Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Am I correct in thinking that having MoCA encryption/filters is unnecessary in a standalone suburban house?

Just set up a 2-box network using the existing coax runs in my house and it has been the very definition of plug-and-play. Went from 250mbs down on 5G wi-fi to 950mbs down using the adapters. Rock-solid connection too.

Do I need to worry about turning on MPS and what not? I looked into it a bit and it sounds like a hassle to set up on these ScreenBeam adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Is your coaxial run connected to the street? Are you certain? You can hide splitters anywhere. If so you need filters. Period. It's a bus network and any neighbor within range with a moca adapter will wind up on your network or causing problems. If you aren't using the catv line from the street at all just go unhook it. Bingo bango air gap filtering.

The latter option is fine with me since we don't have cable TV anymore.

I ambled over to the side of my house, unscrewed/yanked off the panel so helpfully marked "Television" and unscrewed the cables on the left from the below splitters. I have no clue where these cables actually run to but would I be correct in assuming at least one of them runs out to the green cable box next to the street? Or should I just unscrew all of them to be safe?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

That's impressive. I would tape and number left/right in case you need to put any back, but if you get in there one should disappear into a cavity that isn't your house, likely "down", and the rest will go elsewhere. That's the one. Otherwise yeah just keep unscrewing. You might wind up killing your moca connection which may run through there, this is when you need to do troubleshooting on combining them back together and why you should really find the one from the street.

Put your phone on wifi, disable mobile data. Fire up a streaming app. If it cuts out you got the wrong one. Assuming your wifi is on the other side of the moca from the router. If it's not, zoom from the desktop to the phone with a screen share that's moving (YouTube). Same test.

You can also just go to the street box, if there's only 2 connections you can just unscrew the one that goes to your house. If you can't tell ask your neighbor if they have internet or TV via. <spectrum|xfinity>, if no unscrew both. If yes ask if you can coin toss their internet down. Unscrew one, have em go to a website or fire up Netflix.

I did some more finagling around (and did actually end up finding my moca cable connected on that bottom splitter). The rest of the coax cables connected to the splitters run up and out. There are three conduits coming out of the ground; two resolve to cables that run through the compartment and into the garage, but third ends in this:

... which was already disconnected from anything but said after-mentioned cable coming out of the ground. Mission accomplished, I guess? (read: am too chickenshit to run out to the street and mess with city property lol)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Now that I'm thinking about it, our previous TV cable setup worked through a coax port on a Verizon-provided router (and I remember the set-top boxes would show up in the router dashboard) so it might have not even been using the street hookup in the first place?

Well, at least I got a little refresher on my home's communications infrastructure lol, thanks everyone!

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 13, 2024