Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't trust any antenna amplifier not to poo poo out garbage on frequencies it's not supposed to.

Depending on where you are, I'd go with an unamplified directional antenna, assuming most of the transmitters you want to pick up are in one general direction. https://www.antennaweb.org is a good tool for figuring out where your local transmitters are.

I’m in the middle of Seattle (literally 1.2 miles from most of the transmitters), so I don’t need much. I’d really like to reliably get KCPQ (Fox) for football in the fall, but for whatever reason, my HDHomeRun seems to occasionally only get the ATSC 3.0 low bitrate HEVC stream and misses the usual 8VSB signal.

We barely watch live TV; this is mostly for the simple thing of being able to do something as seemingly simple as watch free, OTA TV on my computer while playing video games or something. And an excuse to tinker…

Reading more about my device though, I’m pretty sure I was hilariously crushing the input signal to the HDHomeRun.

PitViper posted:

Do you need to use the same coax for data as you do for OTA? Easiest would be to segregate the two segments, I have a separate coax bundle and splitter specifically for OTA vs the dedicated feed for the modem, but I could split it down further if needed.

Yeah — on phone, so can’t draw, but basically I have Comcast in, router directly to my modem. Then, I have run all the existing coax drops in my house (fun fact: there are 3-4 I can’t tone out, so I sense some hidden splitters somewhere! And, I found a live jack that I could have used two years ago to deploy a WiFi AP…) to that 8-port MoCA compliant distro amp. That is the amp I want to feed with OTA, with the end result of every coax port in my house having OTA TV on it (under 800 MHz) and MoCA data connectivity (Band D), should I decide I need Ethernet somewhere I can’t run cable / want a backup to an Ethernet link.

If I went back to cable TV, I’d just run the Comcast line directly to that amp, and hook my modem up to the passive -4.5 dB port.

quote:

Otherwise I'd try it without the amp. I'm about 30-40 miles from our broadcast towers, and don't need an amplifier. I've got a directional antenna in the attic aimed basically to the middle of the three main tower sites, and don't have any issues with reception except during really terrible storms.

What HD Home run are you using, btw? I've got to add one eventually, because most of our TVs are networked anyway, and it'd be nice to have a centralized DVR they could stream from.

I got the Flex 4K; don’t need a DVR, don’t really need the four tuners, but it’s nice and cheap.

Here’s my LV cabinet I finished a few weekends ago, to clean up random stuff shoved around:

I’ve since buttoned down most of the wiring / got rid of the old cables on the side that I had previously attached to the wall… now it’s all in the ENT coming in from the top. Got a S33 too, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Have you tried plugging your Comcast feed into your HD HomeRun? Around here they still feed the local broadcast stations in the clear that a TV tuner can pick up even if you don't pay for cable TV.

I haven’t… I would just need to add a splitter, but I think I’m just going to mount an unamplified antenna properly on my roof and run it down.

This is what I ended with, the white coax is the unamped output from the Winegard antenna — it’s probably eating extra unnecessary loss from an unpowered PA. I’ll add another ENT tube to the top to run the roof antenna coax down.

All so I can reliably watch the Lions crush my hopes and dreams this fall, again.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah I ran into this at work, IIRC, the chipset used totally can support the complexity of multiple VLANs, UI’s SW just does not export it. So — as long as you only want ONE VLAN per port max, it is fine.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Been running 2.0.9hf2 on my ER4 for a few months and it's been solid. Kinda seems the platform has been abandoned cause CVE fixes and stuff are very few and far between.

It’s a shame the SoC is Cavium / Marvell because even when they finally drop support / EOL the HW, it’s a good piece of kit and perfectly suitable for running another distro on… but a lot of the HW features I’m sure are locked behind some NDAs and it’d be a lift for FOSS to release an alternate distro for it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MoCA is awesome -- been really happy with the Actiontec stuff. I'm still running Ethernet to do it 'right', but there are some rooms in my house that it is just plain impractical to run Ethernet too. Plus, MoCA makes it nice and easy to have some redundant paths I can leave hooked up and have RTSP manage it for me.

