane. I’m doing fine with everything moved over to a RasPi, but those tend to eat SD cards before too long.

This is somewhere between a server (pretty minimal hardware can be used) running unraid or get an off the shelf solution like a QNAP 2 or 4 bay server. For the QNAPs running plex with transcoding you need one with an intel cpu rather than an ARM cpu and 2GB or more of ram (depending on how much the docker containers use).

The NAS thread is a good place for more specific discussion.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Heners_UK posted:

It's impossible to say at this point I'd imagine, but is there any comment on longevity? My Netgear R7000 (which overall has been solid for me until now*) has lasted about 7 years, which I'd say is a decent lifespan for a router (my WRT54GL lasted 6 years and was still going strong when I moved to this). CAD$400 for the features I've been seening and the Wife Acceptance Factor is something I'll consider if it gets me about the same lifespan, but won't lie, it's steep. Admittedly this thread doesn't deal in "I've been happy for ages and not thought about my reliable router" often but it's been a while since we've had such a post about the UDM. I suppose I'm asking people to validate if the UDM is the current solid choice.

*The R7000 has started dropping all network connections and seemingly soft-restarting every 10ish hours. Logs don't contain anything useful (seemly just worried about connections and blocked sites). Fully patched it last night, because their auto update didn't and I happened to see a firmware update on the support page. Poor timing with WfH.

You're right about this thread not being about longevity. Some of the routers previously recommended could hardly handle a boomer sending "hilarious" emails without overheating and crashing. I think in recent times Netgear and ASUS got more serious about their cooling solutions.

Generally Ubiquiti gear seems to last a long time but you tend to get the higher cost with that. The UniFi Dream Machine has a quad core processor and I assume SoC components for wireless and firewall use so it should have good cooling, and the associated long life. Yet you never know.

Just make a call over price and past experience provided the manufacturer hasn't made any changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm considering a Ubiquiti router like the ER-X or USG to replace my cheap old router. Does anyone have experience using either of these with an ISP that needs the router to do "VLAN tagging" on the Internet traffic? My ISP requires this for the new fiber line they ran to my house.

I have two concerns about this. The first concern is that my current router disables a bunch of things (such as all QoS features) when VLAN tagging is enabled, and I don't know enough about networking in general to know whether this is just because my router is a $50 consumer router or if it's some inherent part of VLAN tagging in general. The second thing I'm worried about is that I've read guides to these routers that say their throughput gets slower as you turn on more routing features, and I would be super annoyed if I couldn't hit the 940 Mb/s that I'm paying for because my router slows down when I turn on the feature that it needs to use to even connect to the Internet in the first place.

I run an edgerouter-x at home and my isp uses vlan tagging which is a bit of a pain as you can't set it up from the GUI (I like being lazy). The following link has instructions on setting the vlan tag. The vif part needs to be set to the ISP's vlan number.

code:
configure
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 10 address 10.0.10.1/24 
commit ; save ; exit
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204962254-EdgeRouter-Create-virtual-interfaces-with-VLAN-IDs