QQ -- where the hell are people selling their used gear these days? I used to use [H] and similar, but I have EdgeSwitches and other UI hardware just sitting around. eBay is my last resort (fees) but better than nothing I guess.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think the line to draw with UniFi stuff is at switching / wireless — not routing. OPNsense + UniFi APs + switches is what I plan to moving too…

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

Putting OPNSense on one of those fanless celeron setups with the 2.5G ports? That’s what I’m leaning to now, the UDM Pro SE is nice but I am hesitant to get locked in to their stuff. Will definitely get a couple of the wifi6 APs when they are available here again though.

I think I posted about it earlier but I went for a ThinkSTation Tiny M90q where I’m going to 3D print a bracket for my Chelsio T520 which I’m going to use as the primary routing NIC via PCIe riser + running Proxmox. Also has two M.2 slots, so it’s easy to run a mirror zpool for Proxmox.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Volguus posted:

Something weird happened on my network yesterday. I got a switch from ebay, Dell Powerconnect 5524P (24 gigabit ports, POE, 2 10G SFP+) to replace my existing 16 port unmanaged tp-link switch. I installed it, factory restored it (just from the reset button, i don't have a serial cable just yet), and started to move my connections over.

The switch is in the basement, and I have cables pulled to every room where there are other switches that give connectivity to whatever devices are in that room. I didn't want to cut connectivity to everyone else in the house so I just moved to the new switch my office and bridged the 2 switches with a new cable.

All seemed to be working fine for a couple of minutes, after which all hell broke loose. 90%+ packet loss throughout the network. Like ... a poison. After many hours of troubleshooting and an angry family, I figured out that if I move all connections to the new switch and disconnect the old switch, everything is fine. Somehow, the old switch being in the network is causing mayhem.

Is that ... possible? Or is there likely another issue here that I should be looking at? For the moment I don't need the old switch, but I had plans to put it in service in another room. Could be the POE from the new switch to mess with old one? I don't know what got over me to buy a poe switch, I thought that it'd be neat if/when I want to power some wifi APs or some such. Never expected these kinds of issues.

Is there an accidental loop somewhere? Sounds like a broadcast storm possibly. The Dell is smart enough to have STP or RSTP, your unmanaged one, highly unlikely.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am newly intrigued by powerline networking... I have a set of driveway lights along my driveway, which is probably ~50 meters long or so. Conduit run under the driveway / in the fence 30 years ago and is on its own dedicated circuit (yay) so I have AC power out there, but it would be virtually impossible to run Ethernet out there.

I want to put a camera down there (Ubiquiti G4) and I have AC power, so I was thinking I could do a powerline networking setup and then toss a PoE injector in a junction box out there.

1. Are there things similar to MoCA filters that prevent signaling from escaping out to the grid / help w/ security?
2. Is there a way to keep it isolated to only a single circuit? IIRC it's a ~10 MHz carrier coupled onto the AC lines; I could put a low-pass filter (assuming I can find something UL listed) or similar to attenuate the signal to avoid issues from it bouncing around my entire house. (Breaker -> Filter -> <PLC Adapter> -> driveway lighting circuit).
3. Any recommendations for units that can tolerate VLANs + have knobs to tweak (i.e., if I want to force 100 Mbit operation, not have auto-neg, etc etc)?

Agrikk posted:

Okay, so what's the zeitgeist on home mesh wireless?

I have a pair of ASUS RT-AC68U routers that are configured to use as AiMesh internal access points using the internal LAN ports as gig switches and wired backhaul to my network core.

And I am sick to death of these POSes. They spontaneously break mesh, isolating half of my house. They lock up and kill wireless completely. Blah blah blah.

So I'm looking for a new set of access points that have full-mesh capability and have a few questions/requirements:

1. Is there a need for cat-5e gigabit wired backhaul lines anymore? I'm currently using them for my ASUS WAPs, but if technology has moved on, then so be it

2. I am looking for access points only. No managed firewall, no parental controls, no security addons

3. a couple of ethernet ports is a nice to have so I can use them as switches for additional wired gear

4. I have a 4 bedroom 3000' two-story house (with an entertainment center and extensive home office) that's rectangular in shape with bedrooms along the length of the upstairs and an entertainment center

5. at the moment there are 20+ devices using my wireless network (smart watches, laptops, phones, IoT devices) spread evenly across both WAPs

6. SNMP and syslog capability is a nice to have

I use UniFi APs / switches, with an EdgeRouter 4 (probably going to be OPNsense soon).

1. If you have copper running from point-to-point to support the APs, it will always be superior to wireless backhaul, even if that has dedicated radios for it.

2. UniFi APs is what I would go for -- you don't have to run UniFi OS (and I wouldn't, personally... though I use it for my parents) for routing. Just need the controller running somewhere to manage the APs.

3. UniFi in-wall units can do this; most of the APs do not. Flex Minis are $30 though, and PoE powered.

4. I run 5 APs in a 2200 sf house, with 4 floors + garage. Not all broadcast 2.4, and I've tuned the minimum RSSI / transmit powers so they can all run at the lowest transmit power. It is painful though only have 2 non-DFS 5 GHz channels to use at 80 MHz bandwidth; UI does not seem to support U-NIII frequencies up at channel 161 yet (and I don't know if client devices would either).

5. I run three SSIDs -- main network (2.4/5 same SSID) and then infrastructure and infrastructure_24 (used for IoT poo poo, separate VLAN). The latter two run with extremely low allowable bitrates (maximize compatibility) and adjusted DTIM thresholds for the entirely too many ESP32-WROOM-based IoT things I have.

6. I think the UniFi controller allows you to forward to a remote syslog server but I haven't bothered setting it up yet.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

That’s my homeowner Ethernet kit; punching down is super easy and there is zero reason to not do it if you are able too. If I have to crimp an end, those are the Klein pass through jacks which make it absurdly easy to crimp since you can feed the individual wires through and not worry about length.

If you are making your own, you will also want a tester. Only reason I have made my own is for camera and AP runs but I’ve started to just end in a female jack + punch down and use a 0.5 ft or 1 ft patch from Monoprice. Slim run cables are awesome.

Also, bump on Powerline Networking question

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Splinter posted:

Are there any cons to enabling OFDMA and TWT on a TP-Link WiFi 6 router? From what I can tell, these features seem beneficial, but they also came disabled by default. We only have a few WiFi6 clients currently, but if there's not really a downside I just assume enable these now in case I forget about these settings in the future.

It would be odd to me to have OFDMA in a home deployment. Even some of the UniFi APs AFAIK don't have functional OFDMA implementations / it's not enabled. Definitely would not flick it on for anything that would have IoT / non-state-of the art devices on it -- I think the symbol length goes up w/ OFDMA on, regardless of the guard interval setting and I could see more "brittle" devices being unhappy with that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rexxed posted:

If it's the hardware, sometimes the power brick is failing and the device gets flaky without consistent voltage. Your various issues could mean it's something like that happening, it's worth a shot trying a new power supply. I usually get generic ones from Amazon with that same voltage and higher current capacity because they lie about what they can output. You could probably get one from ubiquiti as well if you don't want to mess around.

I think a lot of people who have routers that act up after 4+ years often have this kind of problem but it's by no means guaranteed to be that, it's just one possibility.

lovely electrolytic capacitors acting up / failing after running at the edge of their thermal envelope or in excess of surge current specs maybe... electronics just don't like heat.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Am I missing something in the UniFi line up for this use case:

My brother is in an apartment in Philly, and it's a newer one with the usual structured media enclosure (SME) containing a Verizon FIOS gateway, patch panel, etc etc. When I lived in a similar unit, I put an EdgeRouter 4 + switch inside that enclosure, so all of my apartment ports were connected. He has 4 ports coming out of the patch panel in that enclosure, of which only one is currently hooked up to the output of the FIOS gateway.

However, in his case... I want to put the AP in the living room and ideally tuck gateway + controller + switch functionality into that structured enclosure. Looking at McCann's handy chart... Ubiquiti didn't seem to design something for this use case? It's like you have to use a UXG-Lite + USW-Mini in the SME to get the basic functionality in there. Why don't they make a single box, hosts controller, 5 switch ports, basic little guy to tuck in as CPE in such situations?

I'm gonna ask him to find the 4th port to see if it's in the living room somewhere, because at least then I could use the UniFi Express, put it in living room, and run its LAN port back to a switch in the SME to make everything 'live'.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

They've got a few solutions that are close to what you want but they're all optimized for a different goal. I think the Dream Router being the "single box" solution maybe got missed because of the included AP?

The Dream Router is meant to go in a communal space rather than a closet, has the AP, Router, Controller, and PoE Switch, all-in-one. You could put one of those in the enclosure, and then run another AP using the patch panel.

The Unifi Express, is a cloud controller + Gigabit WAN gateway + AP, but no switch. And is designed for tiny deployments. You could put one of those plus a switch in your enclosure. You'd have two devices though.

Your proposed solution of the Gateway Lite + a switch is probably the best feature wise, even if its split over two devices. The Gateway Lite is better for people like me who don't touch the cloud ecosystem too. Being able to to go with either a Mini for a simple 5 port, or a USW-Flex for a PoE 5 port (The Flex you need to buy a PoE++ adapter since you're not powering it off of an existing PoE++ line), just going with a US-8-60W might be a better option if you need PoE though, as its wall powered. I think if you can you'd want the AP you plan to install being PoE powered rather than needing an outlet and a PoE injector though.

Well, good news at least, he found the fourth port:

Maybe the folks thought about this when they wired this up. But with this, I just have to have my brother work through tracing the ports (probably will just have him use switches and look for LEDs since he doesn't have tools) and I can put a UX in the living room, run WAN into it, LAN out to a switch by the TV + a switch in the SME. I have 2-3 spare USW-Minis anyways, and that'll fall under the device limit, so that might be the best option forward... though the lack of PoE kinda sucks. I could add an injector to the line going back to the SME though.

The enclosure is tucked away in a corner near some ducts, so despite the small square footage, I think the WiFi performance would suck tucking the thing into the closet.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cyks posted:

How many jacks do you need live on the patch panel in the enclosure?

If it was me and both those jacks are properly terminated, I’d put a Dream Router there and connect one of the PoE ports to the second jack and run it to the second AP. No switches needed.

The Unifi express (UX) is the small form factor dream machine btw, if you want the device to run the controller (Uxg-lite requires a separate device like a cloud key, PC or cloud hosted). Not that you need a controller for home use, but it’ll make it a lot easier if you ever want to provide them support remotely.

Honestly, I think he just needs one for his workstation -- but I figured I'd just make them all live. I'm thinking UX + USW-Mini in the living room is the minimum I can get away with (lets him hardwire TV, PS5, etc.) and then if he says he's never going to use the other port, then just patching in the closet will be enough to make his workstation live.

And yeah, I want the UX because it has the controller -- part of the reason I want to upgrade him is so I can support him remotely like I do my parents. Doesn't require much, but recently walking them through configuration of the FIOS gateway and their existing router (which is my old Apple AirPort Express from... 2011, 2012-ish? the flat square one), I'd rather just get the entire family on the UniFi ecosystem and make my life easier too.

So:

FIOS -> Patch -> Living Room Jack 1- -> UX WAN ----> UX LAN ----> USW-Mini -> Living Room Jack 2 --> Patch --> Patch ---> Workstation

And 3 of the USW-Mini ports go to TV, PS5 and whatever. No injector needed, I can just send him one of my dual-port USB-C things from Anker and call it a day for powering the UX and Mini.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

If you're already putting them in the living room instead of the enclosure, why not just have a Dream Router and leave it at that? Since it already has the 4 port PoE. WAN to the living room UDR, and for the wired LAN somewhere else you can put a mini in the enclosure to the workstation. or you can just jumper it with a patch.

That's where my Googling started out, UDR vs. UX. UX is a bit newer, UDR is long in the tooth... figured the UX could be expandable in the sense of being a spare AP when my brother moves. I don't really care about the 700 Mbps effective limit on the UDR w/ IPS/IDS, my brother won't care.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ryanrs posted:

How does a lovely 2.4-only device even know you're turning 5 GHz on and off?

I wouldn't think a 2.4 only device like a ESP32-based thing would even be aware of 5GHz -- IIRC the analog front end / entire PHY there is simply 2.4 only. The world does not exist to its ADC outside of 2.4.

Devices that have both OTOH have the ability to bounce between them -- the only IoT poo poo I have that can touch 5 GHz is my Echo Dot. It's possible the firmware is written so brittle that it doesn't implement band steering / anything and simply maintains the single SSID you configure it with.

Dumb question... 2.4/5/6 all share the same BSSID / MAC from the AP, right? I don't think there is a different MAC per band, is there? But then WiFi 7 MLO, you do need to be able to tell the difference between STAs...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

i needed a filter in front of my cable modem because i guess that particular model gets weird when there is a moca adapter present. i put another one where the wire came into the house just as cheap insurance for the dang college kids living near me. who knows what theyre up to.

Interesting; I have an Arris S33 but no filter on it. Then again, the CATV run from Comcast goes only to my modem and nowhere else -- Coax in the house I just have wired up to an antenna / my own distribution amplifier, so I don't have any MoCA filters installed.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Getting some weird RSTP issues with UniFi now... I realized my den is the coolest room in the house, so I moved my new NAS build down there, since I have a MoCA adapter in that room also. Moved a switch to be connected to that MoCA adapter to feed the NAS until I get around to running fiber to that spot.

This may have proven to be one too many switches on MoCA... trying to access the BMC interface or TrueNAS interface, connection drops pretty frequently and I see UniFi network reporting its blocking on the Uplink port of the switch. Trying to figure out in the logs where it thinks the loop is being created, but topologically, there should be no loop. The only thing the new switch is connected too is the BMC and NIC1 of my NAS for downlink.

I have two other switches hanging off the MoCA interfaces that have been flawless for years -- and one of them with two Sonos Amps attached has intentionally blocked STP on the Amp ports as Sonos uses some weird STP variant.

I do have my RSTP priorities set correctly, I think:

* Trunk: 8192
* Leaf 0, Leaf 1: 16384
* Next level (MoCA + anything else directly attached): 32768 (total 5 switches: garage, kitchen, den, office)
* Anything further: 36864 (1 switch: office desk switch)

Can't figure out why adding this one switch has suddenly thrown everything for a (heh) loop. UniFi topology detection is notoriously dumb and has decided the new problematic switch is the 'parent' of the others.

movax fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 22, 2024

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

WiFi 6 was mostly about better total system performance for lots of clients and barely improved single client performance. 6E expanded into a bunch of new spectrum, hopefully getting you clean air until your neighbor upgrades too. 7 will increase single client speeds again, but by using even wider channels and even bonding together 2.4 And 5ghz on a single connection: https://www.wiisfi.com/#wifi7

Edit: also we already had 2gbps wifi 10 years ago as 802.11ad, nobody wanted it and it died: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Gigabit_Alliance

There are a lot more non-overlapping channel sets on 6 GHz which will be great even as that spectrum fills up. 5 GHz is only 3 channels if you don't touch DFS channels and use 80 MHz width.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Getting some weird RSTP issues with UniFi now... I realized my den is the coolest room in the house, so I moved my new NAS build down there, since I have a MoCA adapter in that room also. Moved a switch to be connected to that MoCA adapter to feed the NAS until I get around to running fiber to that spot.

This may have proven to be one too many switches on MoCA... trying to access the BMC interface or TrueNAS interface, connection drops pretty frequently and I see UniFi network reporting its blocking on the Uplink port of the switch. Trying to figure out in the logs where it thinks the loop is being created, but topologically, there should be no loop. The only thing the new switch is connected too is the BMC and NIC1 of my NAS for downlink.

I have two other switches hanging off the MoCA interfaces that have been flawless for years -- and one of them with two Sonos Amps attached has intentionally blocked STP on the Amp ports as Sonos uses some weird STP variant.

I do have my RSTP priorities set correctly, I think:

* Trunk: 8192
* Leaf 0, Leaf 1: 16384
* Next level (MoCA + anything else directly attached): 32768 (total 5 switches: garage, kitchen, den, office)
* Anything further: 36864 (1 switch: office desk switch)

Can't figure out why adding this one switch has suddenly thrown everything for a (heh) loop. UniFi topology detection is notoriously dumb and has decided the new problematic switch is the 'parent' of the others.

Moved the switch upstairs and tested it out, no issues. I replaced the MoCA adapter with another one I had in the closet, and bingo-bango, problem solved. I'll have to factory reset the 'flaky' one / see what's up... it never caused problems before, so maybe there is something 'stuck' in config, or it's actually bad HW and it is marginal on the RF front-end, who knows.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I've decided to use WiFi 7 as the excuse to upgrade my Apple devices, actually... or at least part of the reason. My iPhone 13 has a non-functional charging port + battery is decaying and with how lovely the build quality has gotten on those, I'd rather just get a new one than spend money on a new battery + repair of my existing one (RIP eWaste), if the rumors for this fall hold true. Likewise, my M2 MBA is virtually perfect, battery only has 206 cycles on it since October 2022 and is the perfect laptop in every way... but next year if a M4 model comes with a WiFi 7 radio, I might use that as an excuse to upgrade.

I spent 30 minutes on a lunch break looking up the radio module on the mobo to see if it was reasonably possible to rework on the mainboard of the M2 MBA, but 1) antenna differences, 2) the chances of the footprint actually being the same between mobos is low, Apple has no reason to do that.

Do I have WiFi 7 APs at the office? Nope... but I do at home and this logic feeds my brainworms. The U6-Pro was starting to reboot nightly (off to eBay you go, as-is for $20!) so a U7-Pro made sense as nothing I owned really took advantage of the 4x4 configuration of the U6-Pro.

until Ubiquiti trolls everyone and never rolls out MLO on the U7-Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Novo posted:

I've been using MoCA adapters as the backbone of my home network for several years. Recently, they've started going out for 5-15 minutes at a time, once or twice a day. Everything goes from high PHY rates and 0% packet loss to 100% packet loss. Because it happens seemingly at random and sometimes in the middle of the night, it's been difficult to troubleshoot.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Isolated MoCA splitter from ISP coax
- Upgraded to Amphenol MoCA specific splitter
- Capped unused splitter ports with 75 ohm terminators
- Removed the third adapter ("MoCA C")
- Buying new MoCA adapters of a different brand
- Factory reset of the MoCA adapters
- Manually setting the "preferred NC" on one adapter
- Putting the preferred NC adapter on the splitter input
- Grounding the MoCA splitter
- Monitoring switch port data rates to look for congestion

I'm running constant ping tests from hosts attached to each switch and they all seem to observe the same behavior; suddenly the MoCA network goes out and only hosts on the switch are reachable. In some cases, the behavior seems to spread from the MoCA adapters to the switch, which stops responding to pings too. This feels significant to me, but I am more of a software guy.

At this point I'm not sure the problem is with the MoCA plant, which performs flawlessly 99% of the time. Should I be looking for broadcast storms or something? My intuition tells me that mere congestion or noise would degrade network performance, not make it blink out completely for 15 minute stretches. FWIW, the switches and router are all Mikrotik. The MoCA adapters are now a mix of goCoax and ScreenBeam.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My recent MoCA issue (broadcast storm, STP/RSTP blocking) was a single adapter -- don't know if it was 'defective' or just needed to be rebooted, but I replaced it with another one from my closet and the issues went away. in my case, my network has been stable -- I just added another computer in a room that didn't have one before and I was getting port blocking. Swapped adapter and issue went away, I have not tried the factory reset option or anything on the 'broken' one. All ActionTec.

It looks like you completely replaced all your adapters though... have you added anything new at all? STP/RSTP?